• UTU Back Pay

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

by changed

I worked for NS for 1 year. I know work for CSX ( still a Conductor Trainee ) I was at NS for about 6months working as a marked up conductor since I still am a UTU member and still working under a UTU contract will I get back pay from NS? I have yet to be let go from NS either if that makes a difference!
  by Burner

Did you read the agreement?

It says that if you no longer work for company X because of resignation or being fired you get no backpay.
  by rondav

I believe the part of the agreement is actionable, find a lawyer, shouldn't be too hard, a good one will probably get it classified as a class action.
  by rondav

Actually Burner, the Q & A says that if you have a relationship with a carrier, you are eligible for back pay, there is nothing that says you have to be with the same carrier, so it appears that changed, and others like him, are still eligible for back pay that they are owed from working with previous carriers.
  by Burner

rondav wrote:Actually Burner, the Q & A says that if you have a relationship with a carrier, you are eligible for back pay, there is nothing that says you have to be with the same carrier, so it appears that changed, and others like him, are still eligible for back pay that they are owed from working with previous carriers.
Your attiude has changed quite a bit since the burning PM You sent me congratulating me on presenting bad information.

Actually we're not getting the whole story here. We dont know why he doesnt work for his original carrier anymore, If he was fired of voluntarily quit (retirement excluded) he doesnt get the back pay.

Side letter number 2 states that

"...the retroactive portion of those pay increases shall be applied only to employees who have an employment relationship with a carrier on the date of this Agreement or who retired or died subsequent to June 30, 2005"

The date of the agreement is 1 July 2008

I take this to mean that since he no longer has an employment relationship he does not get backpay from the NS.
  by COEN77

changed wrote:I worked for NS for 1 year. I know work for CSX ( still a Conductor Trainee ) I was at NS for about 6months working as a marked up conductor since I still am a UTU member and still working under a UTU contract will I get back pay from NS? I have yet to be let go from NS either if that makes a difference!
Mabey he is furloughed. Then he would be entitled to back pay.
  by changed

I am still an employe at NS I marked off sick 2 months ago and they have yet to fire me! They have called me a couple times and sent letters asking if I wanted to mark back up etc.. I have received nothing telling me I have been fired!

I left NS to go to CSX due to lack of work at NS I was getting 1 or 2 days a half in at least at CSX I have the gurantee to fall back on when it's slow!
  by rondav

doesn't matter what you or i take it too mean burner.

the letter states must have an employment relationship with a carrier. There are no qualifications to that statement, nothing about whether one is furloughed, resigned, must be with same carrier, etc, etc, etc,.

One factor, do you have an employment relationship with a carrier at the date the agreement takes effect, (july 1st, 2008) That is the only qualification. Changed does have a relationship with a carrier, therefore he is entitled to retroactive wages. Pretty simple.
  by Burner

well, we have a disagreement on interpretation here. The language is vague at best and I can hardly condsider laying off for 2 months straight an employment relarionship.

It is a little bit late to be asking this question. Should have asked long ago during the QandA sessions
  by rondav

Changed said he is working for CSX, that is his employee relationship with a carrier that he must have to get retroactive wages. His status with NS is irrelevant other than he worked for NS after June of 2005.
  by chopblock

Wow. You all should have been mouthpieces instead of railroaders the way you beat something to death.
Nice job guys.
  by Lmcgolf

not sure about other railroads but CSX checks will be dated and direct deposited on 8/29/08.
  by Burner

rondav wrote:Changed said he is working for CSX, that is his employee relationship with a carrier that he must have to get retroactive wages. His status with NS is irrelevant other than he worked for NS after June of 2005.

As I said before, we have a disagreement on interpretation. You interpret it as any carrier and I interpret it as the specific carrier that will be paying the back pay. Somehow I doubt he will see any money and perhaps you are correct and the union will get him some back pay.
  by doublecamp52

Hello I have a question. I work for NS Railway as a engineer. I belong to the UTU and have for twenty years plus. Will I receive retroactive wage pay even though I have a bonus I receive each year for being an engineer. I do not belong to the BLE. Thanks for any advice.
  by changed

Did you work as a conductor during the las 4 yrs or 3 yrs if so you will get 1 if not I doubt you will