• Next Walthers Passenger Train (for 2009) is...

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

by AMTK1007

Dieter wrote:An update on this release; In last month's Terminal Hobby mailorder catalogue, there's a multiple page ad touting the 20th Century set, and the writing is extremely vague, perhaps intentionally.

It states that if your order soon, with your order, you will recieve a set of figures (probably Red Caps and passengers), and ONE FOOT of the famous 20th Century Limited CARPET.

My question is, do you get this bonus with;

1) Just the locomotives?

2) Only if you buy the COMPLETE SET of Passenger Cars TOGETHER IN ONE SWOOP?

3)Just ONE CAR if you order THIS MONTH?

D/
You will receive the figures and carpet ( to recreate the ad) witht he purchase of a complete set of 9 cars.
  by Dieter

OUCH! I was afraid that's what it was! I thought a different car would be released each month, and I didn't plan on buying the entire set. I guess I will have to make my own carpet.....

D/
  by Chessie GM50

Huh, first time i've posted in Model Railroading in a while!

I know of a couple people that are hoping that Walthers may produce something modern for the 2010 train of the year, and model the Cascade Talago (correct me if I misspelled that) in HO.

Cheers!
  by AMTK1007

Dieter wrote:OUCH! I was afraid that's what it was! I thought a different car would be released each month, and I didn't plan on buying the entire set. I guess I will have to make my own carpet.....

D/

The Train WILL be deliver at one car a month, but the figures and the carpet go only to those that preorder an entire train... so yes, the cost is spread out.
  by Dieter

Chessie GM50 wrote:Huh, first time i've posted in Model Railroading in a while!

I know of a couple people that are hoping that Walthers may produce something modern for the 2010 train of the year, and model the Cascade Talago (correct me if I misspelled that) in HO.

Cheers!
"TALGO" just a slip of the key, don't worry about it.

D/
  by spacecadet

AMTK1007 wrote: The Train WILL be deliver at one car a month, but the figures and the carpet go only to those that preorder an entire train... so yes, the cost is spread out.
Extremely dumb question, but *where* do you have to preorder to get the bonus? Only at Walthers? Can I preorder from another internet retailer that has prices lower than list? Any specific suggestions? I haven't seen the carpet mentioned anywhere other than at Walthers.com (and even they've removed mention of it now).

Re:

by daylight4449

Otto Vondrak wrote:You beat me to it! I was just going to post! It looks like the 1948 version of the Century. New York Central fans, rejoice!

-otto-
Man, this could be one really big opertunity! i'm already going to ask my parents for the hiathawa passanger car set, which means i can get the limited next year!
  by AMTK1007

spacecadet wrote:
AMTK1007 wrote: The Train WILL be deliver at one car a month, but the figures and the carpet go only to those that preorder an entire train... so yes, the cost is spread out.
Extremely dumb question, but *where* do you have to preorder to get the bonus? Only at Walthers? Can I preorder from another internet retailer that has prices lower than list? Any specific suggestions? I haven't seen the carpet mentioned anywhere other than at Walthers.com (and even they've removed mention of it now).
You may preorder it from the dealer of your choice, but be sure to inquire with the dealer how they plan to administer it. Presumably if you preorder the set from the dealer, then they will get the figure set and carpet to you...
  by Amtrak207

Would anyone have accurate consist info for #25/#26 for a 1950's and 1960's train? For example, I am specifically concerned with how many 4-4-2's, 10-6's, multiple cars of the same type were on a daily run, and were was their placement in the consist.

Also, if anyone has a consist (and placement) with the later 1960's Sleepercoaches (Slumbercoaches) and regular coaches, that would be greatly appreciated as well! Is the Walthers Pullman Coach for NYC accurate, for instance: http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/932-16785 ?

From what I heard, 3 engines (E8's?) were almost always assigned to #25/#26 to and from Harmon?

Once again, any info would be greatly appreciated in this matter, thank you!

-Tom
  by spacecadet

AMTK1007: Thanks, I ordered from Hiawatha Hobbies and now have an inquiry in about the extras. I also asked Walthers, and they said I'd get a separate box after delivery of all nine cars, but they didn't say who it would be coming from.
Amtrak207 wrote:Would anyone have accurate consist info for #25/#26 for a 1950's and 1960's train? For example, I am specifically concerned with how many 4-4-2's, 10-6's, multiple cars of the same type were on a daily run, and were was their placement in the consist.

