• Former Amtrak F40 #316 transfered to the MBTA

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by octr202

mxdata wrote:#316 was switched over a couple tracks the other day, apparently just to get it out of the way. The secret plans for the unit have not been revealed yet. :wink:
I thought the secret plan was track-flying-up prevention over at BET? :wink:

by mxdata

The secret plan for #316 has progressed another step. The unit is now out in the dead line. It successfully held down the track during the recent rains. :wink:

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

any word on the 316 yet? is this engine still on MBTA property

by mxdata

The 316 is still out in the "static display" area holding the track in place. Complete details of the secret plans for the unit have yet to be revealed.

by GP40MC 1116

Any up to Date info on 316, John, Dave??

by GP40MC1118

It's out back in the deadline with the 904 & friends.

D

by Robert Paniagua

Oh all right, thanks, I wonder what will be next for 0316.

by mxdata

The evaluation of #316's ability to hold down the track showed that it does that adequately. Now it is being used in a study of paint weathering.

Obviously there are some folks who know exactly why the 316 is at BET, but why spoil the fun. :wink:

by CSX Conductor

mxdata wrote:Obviously there are some folks who know exactly why the 316 is at BET, but why spoil the fun. :wink:
Is the MBCR going to convert it to another Cabbage car for Amtrak in preparation of adding an additional DownEaster round-trip?!? :P lol

by GP40MC1118

It's a pity Schiavone isn't around....

D

by mxdata

I think the 316 would look nice with a surplus B52 engine pod mounted upside down on the roof over the cab. Might be some clearance problems on the corridor though. Maybe it would be a good unit for the future service to the cape. Let's see, a J57 is about 10,000 lbs of thrust per engine, 18,000 lbs. with the afterburner, so....... :-D

by Robert Paniagua

I saw 0316 on Sat morning from I-93 while at BET's dead line.

by astrosa

Why are you calling it 0316 all of a sudden?

by Robert Paniagua

Just used to the 0 for myself, but you're right, I really should call it 316 without the "zero" so as not to confuse it with MBTA RTS Bus 0316 :-D

by MBTA3247

They moved 316 to the other side of BET today. Don't know what they're planning to do with it (I've dealt almost exclusively with tuff relating to the coaches) but it looks like they're planning to put it in the diesel house for an inspection/repairs.