• Conductor stood his ground

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

by ScottTheNiceGuy

I found this video on YouTube where a group of people were going to New York on the train for New Year's, and I guess they didn't get tickets before boarding....nonetheless, they were pissed off that the conductor charged them an extra $5. I applaud this conductor for sticking to his guns and charging these morons.:-D

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UG6FA3G7Od4

by Uzi-Cat

When management sees this the conductor will be in trouble for it. I don't know how the Conductor was recorded without his knowledge but I am sure he does not want this on the internet like this. Disturbing that some passenger would do this for fun. At any rat, it does give the public some idea what a Conductor is in for when he or she goes to collect tickets.

by 35dtmrs92

I would bet that they waited nowhere near fifteen minutes. Even if they did, that's why you're supposed to arrive at the station early, folks. Good on the conductor for standing firm.

by tracker

How low can people go? This guy did his job in a civil manner. The jerk that posted that video had the nerve to title it a--hole conductor. We all saw the conductor's face. They have no right to film him and then post it to millions of people and give him that title. I guess that's OK in our present society and it is entertainment to some. It's wrong - it should be illegal.

by NJTRailfan

Oh great! Another bunch of stuck up Jersey snobs with smartass remarks who think they can get away with whatever they want and cry when they don't get their way. That's not the conductors problem if the brats don't show up before hand and make time to get tickets in advance. Atleast show up more then a 1/2 hr prior to the train. That's how I do it when I take it from Dover. Many others are there up to an hour earlier.

I hope the conductor sues the pants off those brats because they don't have his permission to record him and for slandering his good character. I'm getting sick and tired of passengers who give conductors, ticket clerks and even engineers a hard time and then get shocked when they aren't treated like Donald Trump.

Had this been an old school Erie/Lackawanna conductor he would've smashed that camera to pieces if they were recording him with out his permission and then booted their sorry butts off the train. I've already had the clip flagged for removal as youtube can be held liable for tarnishing an innocent man's career especially with such as dispicable title.

Sadly the young people in this country have 0 respect for those older then they are and the rules. I would love to send these knuckle heads to Iraq!!!
Last edited by NJTRailfan on Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by tracker

NJT, that's great. I'm glad you asked You Tube to remove it.

by njt5140

And people wonder why I work freight....less money, but boxcars don't talk back to me!!
NJTRailfan wrote:Oh great! Another bunch of stuck up Jersey snobs with smartass remarks who think they can get away with whatever they want and cry when they don't get their way. That's not the conductors problem if the brats don't show up before hand and make time to get tickets in advance. Atleast show up more then a 1/2 hr prior to the train. That's how I do it when I take it from Dover. Many others are there up to an hour earlier.

I hope the conductor sues the pants off those brats because they don't have his permission to record him and for slandering his good character. I'm getting sick and tired of passengers who give conductors, ticket clerks and even engineers a hard time and then get shocked when they aren't treated like Donald Trump.

Had this been an old school Erie/Lackawanna conductor he would've smashed that camera to pieces if they were recording him with out his permission and then booted their sorry butts off the train. I've already had the clip flagged for removal as youtube can be held liable for tarnishing an innocent man's career especially with such as dispicable title.

Sadly the young people in this country have 0 respect for those older then they are and the rules. I would love to send these bone knuckle heads to Iraq!!!

by howardr142

Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:01 pm Post subject: Video

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing wrong with filming conductor or putting it on the web. Nobody will be sued or get in trouble so don't fly off your high horse.

As for calling him a *, that’s their freedom of expression. Ever head of the first amendment?

From the video, the conductor knows he was being filmed and did not mine.

Also, you can hear him say that he is just doing his job. Why would he mine being filmed or this video on the web if it showed that he was doing his job? The video tarnished the "adults" not the C/R.

If I was this C/R I would be glad this incident was filmed, since now I have proof that I was doing my job if I every got in trouble for this.

by radioboy

howardr142 wrote:Nothing wrong with filming conductor or putting it on the web. Nobody will be sued or get in trouble so don't fly off your high horse.

