• Derailing

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

by harryguy082589

I just heard on CNN there was a derailing in the subway system, is that true? What happened?

by octr202

As of 18:07 on wmata.com:

Sunday, January 7, 2007

Metrorail is currently experiencing a service disruption at Mt Vernon Sq 7th St-Convention Center station.
Disruption details: Station closed temporarily due to derailment.. The estimated delay is 20 minutes.
Rail line(s) affected: Green-Yellow Lines in both directions.

by jersey_emt

Seems to be a minor derailment, no major injuries.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/07/dc.tra ... index.html

by Sand Box John

Latest reports;

Washington Post Green Line Metro Train Derails; at Least 18 Hurt

Washington Times 20 hurt in Green Line derailment

WMATA press release Monday Metrorail service back to normal after Sunday derailment

Single tracking was taking place between Mount Vernon Square and L'Enfant Plaza and the interlocking was being used to run trains in both directions on the north end of the closed section of track. From what I could glean from the media accounts and the WMATA press release the train was traveling northbound against the normal flow of traffic on track E2 when the fifth car derailed on the turnout protected by signal E01 08 as it was crossing over to track E1.

This one sounds a lot like what happen at in the D02 interlocking between Federal Triangle and Smithsonian back on 01 13 1982.

The local media is speculating that the cause may be the results of the defect in the 5k series CAF/AAI that have derailed in the yards in the past.

by Robert Paniagua

I also saw an article in my hometown WBZ-4 TV site. Looks like another repeat of MBCR Boston KAW car 1710 when it got broadsided by that truck at Franklin, except this time one of the units hit a tunnel wall, and will be probably worse damaged than MBCR KAW DoubleDecker 1710.

by Tommy Meehan

Twice in recent years I have stayed at a hotel in Washington where the Mt Vernon Sq station was the one I used. It's right behind the Convention Center. Strange to see it the focus of national headlines due to a train derailment.

For me it was very convenient to Union Station. You take a Green or Yellow Line train - it's served by both - one stop to GalleryPl-Chinatown, change to the Red Line and it's two stops to Union Station. Takes 10-12 minutes.

by Mike Morris

nm
Last edited by Mike Morris on Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by Sand Box John

"Mike Morris"
The train is at Branch avenue. I would be very suprised if the car was fixed. A lot of damage.

You wouldn’t happen to know if the cars are visible from outside the fence?

The 5ks have a problem of derailing as discussed elsewhere-however it happens when they have no load(ie weight of passengers) in the yard.

This was one may be an internal foul up. The flanges on the trucks were cut the day before. If they are less than 25 inches in diameter that may explain why it derailed. In other words whoever cut them may have cut too much material from the wheel.

Ouch ! ! !

Alstom is freaking out and planning on changing on b blocks in the trucks(can't remember the fmi#) on rehabbed 2k and 3k to be safe since they too had a derail in the yard as well...

Sharp eyes may have noticed new threshold LED lights appearing on rehabbed 2k and 3k in the last couple of weeks FYI...

Cool.

by Robert Paniagua

Mike Morris wrote:The train is at Branch avenue. I would be very suprised if the car was fixed. A lot of damage.

The 5ks have a problem of derailing as discussed elsewhere-however it happens when they have no load(ie weight of passengers) in the yard.
I think that train will have to be sold for scrap as a similar situation as MBCR KAW DblDck CTC-4 1710 and CTC-2 BBD 1644, which were involved in recent wrecks and at least 1710 has been mostly taken out for parts and these 5k cars that were wrecked may well join CTC-4 1710. 1644 is pending at this time.

by Sand Box John

"Robert Paniagua"

I think that train will have to be sold for scrap as a similar situation as MBCR KAW DblDck CTC-4 1710 and CTC-2 BBD 1644, which were involved in recent wrecks and at least 1710 has been mostly taken out for parts and these 5k cars that were wrecked may well join CTC-4 1710. 1644 is pending at this time.

Based on history I doubt that it will be scrapped. All of the cars that have been involved in wrecks on metrorail that were damaged beyond repair are still on the property.

by Robert Paniagua

Oh Ok, then I think they just may use it for parts.

by Mike Morris

John is correct. Whatever happens they will not be scrapped.

The train is inside. I have pics but I am afraid I could get in trouble posting them till this mess is over with.

by Sand Box John

"Mike Morris"
John is correct. Whatever happens they will not be scrapped.

The train is inside.

I won't ask which bay there in as I couldn't get to them if I knew.

I have pics but I am afraid I could get in trouble posting them till this mess is over with.

I will be patiently waiting. The NTSB report will likely have some pictures in it. Would be happy to host them when you know they have been cleared for publication.

by Mike Morris

Check your mail-sent one shot of this one.

by Sand Box John

"Mike Morris"
Check your mail-sent one shot of this one.

Hasn’t come through yet.

Other links relocated.