• Anyone know where this picture was taken?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by 3rdrail

That shot is Washington Street at Brookley Road heading southerly (towards Forest Hills). The turnout would have taken the "Queen Mary" into the Lotus Place shops at the Arborway. You most likely will still find those houses at this location as they have not changed. Looking skyward, you will now see sky, which has changed from the time of this shot when the Queen Mary was new, as the Forest Hills Extension of the "El" was in place. Around 40's or 50's, in usual fashion, track was paved over at this location. The guardrail was kept above ground from opposite the northern edge of the Arborway on Washington St.(just after Brookley) when the "Back and Forth" was discontinued. Here's a good riddle - Ask anyone what part of town the original Forest Hills Extension ended at. The answer is ROSLINDALE, and not the Jamaica Plain that you will get for an answer.(The end of the Forest Hills Yard abutted the Tollgate Bridge in Rozzie). :wink:

by aline1969

I grew up off Belgrade ave in rozzie and I'm proud to say 3001 spent a good chunk of life on my routes out of Forest Hills. I only wish 3001 was saved for preservation.

by 3rdrail

I'm with you Aline ! Forest Hills and the Arborway saw a lot of cool stuff - the "Queen Mary", Trackless Trolleys, all sorts of Boston and Eastern Mass trolleys and busses - it always has been a happening place ! To only have a time-machine ! I would love to have been able to take a photo of the "Queen" under the granite arches at Forest Hills. (I grew up next to the Toll Gate Bridge and now live in Rozzie Square) :-D

by Fred Rabin

Why was 3001 called the "Queen Mary"?

by 3rdrail

I could be mistaken (it's been known to happen) but I believe that the sleek lines of the car compared to trolleys which preceeded it seemed regal and modernistic, and was reminescent of the ship of the same name which was in use at the time, and was also considered to be sleek. So, a second "Queen Mary" (vehicle) was born ! Remember the Queen and the PCC's which followed were preceeded by 5's, 4's, and Center-Entrance Cars - beautiful to we buffs, but not in the traditional manner. The Queen was beautiful to all.

by Leo Sullivan

I still maintain that the car is facing north and about to go into the back of the Lotus Place Carhouse. The switch curves toward the photographer
(see the bulge in the side of the point casting, that always is on the side of the curve.) The car has already passed the point and is taking the curve.
If headed south also, it would be right in front of Brookley road and there is no break in the houses. I was down there last week and that sort of evidence is about all that is clearly left!
LS

by StevieC48

Here is a tid bit of info to help out I hope. *May 27,1937 The first PCC car in Boston, No 3001, was placed in service on the Charles River - Arborway Line. the car was the predecessor of the present day Green Line PCC fleet.

* Info from THE BOSTON RAPID TRANSIT ALBUM BY B.H. CLARKE BSRA BULLETIN #17

by -Garrett

Thanks for the insight!
I sure wish we had a color verson of "the Queen"

by 3rdrail

Leo Sullivan- I think that you are right and that there is no question as regards the location of the Queen Mary - It's at Wash between Burnett and Brookley heading northerly, about to turn into the Arborway yard towards the back of the Lotus Place shop. I've been looking at the picture and I have to agree and disagree with you on two things. There is a decided driveway to the right of the car, which could very well be the Arborway yard where the car is heading. The car looks like it has taken the point and curving off. There would not be a reason for doing this if the car was headed south as I originally believed. The problem that I had with assuming it to be heading north is that I could not see Burnett St, which would be to its immediate left (on the odd-side of the street) if it were heading north about to enter the Arborway at the northern end by Brookley. Upon looking and looking, I think that I can almost pick out a crescent shaped curbstone where Burnett appears to intersect with Wash (follow the rub-rail on the Queen to just after the rear), indicating a curb-cut and possibly a street. A street lamp exists near this location. Additionally, I believe that a northeast facing structure can be seen belonging to a building through the trees, which, if in line with a row of southeast facing Washington St. houses without the break of a street in front of it, would be obstructed. This may be the front of a building on Burnett. So, I therefore have the insignificant disagreement with you that there is no break in the street. But, as far as your argument that the car is heading north, I do now believe that you are correct. Good instincts ! Paul Joyce.

by Leo Sullivan

Paul,
I've done carefully reasoned conclusions like this before and found out I was wrong by miles. I'll print the picture if I can and go over to Arborway and see if the remaining buildings agree.
Leo S.

by 3rdrail

I may see you down there Leo, but I don't think that you are wrong. I can't imagine a westerly diversion from straight rail on Wash all the way from Columbus to the old Forest Hills archway "back in the day". I don't see any other possible explanation. I can tell you that that storefront is definitely not there anymore, and if we're lucky the outline of that house might still reveal itself. But, not to worry, I still think that you're right on track. If I meet you there, I'll buy you a Murphys at Doyles.

by Leo Sullivan

Well, I went there on the way home this afternoon. the houses have certainly been worked over in the past 69 years (I believe the car was brand new at the time of the picture) but have the same outlines. the porch in the background is gone but, I think I remember it. I had also forgotten that the plate girder El structure is all south of Guild St. limiting the area of possibillity. about two years ago a woman came into our office and offered to sell a set of Civil Engineering Dept. prints covering Guild St to around Doyle's just before and during El construction. I did buy them. That type of house was not found north of Doyles. Incidentally, your conclusion re: stout was right on, with much less evidence.
LS