• Former Amtrak F40 #316 transfered to the MBTA

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by CSX Conductor

Just read over on the Amtrak forum that Amtrak F40 #316, which was at Southampton Street last night may be given to the MBCR. Anybody have any info to back this up? Would this be for non-revenue service to free either the 1127 or 1136 from the Readville Switcher?

by sery2831

From what I understand, MBCR is getting 2 F40s from Amtrak. I was assuming they were not coming directly from Amtrak. I didnt know Amtrak still had any good F40s left.

by CSX Conductor

I didn't think they had any left either John. Trust me I was shocked to see it @ Southampton last night. It stood out because it still has the older paint scheme whereas the cabbages all seem to be either in Phase IV or Downeaster scheme. :-) Any idea as to the use of them, revenue or non-revenue?

by TomNelligan

sery2831 wrote:From what I understand, MBCR is getting 2 F40s from Amtrak.
You guys mean the MBTA, right? Up to this point anyway the MBCR doesn't own (or lease) equipment; they just run the trains under an operating contract from the MBTA, which owns the stuff.

by sery2831

Yes we do mean the MBTA.
I dont know what the plans are for the units. I am sure they are planning on putting them on trains at some point though. Why would they get old tired F40s for work train service when there are lots of other engines that could be used.
I also think these two are Amtraks way of replacing the 1006 and 1011. I understand the T has been after Amtrak for money to either fix or replace the units since MBCR took over.

by Robert Paniagua

Hopefully they'll be in for revenue runs.

But then again, the Amtrak F40s may end up like Red Line Cars 01477/80 and 01469/70. :-D

by CSX Conductor

sery2831 wrote:I also think these two are Amtraks way of replacing the 1006 and 1011. I understand the T has been after Amtrak for money to either fix or replace the units since MBCR took over.
Why?

Also, if I remember correctly weren't there only a portion of Amtrak's F40's that were capable of push-pull?

by sery2831

The reason the T is chasing Amtrak is because they were responsible for the repair of the locos when they died.

by SimplySam

So is there any update? Is this unit going to be spruced up and used or will it be an "organ donor" like the NJT Comet cars?

by Robert Paniagua

I hope the former, I wouldn't want the latter happen....

I think 316 still has HEP possesed so it may pull some revenue trains, hopefully.

by CSX Conductor

Thanks Sery, that's what I was assuming, but we all know what can happen when one assumes. :-)

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

how old is this engine? built in the 70's probably and probably rebuilt once if not at all, if the T does take these Amtrak engines, do you think they will send them out to be rebuilt just like what they did w/ the current F40's?

by sery2831

I dont think they will send this unit out, cause they have not sent a F40PH for a rebuild since 1990. Who knows what will they will do it.

by mxdata

As long as there are an adequate number of spares available in the pool to cover units out for inspections and unscheduled shoppings, it will be very difficult to justify spending any money on this unit to restore and certify it for passenger service. It is much more likely to be used as a work engine.

by DutchRailnut

F40's can not be used as work or switch engines, no corner stairways at all 4 points