• 5 NdeM electrics EB on Q621 (?)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by cjvrr

The NYS&W is borrowing one or two Alcos for the local switching on the Utica side. AFAIK it is a temporary use while the NYS&W unit(s) assigned to the area are down for service.

by lvrr325

Per Kingfish on the Susquehanna forum, they're leasing one - probably on a per-day basis, so it may not always be the same one - because while the 3040 is operable, the turbo in it is failing. Sort of like if your car has a rod knock, you can drive it some, but there's only so much time before it fails completely, is the impression I get. So that answers that question, and leaves remaining what those E60s are in Utica for.

It's too bad the Utica line is OOS, or I think these would have been interchanged to the NYS&W at Syracuse and been taken down to Binghamton and back up the Utica side - imagine Mexican electric locomotives rolling through the countryside down there?

by RSD15

todays 620 has NdeM EA015 for utica.

by lvrr325

I've heard that CSX is only dropping cars in Utica on westbound trains, which would explain why the units would go to Selkirk and turn back around.

Given these things are essentially brand new and new parts for GEs of this vintage don't exactly grow on trees it could be they're worth more as parts than as whole locomotives.

by RSD15

[quote="lvrr325"]I've heard that CSX is only dropping cars in Utica on westbound trains, which would explain why the units would go to Selkirk and turn back around.

except the units went back to dewitt,stayed there for several days,and then were eventually delivered by an eastbound CSX freight.probably 632 or 386.

by lvrr325

Was told directly by someone who had to arrange a shipment out of Utica that got misrouted on CSX and he had to call the CSX folks to get them to set it out and send it back where it was supposed to go -

by DutchRailnut

Here is picture of Black Mesa & Lake powel units :

by Tadman

Any update on these rust buckets?