• SD9's

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.

by Shark

Engineer James wrote:U-Haul> Whats up with that Pic of 57 and a coach all about? The coach looks heavyweight..... and I did not know NS to have any.
The coach is an ex-Amtrak baggage car. It has Morristown & Erie reporting marks and has been in the Pavonia shop for a while now.

by chuchubob

BTW, 52 and 57 are still at Pavonia.

by Conrail1990

I just saw that photo. Really sad to see them go.

R.I.P. NS SD9's

by jgallaway81

Don't be so quick to start the SD9M's funeral pyres just yet.

Rumors abound at Altoona Rose.... also just as a curiosity side-note... As we pulled out today on an early morning helper, I noticed that the SD9's had been modified such that the old units had been replaced withthe new electronic bell systems that adorn the late DASH-9/ES40DC's

by jgallaway81

I realize nothing was done since retirement... I past the funeral train as it came in from conway the other day... I was westbound on a helper.

I just thought it interesting that such modern modifications would be made to such an antique diesel.

One rumor I heard, and my personal opinon is that they are destined for slug-ification.

Teamed with a repowered SD-40-2, an SD-9M slug set would make a good helper set. But I have nothing to base that on other then my rather simplistic understanding of diesel tech... my expertise is steam.

by lakeshoredave

I used to see these SD9's on different parts of the NS' ECBU when I lived in North Carolina over the last few years. Its a shame to see them be retired. I saw Tony Kimmel's shot of these units being taken to Altoona on a hospital train move. I assume this is to make room on the locomotive roster for new units that NS is acquiring.

by GN 599

Fortunately there is a decent second hand market for EMD's. I bet a few of them find new homes. (hopefully)

by Wanderer

At least two units have Louis Dreyfus Corporation, LDCX. There is the possibility of two additional units, but that is still awaiting confirmation.

by esprrfan

Here's one in transit

by nsrayman

Ex # 58 , ready for new paint

by Wanderer

FWIW...LDCX2019 is ex. NS51.