• How is the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by Christian S.

Two days sounds just right- trust me. You'll have an excellent time; it will keep you very busy; they've added so much recently. :-D

by JackP

If you are traveling a good distance to get there, plan on spending the better part of an entire day looking at the museum's exhibits. There are some areas where you can sit outside on the lawn to enjoy a picnic lunch, so plan for that. There aren't too many places to grab a quick meal out there.
You also should spend some time (couple of hours??) across the street at the Strasburg Railroad (take the tour of the repair shop), and perhaps another hour or two in the model shops just down the road.
Enjoy the trip. This is one of the best museums I've seen in a very long time. Let's hope Pennsylvania keeps up the funding for it!!!

by jayrmli

And if you like a good steak, check out the Texas Roadhouse in Lancaster. Some of the best tasting steaks I've ever had! (Just be careful not to slip on the peanut shells on the floor!)

Jay
  by henry6

Don't look for operating layouts and hardware and equpment propped up on a track or little choo choos plying the uninitiated back and forth. Find excellent displays and stories of the human side of railroading...the railroads are not the center of attention but the people who made them run is what it isall about. It is the most different, informative, fascinating museum about anything I have ever seen: its about people, not machines, not technology. GO. GO. GO. And take the family and all your friends!

by jayrmli

I would also recommend the tour of the repair shop at Strasburg, unless you have little kids. They might not be too interested in that. Remember though that at least when I went, there was only one tour per day at noon and you needed to reserve it in advance.

Jay
  by Schuylkill Valley

Don`t forget Trains & Troops this year. Its November 6,7 . Two days pack of things to do and places to go.
Saturday night their having a 1940`s Big Band dance from 7:30 to 10:00pm. in the Rolling stock hall . The Civil War / WWII will be there too.

Len.

by Metalrailz

Thanks for all the helpful information, :-D
I plan to go when the fall foliage is peak. Adds richness to the photos..