• Abandoned Bridges of NYS

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by bwparker1

JoeS wrote:Ex-PRR Sodus branch, also crossing 5&20 at Flint.
That is a great bridge at Flint, with the concrete abutements running up to either side. Always a favorite of mine.

Also, A nice trestle on the LVRR Ithaca passenger main I believe still exists just south and East of Trumansburg, NY.

Brooks

by scottychaos

The LV bridges are all gone west of Geneva to Batavia
untrue..
plenty of LV bridges are still standing between Geneva and Batavia..

I can think of at least 6 LV mainline bridges still standing in that stretch.

1. over route 21 Manchester (active rail)
2. over the creek just west of Rochester Junction.
3. over the LAL mainline just east of the Genesee.
4. over the Genesee.
5. over a stream near Leroy
6. over route 63 in Batavia

probably more..

Scot
  by brockportman

there are a few short concrete bridges left over from the buffalo, lockport and rochester trolley line along the falls road (niagara branch) on the north side of the tracks between redman rd and the monroe/orleans county line road between brockport and holley. its all grown in with weeds and trees but can still be seen during the winter months.

by charlie6017

Welcome aboard, Brockportman!

by FarmallBob

scottychaos wrote:
The LV bridges are all gone west of Geneva to Batavia
untrue..
plenty of LV bridges are still standing between Geneva and Batavia..

I can think of at least 6 LV mainline bridges still standing in that stretch.

1. over route 21 Manchester (active rail)
2. over the creek just west of Rochester Junction.
3. over the LAL mainline just east of the Genesee.
4. over the Genesee.
5. over a stream near Leroy
6. over route 63 in Batavia

probably more..

Scot
Scot - Here's two more:

7 - The simple plate girder span over Honeoye Creek about 1/2 mile west of NY 15 in Rush. Photo: http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPho ... p=70024328

8 - A couple hundred yards west of the LA&L bridge (your #3) is a 2-span, top deck, plate girder structure over an unnamed seasonal stream.

----

And a bit more info on a couple of the others you list above:

#2 is a triple track, thru truss span over Honeoye Creek. Photo: http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPho ... p=70024526

And your #5 is an odd, concrete arch span over Oatka Creek just above Buttermilk Falls.

...FB
  by mbtampa

I remember when I first moved to Canandaigua in 1982, I traveled to Mid Lakes high school for a football game, and I drove under the long abandoned LV bridge...which was blocked off on either side by large poles, strapped with barbed wire...an imposing sight to be sure..... to apparantly keep either pedestrians or the snowmobiler off....just before I moved away, the bridge was removed...havent been back in 20 plus years...
  by TB Diamond

Am positive that the LVRR bridge over Tonawanda Creek just west of the old Batavia Water Works is still intact, or did I simply see something through the trees that I wanted to?

by chnaus

TB, that bridge has been gone at least 5 years.

The LV bridge over 63(Bat) is still active,so it does not count.

LV old main over Taughannock Falls -concrete
LV old main-at least 2 steel trestles on the way down into Ithaca
DL&W over Oatka Creek west of B&O Jct. -steel
DL&W over creek next to Hawks rd Pavilion- steel
PRR over Black Ck at Gen Jct- stone
LV over Murder Ck Corfu-steel
LV over Black Ck Stafford-steel
Erie over Black Ck Staf.-steel
NYC-Peanut over Black Ck Staf-steel
NYC-WS over Black Ck Byron-steel
NYC-WS over Mud Ck Byron-concrete
NYC-WS over Spring Ck west of Byron-stone & concrete
NYC- Hojack Hannibal concrete arch near the road to the station site.
------ This one has a large engraved stone plate about where a
------ keystone would be.

Don,you spoke of one at/near Red Creek. There is a large one away
from the highway and another double arch in that area that spans the
road and a small creek. If I remember correctly,the road and creek
both make sharp turns on either side and it is like 2 small tunnels.
Great for modeling.

by Farmer Joe

Erie Attica Branch, plate girder over Tonawanda Creek between Alexander and Batavia. Also a second plate girder that carried the NYC Attica Branch over the creek is paralell to the Erie at the same location. It makes it appear as if the Erie was double tracked, but it was the NYC along side the Erie.

