• Looks like David Gunn is out

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Gilbert B Norman

The Wall Street Journal has given front page coverage of the Gunn firing in its What's News summary. The actual story by their competent transportation reporter Daniel Machalaba appears within the B Section, Marketplace;

• Amtrak directors fired David Gunn, the veteran transit turnaround expert hired as president and chief executive in 2002, saying he was standing in the way of operational changes needed to reduce the national passenger railroad's dependence on massive federal subsidies.

The ouster of Mr. Gunn, a blunt manager who was credited with ridding the New York subway system of graffiti after taking it over in the 1980s, sets up a showdown next year between the Bush administration and Congress over Amtrak's future. Mr. Gunn, 68 years old, opposed a White House push this year to eliminate the federal funding that keeps the unprofitable railroad rolling. The House of Representatives recently approved almost $1.2 billion for Amtrak in the current fiscal year.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1131556 ... earch.html?

Incidentally, the Journal is offering a "sneak preview' at their site through Saturday Nov 12. You can read the article in its entirety for free.

The editorial page is silent today - tune in next week for surely a view contrary to that expressed today on the Times' page.
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
  by henry6

As noted at an earlier posting, there was no coverage on NBC Nightly News, however Jim Lerher on PBS did a quick blurb. Upon reading the several online and AP reports there are several things that become clear about the attitude toward Amtrak and transportation. And I think this has been talked about before. The government set up and continues to require Amtrak to "make a profit". Have the interstate highway systems or state highway systens been asked to "make a profit.? And after taking into consideration that even though airlines are private companies, after you take into consideration government monies poured into r&d for military aircraft which becomes applicable to commercial craft, after you take into considration the traffic control system, after you take into account the municipal govenrments investments in airports, does the airline industry, bottom line, "make a profit.? I am sure there are those quick to point out that a war like that currently being waged in Iraq, does not "make a profit" either. So, then, why do we require Amtrak to make a profit. And that's just one of the many philosophical and real questions that must be addressed by all involved. If Minetta, as a member of the board of Amtrak for 52 months and never attended a meeting, if two seats on the board are vacant and the other two were recess appointments (i.e., stacked by the President), if none on the board have ever operated a railroad either in operations, marketing, or adminsitration, then how can they proclaim Gunn be fired? I hope that members of Congress, besides Shumer of NY, take a closer look at how this administration as totally distorted the truth again and made a mockery of a government "for the people, by the people".

by njt4172

A "brief passage" from statement of NJ Senator Lautenberg:

• "A rogue Amtrak board made of up of the President's cronies and campaign donors has made a rash decision to terminate CEO David Gunn without any consultation with affected communities or other interested parties. Under David Gunn's leadership at Amtrak it has cut its payroll, increased service and attracted a record number of riders.

The full statement

Senator Lautenberg is a good man! No matter how liberal he is and even though I don't agree with some of his issues he nailed it on the head with that statement!!! Hopefully Corzine understands too and gives Gunn a job at NJT.... Write your letter folks!!!

Steve

by TomNelligan

From everything I know about David Gunn, he was a good guy doing a good job with the limited resources that he had been given, and he was the victim of a typical Washington power move.

I am extremely cynical about the state of US politics these days, and I blame the Democrats and Republicans equally for promoting confrontation rather than cooperation. Gunn didn't want to play the game, and so he's gone. A lot of other good people are gone or going too. Only a masochist or an idealogue would want a high profile administrative job in the Federal government these days. The idea of working for the common good has been totally subverted by the us-versus-them battle that zealots on both sides of the Congressional aisle seem to relish.

As for Amtrak itself, I came to the conclusion months ago that it's doomed in its current form. Ride those long distrance trains now, that is if you can afford the sleepers and don't need to get where you're going on time.

by ryanov

Robert Paniagua wrote:Well, I hope that we get a new CEO that can turn Amtrak around for the better, and make us all happier. I guess Gunn didn't do too good of a job going that.
Have you been reading the forum? Do you even ride Amtrak? People here seem very dismayed at the decision, and I was personally behind quite a bit of what Gunn did -- as were the passengers, clearly, since they turned out in record numbers.

by pelican

Gilbert B Norman wrote:For better or worse, the Gunn story is not likely to make Nightly News this evening.

Off Topic

Incidentally, Amtrak already has an acting CEO. He is David Hughes VP-Engineering. Before joining Amtrak, he was with the Boston & Maine - a good operator, now that all the DownEaster "court-stuff' is behind.
Mr. Hughes was on B&M (and BAR) quite some time ago. He has been a consultant for at least 10 years. His B&M service long pre-dated Downeaster (and even Guilford, I think).

by ryanov

njt4172 wrote: Senator Lautenberg is a good man! No matter how liberal he is and even though I don't agree with some of his issues he nailed it on the head with that statement!!! Hopefully Corzine understands too and gives Gunn a job at NJT.... Write your letter folks!!!
Steve
As I said in the NJT forum, I have a feeling that someone who came out of retirement to try to turn around Amtrak is not likely to look for a job at a transit agency.

by GeorgeF

This is a partial quote from the Railway Age website today (I added the bold emphasis). The full story, among others, is at http://www.railwayage.com/breaking_news.shtml

David Gunn: “I did the honorable thing”

When he came out of retirement to accept the position as Amtrak’s President and Chief Executive Officer little more than three years ago, David L. Gunn—a highly respected career railroader with more than 40 years’ experience operating freight trains and running transit systems in the U.S. and Canada—said he didn’t need the job, and if his superiors didn’t like the job he was doing, they could fire him. He’d return to his home in Nova Scotia.

