• How is the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by IROQ1986

I am considering visiting the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania in Lancaster County in the near future for a day. I went on the website and it looks pretty good.

Is it worth the trip? Your opinions would be appreciated.

by rob216

I have always found it to be worth the trip to me. When ever I am up there, I find myself being in there for several hours reading the info on the locos and also just looking at what they have. It seems that everytime i do go up there, they have something new or something that I have just simply over looked. They also have a new section up there where the kids get to run some model trains and do some yard swicthing or waht ever the guy in there who runs decides on what to do. Well thats all I have for now. I'm sure many others will share there thoughts as well.

by yutzk

I might have to take a day and check this out sometime. I'm more of a modern railroad kinda guy myself, but i do appreciate the older steamers.

I've actually never been there and its only like 1 1/2 hrs from me. Maybe one of these weekends ill take the day and go...

Also will it bore someone that isnt totally into trains? Only ask cause my g/f isnt into em totally, but she can stand my railfanning and G scale hobby. lol

Kevin

by wis bang

I was there a few years after it opened. It was fantastic and I'd like to go back and see how it has expanded. The display along the wall facing the Straussburg RR was covered in a few hundred B & W photos of the LV mostly taken at Easton & Sayre. I bored my wife & kids to death as I spent alot of time looking at the LV scenes...Gotta' get time to go back!

by BEDT16RMLI

it is a great museum but they do not tell the history of the locomotives and where they operated. Like their G5 operated on Long Island and even has an LIRR tender I was told, also the 460 spent most of her life on Long Island. But what really gets me is outside in the yard there is an HK Porter 0-6-0t, her number is 13 and is from the Brooklyn Eastern District Terminal Ry it is not even mention

by NJ Vike

I've been there before I was a railroad fan and I recall there was a GG1 there, correct?

Ken

by rob216

Yes you are correct about them have a GG1. They actully have 2 of them there. The on that they have is the prototype with riveted sides and the other one is the one as we all knoe that has the smoth sides.

by NJ Vike

rob216 wrote:Yes you are correct about them have a GG1. They actully have 2 of them there. The on that they have is the prototype with riveted sides and the other one is the one as we all knoe that has the smoth sides.
Thanks. I thought my memory was starting to fail me.

I enjoyed the museum.

Ken
  by NJ Vike

chuchubob wrote:4935: http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/chuchu ... m=ba6d.jpg

4800: http://community.webshots.com/photo/286 ... PqymLGTJvW

The photo of 4800 was a "grab shot" from the car while waiting in traffic for the traffic light to turn green.
Excellent Shots!!!

Thanks

Ken

by IROQ1986

Your comments resoundingly positive!

I appreciate all of your comments and input. I will be visiting the museum in the fall.

by NJ Vike

Well, just visited there this weekend and they've added a nice Conrail engine to their collection since the last time I was there.

I wish they would've had more trains for the kids to go on as they were getting bored but who wants those trains ruined?

Ken

by Metalrailz

On visiting the area, would two days be enough for tours and rides? I also plan to go this fall.

by NJ Vike

Metalrailz wrote:On visiting the area, would two days be enough for tours and rides? I also plan to go this fall.
IMO, yes.

Now, if you want to see some live trains, drive to Hershey and Harrisburg where there is plenty of action.

Ken