• 2nd Track between CP-Potter and CP-Bound Brook coming soon

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by njt4172

nick11a wrote:I've noticed at Bound Brook they've cleared up along the ROW a bit and have placed little surveyor wooden markers with pink wavy streamers at the top marking certain spots.
I'm not surprised! They will be starting construction in 1 month correct? I still can't believe that all this work for 1 double track is not going to detour any trains! Don't they have to completly reconfigure Bound Brook, the controlled siding, and the switch at Potter?? I guess they will just have curfews between 10 am and 6 pm and have everything run after that....

Steve

by nick11a

njt4172 wrote:
nick11a wrote:I've noticed at Bound Brook they've cleared up along the ROW a bit and have placed little surveyor wooden markers with pink wavy streamers at the top marking certain spots.
I'm not surprised! They will be starting construction in 1 month correct? I still can't believe that all this work for 1 double track is not going to detour any trains! Don't they have to completly reconfigure Bound Brook, the controlled siding, and the switch at Potter?? I guess they will just have curfews between 10 am and 6 pm and have everything run after that....

Steve
I shoud think at the critical 2 days of the transition, they'll have to detour some trains and send other ones at different times to allow for the critical transition. As I mentioned earlier, on weekend 212 ran on the NEC. Ashame I missed that one.

by TAMR213

njt4172 wrote:

Steve
Guess this will mean more daytime railfaning for a few months. Awesome! Because usually there seems to be a midday lull where nothing moves around 2pm or so.

by njt4172

I'm assuming the major curfews will be starting soon!

by washingtonsecondary

On top of all this, there is work starting on the CNJ bridge in Phillipsburg Sunday through Tuesday lasting into December. Should make things intresting.

by The Rising

Hello all,

Jut thought I'd put my two cents into this thread.

If what I heard from others is accurate, the only "major reconfiguration" will be at Bound Brook. The current signal "hut" will have to be moved to accomidate the second track. The curve by the station will have to be realligned as well.

As for CP Potter, I have been told that the interlocking at CP Potter will be removed, and a new interlocking will be placed into service somewhere near South Plainfield. That new interlocking will allow trains to "cross over" from either of the two tracks to the other. It is expected to be the only interlocking between CP Aldene and CP Bound Brook. I have no idea of what the interlocking will be called, or whether it will control access to South Plainfield yard or not.

Well, that's all I have to report at the moment.

See ya all later........

by wolfboy8171981

I would beleive if they remove Potter they would make the New interlocking control movements into South Plainfield yard. The MA-1 will have Ziegler and Harris Steel on the old main. Abby Hart will be off the new 2nd track and all three are between Bound Brook and South Plainfield. Also the work in Cranford is on #1 track which would be the New main.

by TAMR213

Anybody have an update on the work, or what this new configuration will be like? How will it effect railfanning this summer, esspecially early to mid August? I ask this, because NJ is the host of the 2006 TAMR National Convention, and being the convention director, I deffinatly wanted to get some railfanning in at such a busy line (eaither at Bound Brook, or Roselle Park, most likely both). Any insight would be appriciated.

by njt5140

TAMR213 wrote:Anybody have an update on the work, or what this new configuration will be like? How will it effect railfanning this summer, esspecially early to mid August? I ask this, because NJ is the host of the 2006 TAMR National Convention, and being the convention director, I deffinatly wanted to get some railfanning in at such a busy line (eaither at Bound Brook, or Roselle Park, most likely both). Any insight would be appriciated.
Passing through there last Friday night on my way to Newark just east of Bound Brook Station I'd say from the Easton Ave bridge to where that chemical plant that gets tank cars is located the WB main was dug up and leveled out with two makeshift grade crossings in place on the current track for MoW vehicles to access. There were two or three construction vehicles parked there with the orange mesh construction fense dividing what would be the two tracks.

by The Rising

Hello all,

Hello NJT 5140,

The work just east of Bound Brook is the final part of the remidiation efforts underway at the Chenical plant. They are cleaning up the last of the contaminated soils in the area. If you noticed, work in this section of the right of way is being completed fairly quickly. with the double track project about to get undeway, the contractor can't drag his feet getting it done.

The game plan, I'm told, is to take out the contaminated soils in the right of way (as reported by NJT 5140), then back fill with clean ballast, relay track on the new track 1 allignment, remove the current track, then remove the rest of the soils under the track two alligment. when all the soil work is done, the second track will be relaid in its original spot.

I'd expect to see some track materials starting to arrive at that site fairly soon.

On another point, I wanted to extend my congratulations to you NJT 5140, I hear that you're well along into your new job opportunity and passed the first series of test. I look forward to hearing how things progress for you in the future.

Well, that's all for now folks.

See ya all later......
  by njt4172

NS added 2 new trains to the system

1) NS 202 Memphis, TN- E-rail, NJ
2) 35K Croxton-Detroit, MI (probably some 33K traffic)

The 202 may take the Port Reading Secondary if the crews are qualified for it...

That is all for now!

by Wanderer

202 isn't a replacemet for anything either. It's a more direct route for the New Orleans/KCS/Memphis traffic to reach the NYC Hub. 35K I haven't seen yet, but am curious to.

In terms of track 2...
There have been stories of what is or was going to happen for over a year now. It was supposed to be started last summer, now they are saying this summer. It's really become more of a 'forget the gossip, watch the action' kind of thing. We'll see what happens.

by The Rising

Hello all,

Greetings to the Wanderer.....

With regards to the double track project, I concur with the Wanderer's point. However, with track construction already underway (Second track is being added as we speak between CP Stock and CP Valley.) and the efforts to complete the Bound Brook remediation (well underway), I think it is more appropriate to uses phrases like this section is underway, or nothing started here yet. To speculate that it's not going to happen is silly. It has already begun.

Well, That's all for now folks...

See y'all later........

by fetzdog121

in reading the forum i was curios as to what the HO2 or HO-2 is and what importance it may have

thanks

by nick11a

fetzdog121 wrote:in reading the forum i was curios as to what the HO2 or HO-2 is and what importance it may have

thanks
H-02 (H zero two) doesn't work on the Lehigh, but out of Dover. The H stands for Harrisburg, which indicates this train falls under Harrisburg operations.