• 5 NdeM electrics EB on Q621 (?)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by RSD15

unless there is more of these around they are still at dewitt 4-16 10am.

by CSX Conductor

The train that handled them west from Selkirk was Q621, with the CSXT 219 leading. I had just arrived in the yard before they departed and was able to get a few shots with a cheap point & shoot 35mm. I looked u the consist of the Q621 to see where the Mexican units were headed and it was for a customer somewhere in Utica, I believe. I have seen this customer's name in the computer before and though it was a scrap place. I had the idea that they were on their way to the scrapper, hope I'm wrong. I'll try to look up the name of that customer again, maybe Roadster can help once the customer's name is proveded.

by lvrr325

AFAIK most of the major scrap dealers in Utica don't have sidings in. There was a rail rebuilder/dealer working out of the shops there (related to RMDI), but I don't know what their status is since the NYS&W closed up shop.

Seems hard to believe these units would be scrap given they're still essentially brand new - they've never been placed in service - perhaps they're headed for storage.

Or given the previous owner's had them several years, maybe the high price of steel and copper has them worth more as junk than as locomotives.. who knows.

by pablo

Do electric locomotives have more copper than a comparably heavy diesel locomotive?

Dave Becker

by Mike Walsh

pablo wrote:Do electric locomotives have more copper than a comparably heavy diesel locomotive?

Dave Becker
Let's not answer that for the sake of the owners of any locomotive...

by Kuyahoora Valley

AFAIK most of the major scrap dealers in Utica don't have sidings in. There was a rail rebuilder/dealer working out of the shops there (related to RMDI), but I don't know what their status is since the NYS&W closed up shop.
There's a scrapyard at the end of Wurtz Ave on the north side of the MA&N yard that has a siding that cuts through it and continues on to other businesses in North Utica...it crosses Leland Ave also. Wurtz is on the east side of North Genesee St.

by lvrr325

If the track continues through to other businesses, it's a lead, not a siding. Kinda hard to serve other customers if someone is blocking your track with a delivery of some sort.

That does seem to be the Utica claim to fame anymore, though, there are a disproportionate-seeming number of scrapyards and junkyards particularly in the stretch from Marcy through to just over the Herkimer County line, roughly following the former NYC mainline.

by Kuyahoora Valley

it's a lead, not a siding
Thanks for the correction...sorry if I confused anybody.

by nydepot

While technically true, many sidings exist, especially from long ago, where it was one long siding and customer's cars were placed at each loading dock. You started your dropoffs with the farthest one out and worked your way back towards the switch. It'd say pre-1960s, over half of all sidings in Rochester alone handled more than one customer and you had to sort out cars correctly and then space them out on the siding to for each customer.

Charles

lvrr325 wrote:If the track continues through to other businesses, it's a lead, not a siding. Kinda hard to serve other customers if someone is blocking your track with a delivery of some sort.

by lvrr325

Years ago when I visited the Ontario Central for the first time, they'd spotted a car for a customer right on the main track in the middle of what used to be the yard in Manchester.

Anyways, have these things landed at a destination yet, or is CSX still hauling them back and forth from Selkirk to DeWitt for their own amusement?

by SlowFreight

Considering that on the open market, the only thing harder to find than a good electric loco is a good narrow-gauge diesel, there's a part of me that would be very surprised if a scrap dealer were the highest bidder for those units.

by Noel Weaver

A very few short years ago they had some EMD build very successful
electric motors on the British Columbia Railway. They were used to haul
coal but the business slowed way down and it was decided to run the
trains with diesels. The electrics were relatively new and in good shape
but there were no buyers for them. They were taken to a scrap yard
in the Tacoma area and cut up although I seem to think one of them
might have been preserved somewhere in the west. They were likely
newer and better than these engines so I don't think they have much of
a future as locomotives.
Noel Weaver

by lvrr325

Units were delivered to the former NYS&W shop in Utica about 9:30 AM today, Wednesday, by the MA&N - one of their green C425s pulled them down past the ex-DL&W turntable just far enough to activate the crossing protection before shoving them up in the yard.

It would appear the RMDI-related locomotive dealer/repair/rebuilder outfit that was sharing space in the shop is still very active there, and is the buyer for the E60s. One coach in primer, two of the RDCs, and much of the same clutter that was evident in December, was present. NYS&W 3042 in obviously ex-NS black was outside the back doors of the shop. Doors were open, plenty of cars, and in the 2 minutes I took to grab a shot an announcement went over the loudspeaker to expect train movement on all tracks.

It also begs the question from me - when was the MA&N allowed to interchange traffic to the NYS&W? My understanding was that at one time, they could wave to one another from across the Chicago Line, but couldn't interchange to one another. (it wouldn't surprise me to find out the units were simply set out wherever it was easiest to get them delivered and that has something to do with why MA&N was spotting them in the yard).

by ut-1

Yesterday, a MA&N engine (#805??) led a south bound freight on the Utica main. Saw it pass the Genesee Street crossing in South Utica. First time I've seen MA&N power on the NYS&W. Hmmmmm...........

by lvrr325

I didn't see any other NYS&W engines around except the 3042, which is reported OOS - the thought crossed my mind they had borrowed the MA&N unit to cover for whatever engine is based in Utica (3040? 2300?) for some reason, but I only saw it with the NdeM units.