• Cajon Pass feeling hot

• Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM
Discussion related to BNSF operations. Official site: BNSF.COM

Moderator: Komachi

by pennsy

Hi,

Brush fires are something the RR's on Cajon always worry about. Story about a UP engine, brand new, that overheated in one of its engine areas, a small fire broke out. The Forestry Service pounced on it really fast and got it out. Such things are unusual, but could, in itself, start a forest fire. One thing, the CDF is FAST. Interesting to note, some, possibly many, brand new engines, have to be "debugged".
  by bellstbarn

Any news about the railroad during today's big fire? We have luckily seen nothing of trains as cars and trucks burn on I-15 July 17, 2015.
Thanks.
  by Rockingham Racer

Reports on Trainorders said flames were moving away from the railroad. Good news there.
  by Gilbert B Norman

As it is noted at two "West Coast based" sites, Trainorders and Rail Forum, the railroads do not appear to be in immediate danger.

For the BNSF, I think they are breathing a bit easier on Lou Menk Drive, as had Cajon been taken out, I can't think of any way BNSF could handle traffic into the LA Basin.

The UP of course has a multitude of reroutes available over the SP.
  by Backshophoss

As of tonite's newscast,I-15 is still closed,and still needed to have the chared hulks removed,road repaired.
The possible Detour could have been Barstow-Mojave,run around the train there and run on UP to Lancaster,
then on Metrolink(SCAX)into the LA Basin,the Palmdale Cutoff(ex-SP) could have been affected by this fire as well.