• Anyone know where this picture was taken?

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by -Garrett

This is a pretty cool photo: http://world.nycsubway.org/perl/show?29117
But I can't figure out where it is? I thoght it might be North Station Under, until I realized that there are bricks for pavement, so I'm thinking Somerville?

There's no date on the photo but since it's the only PCC I've seen that has the BEry sign on it, I figure it's late 30's or early 40s?

Anyone who can give a shot at this?

by Ron Newman

It's not Somerville, since we've never had an elevated here. I'm guessing Charlestown, under the old Orange Line el, though it might also be Roxbury.

by U-Haul

The website appears to be down. Hope it is temporary.

by Diverging Route

U-Haul wrote:The website appears to be down. Hope it is temporary.
It is temporary. The nycsubway.org Webmaster announced the overnight Saturday outage for the move of the server by his hosting company.

by Fred Rabin

It was taken under the Washington Street El -- probably in the vicinity of Forest Hills Station. Car 3001 was unique - the only one without a left side door.

by orange1234

Does anybody know where this photo was taken? Is this the future site of MacDonald stadium?

by Ron Newman

Now that the first photo is back ... it's definitely not near North Station, as there were no wood-frame houses around there.

Re the second photo: what is MacDonald stadium? I've never heard of it.

by AznSumtinSumtin

Ron Newman wrote:Re the second photo: what is MacDonald stadium? I've never heard of it.
MacDonald Staidum is Malden High School's football stadium. It's across the street from Malden Station's western busway.
orange1234 wrote:Does anybody know where this photo was taken? Is this the future site of MacDonald stadium?
It does look like that is the site of MacDonald Stadium.

by dieciduej

I would have to agree the photo, of the Main Line Type 11's, are between Wellington and Malden Center. The only place I can think of that has that much grass would be between Charles St. and the southern edge of MacDonald Stadium.

JoeD

by MBTAFan

Fred Rabin wrote:It was taken under the Washington Street El -- probably in the vicinity of Forest Hills Station. Car 3001 was unique - the only one without a left side door.
The "Queen Mary" was the first PCC Boston received in 1937. It was the only St. Louis car to ever run on the system.
  by trolleyguy

The stretch of elevated trackage beneath which Boston Elevated Railway PCC car 3001 appears in the photo is more than likely the one between Egleston Station and Forest Hills. There used to be a streetcar line which ran only between these two points which motormen nicknamed the "B & F" (The Back and Forth). This trackage was mainly used by North Station - Egleston and Egleston - Mattapan via Blue Hill Avenue cars to get to and from the Arborway Carhouse.

by sjd0356

It also could be on Main Street in Charlestown. The EL went right down the center of it and I have seen pictures of 3001 traveling in Charlestown.

by Otto Vondrak

That photo is labeled as an MBTA car when it is clearly a BERy car.

-otto-

by MBTAFan

Otto Vondrak wrote:That photo is labeled as an MBTA car when it is clearly a BERy car.

-otto-
I think that's just because the website only has a section for the MBTA, much like this forum. They have Boston MTA photos filed under MBTA as well. :wink:

by Leo Sullivan

Just looked at the 3001 picture again. there is a switch just in front of the car which curves toward the photographer. Since the type of house indicates that it is south of Egleston, there is only one place like that, the switches into the back of the property just south of Brookley Road. It also makes sense that an official 'record' picture which it certainly is would be taken adjacent to the property, in this case, facing north. The car is obviously new and was stationed at Arborway leaving the area only occasionally. There was at least one fan trip when it was new and, pictures were taken everywhere even on the newly acquired Chelsea Division. But this one is a BERY photo and they wouldn't have gone far to take it.
LS