Also, if anyone has a consist (and placement) with the later 1960's Sleepercoaches (Slumbercoaches) and regular coaches, that would be greatly appreciated as well! Is the Walthers Pullman Coach for NYC accurate, for instance: http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/932-16785 ?
Interesting that it sounds like you're planning to model the later days of the train.

I'm not going to be able to give you a 100% accurate car by car consist, but I can tell you the following things based on the excellent "20th Century Limited" book by Karl Zimmermann:

* The stainless steel cars (including sleepercoaches and coaches) are mostly at the front of the train, at least in the early days of these cars running in the consist. This was when the train was really being run as a combo of three trains: the Pacemaker, Commodore Vanderbilt and Century. The equipment seems to have still been kept basically separate for a while, in the order of the previous sentence. Towards the late 60's, I see some smooth-side painted cars near the front of the train and a stainless car or two near the rear, but I can't tell what they are.

* Two sleepercoaches seems like a common number in the pictures (makes sense, as they apparently had four total)

* I'm not sure if the Pullman coach you linked to ever ran on the Century. It may have, but it would have to have been in the late 60's if so, and I doubt even then. The coaches that ran on the Century came from the Pacemaker, which was an all-Budd train. I suppose eventually they just stopped caring and started mixing everything up, but the Century was the last train in the fleet to be homogenized in this way. It was kept pure as long as possible.
From what I heard, 3 engines (E8's?) were almost always assigned to #25/#26 to and from Harmon?
In the combined train days, that seems right, and they ran A-B-A. Before that, when it was just the 20th Century's own equipment, it looks like two E-7's or (later) E-8's is more common (an A-B set, like Walthers is releasing).

I think if you did want to model the 1948 train, you could basically get one of everything and then double up on the sleeper cars and you would have a pretty accurate consist as it is. I count 15 passenger cars on the 1948 publicity photo for the train, including mid-train lounge, observation and kitchen-diner, so 11 total sleepers. But when you're talking about the 1960's, you start to get into Amtrak-style train combining and equipment subs that get a little more difficult.
  by Amtrak207

Thanks Spacecadet,

This info will help! I am actually interested in both trains (1948 version, and the later -60's version.)

Thing is, I model modern-day Amtrak; so the "Century" era isn't to the best of my knowledge; just always admired and respected this train, especially when I was lucky enough to ride in the Hickory Creek from Scranton to NY Penn via Albany this past Sept when it was up there for their Railfest. Once Walthers announced it, I knew I had to have it!

I think it was on Trainorders, but someone posted a 20th Century Ltd message a while ago, and it was great reading people's messages and memories regarding this famed train.

-Tom
  by spacecadet

Amtrak207 wrote:Thing is, I model modern-day Amtrak; so the "Century" era isn't to the best of my knowledge; just always admired and respected this train, especially when I was lucky enough to ride in the Hickory Creek from Scranton to NY Penn via Albany this past Sept when it was up there for their Railfest.
I really hope to be able to do that someday. I might have ridden on its trip to upstate NY last weekend but I had already booked tickets on the Adirondack for the dome - I'll do the Hickory Creek next time it runs around here.

I've been fascinated by the 20th Century Limited ever since my dad took me to see "On the Twentieth Century" on Broadway when I was a kid. And I have always loved New York art deco, which the 1938 version of the train epitomizes. I'm actually a little disappointed that they're doing the 1948 version, but I understand why they're doing it. If the rumors about BLI doing the 1938 version turn out to be true, though, I'll be really excited about that. The 1938 version *is* the 20th Century Limited to me; the 1948 version was a little more spartan even when new, and it only really lasted 6-7 years before they started bastardizing it completely (adding coaches, etc.). I just hope the BLI release, if it comes, doesn't turn out to be way out of my price range. Walthers' release is already barely doable for me - it is hard to justify paying $50 for a single passenger car!

