• Abandoned Bridges of NYS

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by TB Diamond

The Canandaigua Outlet bridge on the old LVRR at Manchester is partially abandoned in that the rails on the track 2 side were salvaged several years ago. Ontario Central continues to utilize the track 1 side.
  by ctclark1

march hare wrote:Concrete arch bridge almost parallel to Rte 5 on the east side of Little Falls, used to carry the Little Falls and Dolgeville interurban (can't remember the name of the creek right now). Several (10 or so?) arches still in place, but the steel spans at the east end are gone.
Theres a concrete arch over Reuben Rd on the Tonawanda Indian Reservation, north of Indian Falls. I'm not sure what railroad that was. Possibly the West Shore RR?
  by SRS125

TB Diamond wrote:The Canandaigua Outlet bridge on the old LVRR at Manchester is partially abandoned in that the rails on the track 2 side were salvaged several years ago. Ontario Central continues to utilize the track 1 side.
I rember seeing the 4 FGLK owned Gondolas befor they were sold heading east threw Cayuga, NY in the winter of 2001 full of Plate Gurder Brisge sides that came off the the Ontario central.
  by charlie6017

ctclark1 wrote:Theres a concrete arch over Reuben Rd on the Tonawanda Indian Reservation, north of Indian Falls. I'm not sure what railroad that was. Possibly the West Shore RR?
That is indeed the West Shore............

by calorosome

Spotted today - north of Interlaken along rt 96 is a girder bridge, LV passenger line that ran out of Ithaca along west bank of Cayuga Lake.

There's a girder bridge along the canal's south bank in Waterloo. Anybody know what that was?

by O-6-O

T B Diamond; Any bridge that has "live" rail on it would not be considered
abandoned reguardless of what was on it a long time ago. Nearly every
bridge on the Water Level Route would fall into this category otherwise.

/--OOO--~-oo--oo--==========STEAM ON===============
  by TB Diamond

O-6-0: You are correct and I stand corrected.
In the late 1960s, just east of a place called Hathaways on the old Rochester & Eastern Rapid Railway electric interurban was a short steel bridge over Beards Creek. In those days the R&E r/o/w passed through a cow pasture at this location and at least two of the old catenery poles were still extant. Today, however, a housing development covers the area. Can anyone confirm if the bridge is still intact?

by SRS125

calorosome wrote:Spotted today - north of Interlaken along rt 96 is a girder bridge, LV passenger line that ran out of Ithaca along west bank of Cayuga Lake.

There's a girder bridge along the canal's south bank in Waterloo. Anybody know what that was?
That was the Auburn Div. The NYC followed along the East Bank of the Senica Canal in Watrloo while the LV followed on the West Side. The LV had a switch back that forced the LV to push cars into Senica Falls next to the old Kintting Mill.
  by TB Diamond

In the spring of 1974 there was a short intact bridge with steel stringers and concrete abutments on the old R&E R Rwy. between Fishers and Bushnells Basin. Took a photograph of it when I hiked the R&E Victor to just east of Bushnells Basin. This may well now be history given development in the area in the past 34 years.
  by TB Diamond

Reference the above post pertaining to the R&E bridge. Time elapsed should be 31 years and not 34 years for crying out loud.
  by railwatcher

Here's few of the "in NY" bridges that are intact on the former WAG line From Wellsville to Genesee Pa.:

Island Park - Wooden beam tye structure- now a pedestrian bridge crossed from west side of the river towards the Erie Mainline in Wellsville also serviced South Main Lumber, Agway, and Air Preheater Corp.

Fords Brook Bridge- behind J.R. Fanton's Farm - steel girder bridge

Shongo Genesee River Bridge- Between Graves crossing and State Rt. 19 Shongo station - Steel girder beam

Now a rail trail. WAG last use June 1972. Majority of this line from Genesee to Wellsville was washed out by Hurricane Agnes. Tracks ripped up later in salvage. :(

by chnaus

lvrr325 mentioned the cut stone piers that were left at
a couple of bridge sites on the LV.
They were supports for earlier bridges, left standing
when the most recent bridges were assembled.
Those piers have been standing idle for a good 75 years.

by Schooltrain

chnaus wrote:Don,you spoke of one at/near Red Creek. There is a large one away
from the highway and another double arch in that area that spans the
road and a small creek. If I remember correctly,the road and creek
both make sharp turns on either side and it is like 2 small tunnels.
Great for modeling.
At Red Creek there was one Hojack bridge over Church Street. However, that bridge was removed by Wayne County probably five years ago or more. It was narrow and right at a 90 degree bend in the road.

The double arched bridge that I think you are referring to is on Rathburn Road in the Town of Oswego. The bridge carries the ROW over Rathburn Road and Rice Creek, which is adjacent to the highway.This is still active track, however, owned by NRG going to its oil tank farm for its power station.

One other Hojack bridge (girder, I believe) is over Little Sodus Creek in the Town of Sterling, about 2 miles south of Fair Haven and just west of the junction where the RW&O and LV crossed. It is visible from Sterling Station Road.

by Howiew

There is the concrete arch bridge of the LV main over Rt. 14 in Geneva.
Does the former WS bridge over Schoharie Creek still count. It was used by the NYS Thruway for one of it's lanes when they had a bridge collapse back in 1987. I believe it's still being used to carry a road.

by calorosome

Girder bridge that used to carry LV Auburn branch still stands in Tioga Center, next to Erie ROW. They've removed every other steel bridge on the branch except this one and the one in Waverly...?