• 2nd Track between CP-Potter and CP-Bound Brook coming soon

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by wolfboy8171981

The Rising wrote:Hello all,

Just a couple of quick questions for Wolf......

Have the C&S guys updated your computer screens in Mt. Laurel yet to show the new track, albeit, OOS?

Also, since CP Bound Brook is in service, and the old signal shed having been removed, do your screens show the new crossovers yet?

I'm curious too when they will place the new track 1 in service for local traffic. I believe there are two new switches that will need to be removed from the current track single (soon to be track 2) and new switches installed in the new track 1.

( I know the switches as Hall's Warehouse (near MP 25 +/-) and Buffalo Tanks (near MP 29.5? +/-). What they are called today, I'm not sure. :( )

Anyway, it has been fun watching the line get double tracked again. I remember when the old track came out in the mid 80's. I thought it was a mistake then. I can't believe it took so long to be restored.

Well, that's all for now folks,

See ya' all later............
answers
1.No, well the new stuff is there but its hidden, at CP-Valley the two new switches for the greenville branches are hidden, the numbers skip and when they work on them they flash even though theres nothing there on my board, same for CP-Bound Brook the new switch is hidden.
2. sorta. there always were two crossovers at CP Bound Brook and a switch for the lead to NJT. Now with this weekends work done there are two crossovers a switch for NJT AND a switch for the Port Reading Sec.

3. There are two switches on the Single track that need to be put on #1 track Break Bulk at 29.4 and Halls at 25.1. Also at 25.0 a new switch will be added for Epislon plastic, who is served off the long lead on the north side of the main.

4. "new" CP-Potter looks like its almost ready to go, and since the working limits shifed west to the Oak Tree rd over pass, that part of the new track is ready to go

by kilroy

Wolfboy wrote:
There are two switches on the Single track that need to be put on #1 track Break Bulk at 29.4 and Halls at 25.1. Also at 25.0 a new switch will be added for Epislon plastic, who is served off the long lead on the north side of the main.
Looking at the track on Sunday, it looked like they were going to be cutting in a switch. I just wondered why they would be putting a switch in on the curve. Wouldn't it be better to have the switch on a straight away?

by kilroy

Wolfboy wrote:
There are two switches on the Single track that need to be put on #1 track Break Bulk at 29.4 and Halls at 25.1. Also at 25.0 a new switch will be added for Epislon plastic, who is served off the long lead on the north side of the main.
Looking at the track on Sunday, it looked like they were going to be cutting in a switch. I just wondered why they would be putting a switch in on the curve. Wouldn't it be better to have the switch on a straight away?

by wolfboy8171981

Today at CP-Potter

Image[/img]

Red- Removed
Black- Existing
Green- New and In Service
Pink- New- Not in Service

by blockline4180

Oh cool! I see they are getting closer! :-D

by The Rising

Hello all,

Hello Wolf,

Just a quick question for you Wolf.....

How come they didn't cut in all the signals at the new CP Potter?

I would have thought they would have cut in everything at once.

Is there a reason why the didn't activate the eastbound home signal for new track 1?

Anyway, that's all for now.

See ya all later......

by wolfboy8171981

Hello Wolf,

Is there a reason why the didn't activate the eastbound home signal for new track 1?

See ya all later......
Well its there, but the track isnt in service yet so its not inservice, but cut in.

by The Rising

Hello all,

Thanks Wolf!!!

I haven't had a chance to venture down to Potter and see what was going on. I assumed by your post that the signal head for track one was still turned to the side and not lit like CP Bound Brook.

One of these days, I expect the crews to start to cut in the two new switches into new track 1 and when they do, I would guess that the operating plan would be to allow the local to head up track 1 to service the customers for a couple of weeks until they were ready to make the final swing and put track 1 in service.

Although, they might just do it all at once in a big weekend push. Last time I looked, your crews seemed to be moving double time to finish the remainings segments of track that need to be installed in Middlesex. Rail was being reinstalled last week next to the chemical plant off River Rd. and Cedar Avnue crossing was finished. It appears all that was left to do was just finish the new bridge deck over South Main Street in Bound Brook and reinstall track 1's rail and ties.

Anyway, thanks for the update. I see you're burning the "Midnight oil" as well...

Well, that's all for now folks.

See ya all later......

by Off Pending

Hello Wolf,

See ya all later......
The eastbound signal on #1 track at the "new" Potter was positioned properly and illuminated in the wee hours of Tuesday morning, when we passed it.

by northjerseybuff

so all the work is now done?

by Wanderer

northjerseybuff wrote:so all the work is now done?
At Bound Brook? Yes. I think they still have to tie up some loose ends in South Plainfield and Middlesex. One more outage I heard.

by wolfboy8171981

If you read what I wrote you will see that the work isnt done yet.

by wolfboy8171981

If you read what I wrote you will see that the work isnt done yet.

by The Rising

Hello all,

Hello Wolf,

Thank you for the update.

From what I have observed this week when I drove by, it looks like the temporary switch in what will become track one has indeed been removed. It looks like Regent will be OOS until the end of the week. While the switch was set into position on what will become Track 2, it is not yet tied into either end of the newly restored track (as of today at 12 noon).

Just a minor quibble with the work there. I was really disappointed to see that the crew laying the track near Regent didn't bother to bring BOTH tracks to the same height. New Track 2 is clearly 8-12 inches higher than what will be Track 1. Just my opinion, but it looks bad to me. I'm not saying the track is not functional. It is beautifully done. It just looks tacky. Imagine puting windows in your home and not a one of them is at the same height. It would look bad from the road, but all the windows function fine. Same applies here!!!

From what I can tell, it would appear once the switch is in place and everything finished, it would appear that one more swing and the Signal at CP Bound Brook will be put into service.

Wolf, any time frame on when that final swing will be done?

Anyway, that's all for now folks,

See ya all later......