“The Board members came in this morning and asked me to resign. I refused, so they fired me,” Gunn said in an interview this afternoon with Railway Age Editor William C. Vantuono. “I feel at least that I did the right, honorable thing. I wasn’t going to abandon our people.” He said that the Bush Administration’s people wanted to implement their plan, “which is destroying Amtrak.” “I stood in their way,” he said. “That’s why they fired me.”

Gunn, a veteran of the Santa Fe and Illinois Central railroads who made his mark in transportation by turning around transit systems in Boston, New York City, Washington D.C., and Toronto, spent the past three-plus years streamlining Amtrak’s management structure, improving financial controls, and implementing many state-of-good-repair programs on plant and equipment. “If you want an example of getting fired for producing good numbers, this is it,” he said. “It’s an upside-down world we live in.”

“Anything they’ll tell you is bulls_t,” Gunn told Railway Age in his characteristically frank, shoot-from-the hip manner. Citing the 93-6 vote in the Senate approving an Amtrak reathorization bill earmarking nearly $12 billion in mostly capital investment over the next few years, Gunn said “it doesn’t compute. The Administration is serious about taking this place apart.”

Sen. Trent Lott (R-Miss.), who with Sen. Frank Lautenberg cosponsored the successful Amtrak reathorization bill, called the Amtrak Board’s action “a step backward.”

“The manner in which Mineta has handled this is disgraceful,” said another industry observer. He described the Secretary as “widely regarded in the railway industry as little more than a Bush Administration puppet.” Mineta’s pronouncements on Amtrak, particularly, the FRA awarding grants to Amtrak only if it “demonstrates that it has reformed its acquisitions practices,” have sounded like “the petulant parent who threatens to punish a misbehaving child by cutting off his allowance.”

David Laney was previously on record as opposing Administration plans to break up Amtrak. He “is now seen as a part of that effort,” said the National Corridors Initiative. “Many people believe that the Administration will attempt to sell off the Northeast Corridor to a consortium of private interests. Administration officials are reportedly in the process of meeting with the private-sector organizations involved.”

NCI’s analysis may not be wholly accurate. Other sources have told Railway Age that a more likely scenario would involve retaining federal ownership of the NEC but placing operations under the auspices of a public/private partnership that would include a federal/multi-state consortium. That model, Gunn maintains, won’t work, given a railroad’s unique (compared to other transportation modes) need for fully integrated operations and infrastructure.

What happens next? “The Administration is running out of time,” Gunn told Railway Age. “They have to do a lot of the dirty stuff this year, because next year is an election year, and what they’ve got in mind will be very unpopular.” Gunn predicted that, within the next few months, “there will be a lot of train-offs and other service cutbacks.”
  by NE933

If enough people sound off to supportive Congress members, can we call for a reinstatement of Gunn and the termination of all present Board members (MAYBE with the exception of Laney, as he seems to me malleable enough to be shaped the way we need; it happened once before and it can happen again). Cutting off David Gunn without regard to having an experienced railroader in place makes clear that the Board is more interested in following current Administration agenda than about the people's need for trains. I don't understand any other reason. His strategic plan called for designs on ALL trains, corridor, long distance, and everything in between. While the man wasn't perfect, he DID, on HIS WATCH: install better financial health to Amtrak, increased ridership to a record 25M, and got long mothballed cars and engines repaired and running. This irresponsible, half-a--ed decision should be a call to arms: if you are at all care about passenger rail, contact not only the usual Senators/Reps, but influential groups (Friends of Earth released a scathing statement).

by LI Loco

They said they want someone with "vision and experience"

Holy sh--! Joe Vranich has both - in a manner of speaking.

Could they be thinking what I'm thinking they are thinking.
  by locomotiveguy

I tend to throw out random things here and not follow up on the comments. If we don’t talk again I would like to apologies for that. Mr. Norman good point. I want to use #$@% for every other word. But words can not express my feelings. I talked about a protest. How about a letter to congress. I wrote my representatives for the first time this morning. How much weight do you think it had. How about one letter all Amtrak Employees, riders, and fans sign. Each union sends copies to their locals. The actual letter is the cover sheet. The page you sign is attached to the main one. But the sheet you sign is identified to go with it. There was a switch done with that in NOL. So the letter says what most of the people can agree on. If they don’t, they don’t need to sign. We tear of the cover sheet. Stack all the signature sheets under one of them, about 2"s thick, and our man walks it up to congress with the media watching. I may be starting this revolt, but I’m not your man. I know locomotives, not much life out side of that. I nominate Mr. Norman. Or will back anybody he picks to do this. I will pitch in cash to support anyone who does this, or any organization that does this. I don’t know what else needs to be done. Yal are more up on this then me.
You ever make that private pact with God that if you do this I will do that? I made it with Mr. Gunn. After the third doctor told me that my stuff was about stress I gave it up. 2 hurricanes did not help. I gave it up. I am waiting on a letter from CSX.
This BS woke me up. I hope I can hang. Board of Directors Know this, real Spartan blood runs in my veins, watch out.
  by Ken W2KB

locomotiveguy wrote:I tend to throw out random things here and not follow up on the comments. If we don’t talk again I would like to apologies for that. Mr. Norman good point. I want to use #$@% for every other word. But words can not express my feelings. I talked about a protest. How about a letter to congress. I wrote my representatives for the first time this morning. How much weight do you think it had. How about one letter all Amtrak Employees, riders, and fans sign. