• 2nd Track between CP-Potter and CP-Bound Brook coming soon

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by markyk

Conrail put together an exhibit for the general public tonight at the South Plainfield Holiday Inn.

It was intended to educate the general public about the pro's of the project which is expected to begin THIS MAY.

It was outstanding........I give Conrail kudos for the attempt they made tonight to educate the public, on how the 2nd track will improve the congestion at Inman Ave.

They had a video of an actual train (NS 21M) starting from a stop at CP-Potter after a meet. It took almost 7 minutes for the train to clear the crossing and for automobile traffic to start to flow normally. RIght next to this video, was a video of a train going through Rahway Ave in Westfield (double tracked), and it took only 1 minute and 20 seconds for traffic to flow.

They also explained how the horn blowing will be shorter in duration due to the higher speed.

They had large color photographs of almost every mile of track between Potter and Bound Brook, and with a red line they showed where the 2nd track will be, and it was clear that the 2nd track will be where the old 2nd track was.

They also had information about the inevitable increase in freight traffic in the coming years, and would the public rather see it move by truck?

OPeration Lifesaver as well as the NS police were there with information.

Many politicians were there, and a low turn out from the Stop The Train party was evident....although their leader was walking around and sounding off and quite frankly was sounding out of touch...............Over a dozen Conrail employees were there answering questions as you walked around the exhibit

Double Tracking will begin this May, and is expected to be completed by Dec of 2007

They are done with the pre-engineering work and issuing of contracts, and are awaiting one last go ahead from the EPA, which I was told was due in the coming days.

As for the new double barriered Grade Crossing for Inman Ave....I was told that it is NOT coming. Edison pulled out of funding it.......

Get your pics now of the single track, as we are only weeks away from the beginning of construction

by njt4172

Good stuff Mark! Kudos goes to Conrail Shared Assets for getting the facts strait! Can't wait to see this line double tracked again the way it should be! :-D

by njt4172

One more question.....

Anyone know if construction this summer will impact certain trains?? I'm guessing there will be daytime curfews this summer!

Thanks,
Steve

by nick11a

Hmmm, that soon huh? I was hoping they'd hold it off. Unforutnately, for railfans, doulbetracking may make us miss a few trains as two trains can go by at the same time and you can miss photographing one of them.

by myfavscr

I was disappointed when they went to single track in the first place.
But just think Nick, doubletracking will increase the number of trains
to photograph. :-D

by nick11a

myfavscr wrote:I was disappointed when they went to single track in the first place.
But just think Nick, doubletracking will increase the number of trains
to photograph. :-D
That's certainly a plus. A potential for more trains.

by CNJFAN

During the construction starting this May, will there be any detour trains and if so, where will they run?
On the Raritan Valley Line or the Port Reading line?
OR BOTH?

by njt4172

CNJFAN wrote:During the construction starting this May, will there be any detour trains and if so, where will they run?
On the Raritan Valley Line or the Port Reading line?
OR BOTH?

There might be some NS detour trains on the Port Reading Secondary and a slight chance of CSX on the Raritan Valley, but I wouldn't hold me breath on either! However, there is talk that NS is putting in a direct switch from Croxton to access the lower Boonton line near DB so manifest detour trains over the Boonton line and then down via the Washington Secondary are also a possibility....

Stay tuned!

by Mudvalve

The second track never should have been removed to begin with, IMO.

Edison removed funding for the double barrier at the Inman Ave crossing? If memory serves me correct the majority, if not all, of the funding was coming from state grants the town received.

by markyk

From what I understood from the Exhibit...........

Disruption to train traffic will be minimal during the construction.

The only time when the line will be severed will be when they build through CP-Bound Brook.

They did mention that two road bridges in Bound Brook will be the only ones that need some kind of adjustment that will impede automobile traffic for a time.......

I asked about the future plans for the Port Reading Secondary, no major upgrades are slated for now...........

by CJPat

With all the traffic the LVRR sees, when and why was the second track removed in the first place? That line has been busy for the last 40 years (since I can remember).

by CNJFAN

My guess would be cutbacks, it seemed that there was no justification for 2 tracks in their eyes, obviously they were mistaking.
The second track and reconfiguration took place during 1987.

by nick11a

When they were working on the siding one weekend this past year at Flemington, they rerouted an eastbound NS train onto the corridor. Maybe it'll happen again.

by CJPat

Thanx CNJFan

by njt4172

nick11a wrote:When they were working on the siding one weekend this past year at Flemington, they rerouted an eastbound NS train onto the corridor. Maybe it'll happen again.

Yup, I forgot about the NE Corridor option.....! I don't think doublestacks could fit under the catenary though.........

Steve