LV main over Rt 98 south of Batavia, plate girder (1950's vintage). LV main over the Erie Attica Branch is gone.

Erie Attica Branch over CSX main in Batavia, plate girder.

Joe

by JoeS

Erie Niagara branch, city of Tonawanda - two deck girder bridges, one over Ellicott Creek, the other over a long-filled in creek just south of the State St. crossing.

NYC Auburn branch, Ontario County - two bridges (concrete arch I think) one just west of Fishers Rd. and the other over Mud Creek just west of Mertensia Rd.

former DL&W overpass near Griegsville, crossing Rt. 63.

Also some small concrete or timber bridges/trestles on the LV Naples branch in the vicinity of Sunnyside Rd.

by JoeS

>>The LV bridges are all gone west of Geneva to Batavia<<

Also add to the list the infamous LV bridge over Canandaigua outlet, I believe that is still standing, correct?

by nessman

Farmer Joe wrote:Erie Attica Branch over CSX main in Batavia, plate girder.
Actually, the Erie Attica Branch goes under the CSX main, not over it. The metal poles for the telephone/signal wires are still there.

I heard somewhere (and I could be mistaken) that when they rebuild Rt 98 - the LV bridge over it will be taken out. Why they left it in place but removed the one over the Erie Attica Branch is beyond me.
  by Matt Langworthy

calorosome wrote:DL&W thru-truss that carried the main line still stands by Water St exit in Elmira. Abandoned 1960. Big Sucka!
The truss bridge crosses the Chemung River. There is also a spectacular concrete bridge that used to carry the DL&W over Water St. It was occasionally used to store freight cars long after the EL merger and the rail was removed circa 1999.

There are two abandonned stone bridges along Rt. 352 (in Big Flats) that used to carry a trolley line between Corning and Elmira.
  by calorosome

Matt Langworthy wrote:
calorosome wrote:DL&W thru-truss that carried the main line still stands by Water St exit in Elmira. Abandoned 1960. Big Sucka!
The truss bridge crosses the Chemung River.
That's not the Chemung River; that's a big creek, I forget the name.
Matt Langworthy wrote:There are two abandonned stone bridges along Rt. 352 (in Big Flats) that used to carry a trolley line between Corning and Elmira.
<Spanish Inquisition>

*Three*! We have *three* abandoned trolley bridges along Rt 352!

</Spanish Inquisition>

Another one: DL&W Cincinnatus branch, girder bridge near Rt 81 Cortland exit. The highway still bridges the abandoned ROW, it was never filled in.

by Farmer Joe

Les, I know that bridge you are talking about, its on the southwest side of Batavia near the recycling center. But the one I'm referring to is in the city of Batavia along Route 5, near the Ford Dealer. You can see it from the road. Maybe that part of the Erie could be called the Buffalo Corning and New York.

The one CSX goes over the Attica Branch, along with the above mentioned bridge, was built when the New York Central re-routed the main out of the city of Batavia in the mid fifties. And the Lehigh got some new bridges out of that too. Over Route 63 and Route 98. Route 63 bridge is used by GVT and Route 98 bridge is not used. I go under that one every day. I have not heard anything about it coming down, but it won't surprise me if they do remove it soon. The LV bridge over the Attica Branch and the LV truss bridge over the Tonawanda Creek were removed by a private contractor in the mid 90's. (I have the newspaper article) I'm sure the Route 98 bridge removal is going to involve the State DOT. Probably why its still there.

Yes, the telltale poles are still intact along the Attica Branch. One can be seen from Law Street in Batavia and it protected the Tonawanda Creek bridge that is now gone.

The Attica Branch crossed the Central main twice and the Tonawanda Creek twice.

Joe in Darien Center, NY