• Official Mass Coastal Thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by skeeda

Resuming service to Falmouth might be a little difficult, as the tracks immediately south of the Depot Avenue crossing, including the run-around switch, have been torn up.

by skeeda

Resuming service to Falmouth might be a little difficult, as the tracks immediately south of the Depot Avenue crossing, including the run-around switch, have been torn up.

by skeeda

by Pacobell73

skeeda wrote:Resuming service to Falmouth might be a little difficult, as the tracks immediately south of the Depot Avenue crossing, including the run-around switch, have been torn up.
Simply build a run-around track north of Depot Avenue. There is space to do so. Plus, the trains will not be particularly long, I am sure.

by Pacobell73

CSX Engineer 98 wrote:
Pacobell73 wrote:I can see that. I would rather see this. End-of-track at Rt. 134 in South Dennis. Image
Long gone.....
Really? I thought the track was there, just out of service and severed westward.

by BayColony1706

the tracks are still there, more or less. All of the crossings have been removed (Station ave, Great Western rd, and Old Bass River Rd). Also, the switches at South Dennis have frogs and other parts missing. Other than that, the tracks are still "intact" so to speak. The line is slated for rail trail use, so re-actvation would be a miracle. Besides, I think it would take A LOT of convincing to get Mid-Cape Home Center to ship by rail again.

by atlantis

Theoretically, at least, the Falmouth line can be put back due to a clause in the memorandum of understanding that state's that any use of the RR R.O.W. for a bike path can be reverted back to a railroad should the need arise.
After all, the state builds swaths of roads and thinks nothing of it.
I've seen where the tracks have been removed by the wasted Falmouth station to Skating Lane. If the town remains obstinate and goes through with removing the rest of the rails for a bike path, then it has no right to complain about traffic and lack of good public transport, IMO.
In fact, IMO, I hope that Falmouth chokes on its traffic and air pollution for giving in to Rep. Eric Turrkington and his band of elitists.

At least when Tom Cahir was a state Rep, he more or less kept the "bike nazis" at bay. Although IMHO, Tom Cahir's support of rail service was questionable at best, often acting skittish when taken to task point blank.
While what I've said about Falmouth may seem harsh, it underscores the need for all of us to speak up, (preaching to the choir here :wink: )
otherwise the undesirable results, no matter how absurd, will come to pass
  by captdpl

Does anyone know about the hiring process at Mass Coastal? I know they're a new company, but I'm new to railroads and have been considering getting into the field as a conductor. Do they want prior experience or will the accept entry level? The website doesn't say much other than they need train service employees.
  by CSX Engineer 98

captdpl wrote:Does anyone know about the hiring process at Mass Coastal? I know they're a new company, but I'm new to railroads and have been considering getting into the field as a conductor. Do they want prior experience or will the accept entry level? The website doesn't say much other than they need train service employees.
My vast experience with working for the railroads (serveral) is:

experience is a plus, and they are willing to train/training you "Their way" of Operation.. :wink:

by GP40MC 1116

I wonder what "Cape Rail Inc" is going to do. They want to be able to run the Cape Cod Central Passenger runs and now the Mass coastal Freight stuff. Last I checked they only had the RDC, 1501,1502 and 1201. I wonder what will happen, if they could buy some of the Bay Colony's motive power, but me things the Bay Colony Stuff will go down to Seminole Gulf. It just seems to me 3 locomotives is not enough for combined passenger and freight operations.
  by captdpl

CSX Engineer 98 wrote:
captdpl wrote:Does anyone know about the hiring process at Mass Coastal? I know they're a new company, but I'm new to railroads and have been considering getting into the field as a conductor. Do they want prior experience or will the accept entry level? The website doesn't say much other than they need train service employees.
My vast experience with working for the railroads (serveral) is:

experience is a plus, and they are willing to train/training you "Their way" of Operation.. :wink:
Thanks for the tip. I've spent almost 10 years in the marine transportation field and I'm looking to try something new. I filled out an online application, we'll see what happens.
  by masscoastalfan

the masscoastal's new power will be in the for of GP10's. they are gp9's rebuilt to gp38 status. i'm not sure exactly what the offical designation will be. i got this from a good source too.

by masscoastalfan

also the 1501/1502.1201 will be kept for scenic train use. as i understand it 1 of the new gp's will be kept on the line in new bedford, one in taunton and two on the cape. the haynnis engine house will be the maintenence base. the new engines are painted already and are to be shipped soon. they will arrive some time in november along with the new trash cars. the new engines are wearing a scheme exactly like that of 1201 but with MASS COASTAL lettering and logo. the trash cars which are being assembled in and will be painted black with red pinstriping. the new "Energy Train ought to a bright and colorful change from bay colony's grey.
  by GP40MC1118

MC 2008 is a GP9RM and coming from Progress Rail in Georgia.
Former HOG 1209 (Heart Of Georgia RR), originally a CN GP9.

Two others I know of are ex-BNSF GP7u's 1336 and BNSF GP9 1643.
Both are coming from NRE in Silvis.

Fourth unit unknown for now.

D

by masscoastalfan

these new engines are pretty homely. i hope the cape cod central shops can work some magic on these new units like they did on 1501 and 1502