The only reason I can do it is that the cost is spread out, but still, when I placed my order and saw that $400+ total in my cart before even adding locomotives, it was tough to pull that trigger.
  by Amtrak207

Yes I can certainly understand that. There was another rumor floating around that BLI was going to do the Broadway Limited, but who knows, we shall see down the line (I have heard the 1938 20th Century as well.)

Funny you mentioned the Adirondak, I was going to take this train north of Albany (for the Great Dome), but chose to ride an Amtrak train out of NYG instead. It was great seeing "NEW YORK - GRAND" back on an Amtrak ticket stub again! Anyway, before we boarded the Ethan Allen @ NYG... there she was....the Hickory Creek coupled on the rear, god she looked so beautiful. Then the announcement, which was "HICKORY CREEK, 20th CENTURY LIMITED...." echoed throughout the magnificant structure; for a few seconds, it actually felt like the early 1960's. Otto, I am sure you are reading this, do you think there will ever be another chance that the Hickory Creek will leave out of NYG again, with another splendid announcement?

Back on topic:

Were any other cars assigned to the 20th Century, that Walthers is NOT producing?

-Tom
  by spacecadet

Amtrak207 wrote:Yes I can certainly understand that. There was another rumor floating around that BLI was going to do the Broadway Limited, but who knows, we shall see down the line (I have heard the 1938 20th Century as well.)
They do have a streamlined Dreyfus Hudson announced, and I can't imagine they'd do that with no plans to produce the cars to go with it. I don't think anyone else produces these cars either (maybe some cheap Con-Cor stuff or something).

That's assuming they don't go under first... I've heard their settlement with MTH basically killed a lot of their future plans.
Funny you mentioned the Adirondak, I was going to take this train north of Albany (for the Great Dome), but chose to ride an Amtrak train out of NYG instead. It was great seeing "NEW YORK - GRAND" back on an Amtrak ticket stub again!
Yeah, I remember taking the LSL out of Grand Central when it ran that way - and I probably rode in a former NYC slumbercoach too.
Were any other cars assigned to the 20th Century, that Walthers is NOT producing?
Not for the 1948 version - they got everything from what I can tell. For the late 1960's, I think the only car you might have trouble with is the "Wingate Brook" observation that ran on the Pacemaker and then on the 20th Century Limited (they spelled the Island cars, which ran after 1948 for a while on extra sections until they were retired). The Budd observation that Walthers produces is similar but not the same. Otherwise, a mixture of Budd NYC coaches and slumbercoaches and a Budd diner grill should do it. One thing I'm not sure of is what they did for a lounge in the forward section of that train.

Also, for your late-60's version, you might want some E-8's with the simplified "cigar band" paint scheme. The Dreyfus "lightning" scheme was replaced by that point.

I'd highly recommend picking up that book I mentioned if you can find it. Try Golden Spike, I think they still have it.
  by Amtrak207

Hey Spacecadet,

I saw that book in the Model Railroad Shop in Piscataway, NJ; that will be my next purchase there!

I had always admired the 20th Century, but it really jumped to new heights when as I said, I rode the Hickory Creek. They had Sinatra playing in the car, along with New York Central napkins. For a few seconds, you could actually fool yourself as she barrelled down along the Hudson to New York, that you were on #26. It was an amazing feeling, hard to describe. But since then, I have been extremely fascinated by this train (and I consider myself a PRR fan.) I still would love to see an HO scale Broadway Limited down the line! The history of the Broadway is also amazing, especially the history and rivalry her and the 20th Century shared together.

This is the one set I looked most forward to Walthers coming out with. It seemed that their sets got better every year, with first the Super Chief, then the Empire Builder, then the Hiawatha (which looks AMAZING, including their upcoming armor mist scheme), and now the 20th Century. I have to tip my hat to Walthers on these sets. They keep getting better and better, it will be interesting to see what they do next year. Speaking of next year, it seems that Walthers comes out with later schemes for their yearly trainsets (Super Chief cars with later Amtrak markings, Empire Builder cars with Amtrak, Great Northern Big Sky blue, BN Hockey Stick), Hiawatha (later UP colors), anyone think that Walthers will produce the sleepers (and lookout lounge) with just the NEW YORK CENTRAL names, for when they took over their own sleeper service omitting PULLMAN?

I think it was Dieter that was interested in that?

Happy Modeling all

Tom