• Teens Arrested in Train Prank (Rochester)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by Flat-Wheeler

I'm sure the RR police or County Sheriff has photos. Wonder where they took the rock ?

by scharnhorst

FlatWheeler wrote:I'm sure the RR police or County Sheriff has photos. Wonder where they took the rock ?
I would think that the cops took it as evidence and put it in a storage locker till the court date. Once things are done with this large rock it will more than likley linger there in the basement of the police departmnet evidence's room for a few years collecting dust before someone gos down to clean out the room to make more room for more stuff.

by tomjohn

CarterB wrote:The ACLU will probably step in and defend the young punks and file a $$$$$$$$ law suit against the railroad for being an 'attractive nuisance'.
Jason As a railway engineer how would you/your company deal with this?

by Otto Vondrak

Let's wait for some NEWS instead of dreaming up ways to deal with these kids.

-otto-

by tomjohn

Gentlemen,
I 'll have to agree with Otto on this one ,I would want more info.

If it were me as the plaintiff here's the charges I would press and request The charges are attempt to cause harm in any format,disruption of all business in the U.S.,trespassing on railroad property, the call for the HAZMAT TEAM if needed,the repair/ replacement of railroad related equipment on the/at the scene Secondly community service "the clean up of the stretch of track between CHILI and BATAVIA all 5 teens separately under railroad supervision". If they refuse they sit in jail until they concede to cleaning up their mess. And their parents would be requested by the judicial system to make the payment (the use of the their childrens college fund) for Clean up if any .

by scharnhorst

I wonder if this would or could be viewed as a terrorist act? and if these kids could or would be punished as such if they were all above the age of 18?

by stilson4283

I would think that the cops took it as evidence and put it in a storage locker till the court date.
It is being handled by top men scharnhorst, TOP MEN...

Chris

by Otto Vondrak

lol you guys crack me up.

I hear they are going to outlaw boulders soon.

-otto-

by slashmaster

There is this hot spot around westboro where kids do things like this a lot. One time I just happend to be there and this kid had been trying to build a stone wall over one of the tracks, and was willing to beat up anyone who tore it down. A little while back someone placed pcv pipes from a construction site and I think there are still shatterd pcv pieces mixed in the ballast to this day.

by FarmallBob

Wandered up the road to Chili town court tonite to sit in on the kids' scheduled court appearance.

Several more parents - and another attorney - showed up with 'em this time. Apparently however the DA's office has been slow getting details on the charges out to the defense attorneys. Further one of the five defendants STILL has not retained legal counsel. Also it was revealed that in addition to the charges faced in this case, this kid has multiple felony charges pending in a neighboring town court.

Consequently the judge postponed further court action until May 12. The judge then warned the kid without representation (also his mother...) that for him to show up in court without counsel with the multiple serious charges pending against him "borders on insanity".

So now we wait for May 12.

by Plate F

Yay. Thank you for the update, though!

by brnxvill

I know this whole thread is a bit overlong but I wonder what we would be talking about if three or four Chlorine (or something like that) cars had derailed and spilled. I agree that this action IS sort of a terroristic act.

by FarmallBob

brnxvill wrote:I know this whole thread is a bit overlong but I wonder what we would be talking about if three or four Chlorine (or something like that) cars had derailed and spilled....
I routinely watch tankers loaded with chlorine, sodium hydroxide, non-odorized LPG, vinyl chloride, acetone, methylene chloride and other assorted flammables and/or toxics rolling down the Westshore near my home.

So yeah - those kids were lucky they only damaged a locomotive with their stunt. Given the incident's location in the middle of a heavily populated 'burb - also very near Suburban Propane's enormous trackside bulk storage tank - it had the potential to have been a LOT worse...

by jgallaway81

Like I said before... use the new anti-terror rules and ship the entire lot off to Guantanamo Bay!!!!

by FarmallBob

Another appearance in Chili Town Court last night for the 5 accused in the incident.

For each the DA individually declared “no local offer” – which I presume means the DA’s office has no interest in negotiating plea deals in Chili court. The judge then sent each case on to the grand jury. Presuming the grand jury finds against the defendants subsequent action will be handled in Superior Court.

No mention whether a civil case is in the works by CSX in an attempt to recover damages.