• Derailing

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by Robert Paniagua

Hmm............They are sill procrastinating in fixing that traincar, i hope they get their act together and do it right away. KAW 1710 of the MBTA is already being fixed but this one is going to take longer if noone does anything soon.

by Mike Morris

Its complicated since Metro leases the car and insurance would pay for the car to be fixed.
The pair in the meantime has been used for parts. Its quite ugly and gutted inside.

by Sand Box John

Robert,

The pictures of that car can be viewed in the post I made in the Pictures? thread that was started by jerryinva on Wed Oct 03, 2007 at 2348.

by Sand Box John

"Mike Morris"
According to Mike Hiller engineer only two are left on the mainline. I will ask someone else.

In the testimony on 10 16 2007 made by Richard Hipskind at the NTSB board meeting on the Mount Vernon Square wreck he states that WMATA has 173 #8 turnouts on the main line, of those 101 have been upgraded to guarded turnouts, WMATA has a program to upgrade the remaining 72 unguarded turnouts to guarded turnouts by the end of 2009. I got the impression from the testimony at the meeting that some of the originally installed #8 turnouts were replaced with #10 turnouts where space was available to do so.

I did a quick survey and counted 209 #8 turnouts on the main line. Mind you my count was based on designed practices from the 1970s.