• Keystone Corridor Improvements

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by RichM

Lucius, that's what it looked like to me but I was too far away to see what was actually going on. It's possible the folks had been working overnight, but there was no evidence of lighting equipment. And the area of concern was about 300 yards or so east of the Paoli station, I didn't remember there being a crossover that far east. But the whole crossover system at Paoli I thought was west of the station, and seemed to be based on access to the old shop complex. Maybe something new?

by khecht

There is an interlocking directly on top of the PA 252 bridge to the east of Paoli station. This allows trains approaching and departing Paoli to switch to and from the local tracks, and is the only access to the express tracks (2 and 3) between Paoli station and Bryn Mawr. As the rail there is at least as old as the surrounding jointed rail being replaced, I'd expect it to get worked over.

Was the SEPTA Great Valley Flyer and Amtrak limited to tracks 1 and 4 this morning, or were they using 2 and 3 at Paoli? If so, that would indicate that those switches are out of service for maintenance if they didn't get their work done over the weekend.

by RichM

Thanks, that's probably it. I was looking line of site as I was driving westbound on Lancaster Avenue. There was a big crowd of Amtrak folks between tracks 2 & 3, but it may have been to stand clear of the eastbound SEPTA 5. Never noticed these crossovers before, but it does make sense, both for express SEPTA and Amtrak.

by pennsy

Hi All,

Well, that certainly explains something. It also explains why the Air Shuttle is doing so well. NY to DC in under one hour. Last time I took the Shuttle it ran somewhere between half an hour and 45 minutes. Of course you are subject to the weather conditions, which can ground you. In that case, Acela here we come.

by drewh

There is no way you can say the air shuttle NY-DC is under an hour. If you are coming from Manhattan and going downtown DC, that will add at least a 1/2 hour each direction to/from the ariport. You also need to allow 1/2 hour for security. So even if you are last to board and first to de-plane you are looking at min of 2 hrs 15 min. not to mention the rush hour air traffic delays since airports are handling more scheduled flights than capacity allows.
  by Lackawanna565

Does anybody know if Amtrak put in the new signaling system in between Lancaster and Harrisburg and a website with photos of the improvements they did to the line?

by Jishnu

Jersey_Mike wrote:Yes, both OVERBROOK and BRYN MAWR have pocket tracks on which express trains can pass locals. OVERBROOK has pocked for both E/B and W/B trains, which BRYN has a pocket W/B only.

I have been present to see Keystones leapfrog SEPTA locals at OVERBROOK.
From a track layout perspective it looks like similar should be possible at LINCOLN at Metuchen station both East and Westbound. But I don't recall ever having seen that interlocking used in that way.

by njtmnrrbuff

How's the construction along the Keystone Corridor doing? I can't wait to see the all electric service return. Again, my concern is the availability of motors. About the Pennsylvanian, will that train remain an express on the Keystone? I'm sure that that will change power in PHL. When in the fall will the new type of service begin?

by GeorgeF

pennsy wrote:Well, that certainly explains something. It also explains why the Air Shuttle is doing so well. NY to DC in under one hour.
The Delta and USAir shuttles are not doing so well. See p. 48 at this report. Also, you can do a search here and see where from 2003 to the 12 months ending in April, 2006 LGA-BOS traffic is down 8,000 and LGA-DCA by 41,000 (!). Note that the walk-up shuttle coach fare is substantially more than the Acela First Class fare. Vacationers can see that remarkably discounted, of course. Shuttle First Class, available on USAir only, is almost double the Acela's First Class.
Last edited by GeorgeF on Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Rockingham Racer

Thanks, George, for the link. It's interesting to see, though, that the publication does not mention Acela Express as a possible reason for fewer passengers.

by pennsy

Hi GeorgeF,

Looks like things have changed since the days of Eastern Airlines running the Air Shuttle. Never needed a ticket, you would sit down, wait for the plane to take off, and the Stewardesses would come down the aisle, with cash register etc. and you would pay for your ticket on the plane. Just like paying your carfare on a bus. As the novel goes, it is now Gone With The Wind. What was nice about it was that you could never get skunked, if there were no seats available, they had to wheel out another plane and crew. Guaranteed flights. Some weekdays there were three sections.

by CHIP72

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:About the Pennsylvanian, will that train remain an express on the Keystone? I'm sure that that will change power in PHL. When in the fall will the new type of service begin?
Educated guesses, not factual information:

* I'd expect the Pennsylvanian to remain an express train between Philadelphia and Harrisburg (actually between New York and Harrisburg).

* It's possible though not probable Amtrak will switch engines at Harrisburg, though keeping the switch at Philadelphia is probably more likely.

* I'm not sure exactly, but from what I've heard sometime in October or November is the target time. I'd guess Amtrak would like to have the work done before they release the fall 2006 timetable.

by Lucius Kwok

The Pennsylvanian's station stops will remain the same along this stretch. They will still stop at Paoli and Lancaster between Philadelphia and Harrisburg. Interestingly, the eastbound Pennsylvanian stops at a few additional stations that the westbound skips.

I also would agree that the engine change would continue to happen in Philadelphia.

I have not heard anything about the signal system, either around Lancaster, nor anywhere else on the line.

by njtmnrrbuff

It would make sense for the engine change to occur at PHL for the Pennsylvanian since it not only changes direction in PHL, but it also obviously continues beyond electrified territory.
  by jp1822

Interestingly - I saw two cab cars on the side tracks of the 30th St. Station Philly Coach Yard this morning. I think they need four cab cars to protect the service they are seeking for this route. One looked to be a refurbished cab car, while the other one looked like the one you spot on the Springfield Shuttle Service - or maybe it was refurbished but needed a cleaning! The refurbished cab car didn't appear to be a full coach/cab, but rather half coach and half business class seating, with cab. Can't confirm for sure on this, as I was on an early train from Philly to NYC and sought to get some sleep while enroute.

They are certainly moving things along on this route - seen some reports circulate recently on a late Fall launch!