• Next Walthers Passenger Train (for 2009) is...

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by Otto Vondrak

You beat me to it! I was just going to post! It looks like the 1948 version of the Century. New York Central fans, rejoice!

-otto-

by Amtrak207

Hey Otto,

Is it the '48 Century? Correct me if I am wrong but that is the set with the "Creek-series" ? Judging from the observation car next to the NYC engine, I am not so sure?

Then again my knowledge is modern-day Amtrak, and I could be mistaken.

Thanks a bunch guys, this is still one set I will purchase, and hopefully if they come out with the PRR Broadway Ltd, that will be another one.

-Tom

by NYCS

Oh boy... Just what my wallet needed...

The good news is that the modern-day NYCS executive train is about to get a lot bigger!

by the missing link

what a tease! pricewise, i think walthers has a good product compared to the brass of yore. they're pretty well executed/detailed. the hiawathas are sweet (not my road though), so if they follow that standard instead of generic cars, it's actually a pretty good value.

by Otto Vondrak

The '48 train did indeed have the "Creek" series cars.

I dont model MILW, but I have a feeling a Hiawatha Skytop lounge will be entering my roster soon!!

-otto-

by Amtrak207

Thought so, thanks Otto!

Ha yea same here, the Skytop Lounge will be added and "HEP'd up" for use as a private car coupled behind the upcoming Superliner I and II cars from Walthers.

Back on topic, I am glad that Walthers chose to do an eastern train this time around. I have never modeled or considered modeling the NYC, but I will def. get this train, after all...it IS the 20th Century Limited!

C'mon Walthers..... Broadway Ltd next year ;-)

-Tom

by Ken S.

I take both Tom and Otto are intending to model the Cedar Rapids? Provided that Walthers includes the decals for that car.

As for the 20th Century, if coaches are made I might get one or two for use as commuter cars. I still have to get the Empire Builder coaches for a late CNJ/early NJT train.

by Amtrak207

That is correct Ken, (by the way, great link to Cedar Rapids!)

I guess a formal announcement will come in July? (Isn't that when the Hiawatha was announced?)

What I am really curious is to see what accessories will be offered with it. (I have heard on the New York Central forum on Yahoo that Walthers was asking gathering ideas for structures (NYC style).

Perhaps someone can shed some more light on this?

-Tom

by Ken S.

Amtrak207 wrote:That is correct Ken, (by the way, great link to Cedar Rapids!)
AAPRCO was the first thing I thought of when it came to PVs.
What I am really curious is to see what accessories will be offered with it. (I have heard on the New York Central forum on Yahoo that Walthers was asking gathering ideas for structures (NYC style).
Now I'm getting excited and smelling a GCT kit being made. I'm also smelling Busch NYCTA Fishbowls and a new NYC Subway model or the R21/22 issued with GCT-TSQ Shuttle signs. Speaking of which, maybe I'll take my Shuttle for a spin around the layout.

by NYC27

At the Springfield, MA show this winter Walthers had a survey about potenial NYC models they told me they were considering doing this train. To go along with it they were considering a variety of NYC stations (I think Syracuse was one and Ann Arbor another) along with a standard NYC brick interlocking tower (like Berea, OH).

by Amtrak207

Hmmm if they did do a NYC brick tower (such as Berea), that should also please the Conrail modelers!

I am looking forward to the formal announcement. I just hope it is the 1948 20th Century they chose to do.

Tom

by Otto Vondrak

If they do the 1938 TCL, I'll be not as happy. That was the art deco version with the light gray and silver pinstripes, with different equipment to boot. It's hard to tell from the catalog cover, which looks like stylized artwork more than actual models.

-otto-

by Amtrak207

I agree with you Otto, I am not sure I would buy the series if it was the 1938 version, I def. prefer the '48 Century. (Funny thing is I model modern haha.)

From other forums online, it seems that Walthers will do the 48 Century, we shall see!

As discussed before, would def. like to see what structures will compliment the set!

-Tom

by pgengler

I don't really model the Central at all, but if they do the '48 Century, I think it'll be neat. I'll definitely pick up a few cars, at least, especially the Creek cars. (My girlfriend saw the Hickory Creek once and decided she liked how it look/the paint scheme.)