As for calling him a *, that’s their freedom of expression. Ever head of the first amendment?
The first amendment applies to the government's ability to censor your speech. It also does not protect you from repercussions - social or legal - as a result of your speech.

If I had to take a guess, and IANAL, this falls under libel if anything. If the state of NJ has applicable laws on candid photography (a quick Google yielded nothing) it would also fall under that.

by Uzi-Cat

I am curious about what the law actually does state is and is not legal regarding filming/photographing someone in this manner. I had always understood (maybe I am wrong) that you could not photograph/ video somebody in a public place and publish it (or post it on the internet) without that persons permission. Anybody know the law on this one?

To me, it doesn't look like the conductor knows he is on video. I am quite sure, that he would not want the video to be published. I did contact the UTU (conductors union) and let them know about this video. Hopefully, they will handle it with youtube and NJT when they inevitably get involved.

It would have been quite funny to see one of the 30+ year conductors hand this. They are sometimes not as easy going as this conductor was with passengers like this.

by radioboy

wpdj61 wrote:I am curious about what the law actually does state is and is not legal regarding filming/photographing someone in this manner. I had always understood (maybe I am wrong) that you could not photograph/ video somebody in a public place and publish it (or post it on the internet) without that persons permission. Anybody know the law on this one?
The rule we have in TV class is filming someone doing something in public is fine, however if you single someone out or make them identifiable, get a release form or risk being open to lawsuits.

Like I said above though, I'm not exactly sure from a legal standpoint.

by n01jd1

NJTRailfan wrote:Oh great! Another bunch of stuck up Jersey snobs with smartass remarks who think they can get away with whatever they want and cry when they don't get their way. That's not the conductors problem if the brats don't show up before hand and make time to get tickets in advance. Atleast show up more then a 1/2 hr prior to the train. That's how I do it when I take it from Dover. Many others are there up to an hour earlier.

Sadly the young people in this country have 0 respect for those older then they are and the rules. I would love to send these knuckle heads to Iraq!!!

The clip was still up as of 10:30pm 1/4/2007. IMHO the conductor handled himself in a professional manner considering what he had to deal with. There are signs all over the place that state that fares are higher when tickets are purchased on board the train. As for the TVM's being out of service, other passengers had tickets so these people were trying to pull as fast one on the conductor like so many try to do on a daily basis. I applaud him for standing his ground. IMHO he should have had them removed from the train at the next station!!

by ScottTheNiceGuy

I'm sorry for showing this video on here-I don't want anyone to get in trouble except for those punks.

by Grump

The conductor in the picture showed more enduring patience and professionalism then I ever could... He deserves a medal...
One of the disturbing things that didn't get mentioned was that when the a$$holes complained to NJT, they got free courtesy ride tickets. By doing that the company just indirectly gave the conductor a slap in the face, because now these people will have all the more reason to think they were right.
Thats what we're dealing with. A company that backs you up... Yeah right...
Getting back to the topic, I'm all for personal freedoms and 1st amendment rights, but this clip, combined with their editorial, should be removed Youtube.
Passengers are currently pissing me off....... and I'm in my home!!!

by ericware

Train crews must charge the higher on
board fare at all times. There are no
exceptions to this rule. If there is no open
ticket office and no ticket machines are
working at your station, the train crews are still
required to charge you the on board fare. To
apply for a refund of the difference between
the on board fare and the station fare, you
must save your receipt and do one of the
following:
● Take your receipt to Window 27 at the GCT
Ticket Office, or to any open outlying ticket
office, and fill out a claim form.
● Visit or write to the Customer Service
Center, 420 Lexington Ave, 9th Floor, N.Y.,
N.Y. 10017. Open weekdays 8:30AM -
5:00PM. You may also call the Customer
Service Center at 212-672-1290.
This is from MTA Metro-North's Schedules book. Why doesn't NJT put this type of policy in effect, then there would be no debate and NO problems like that, everyone pays the samething all of the time.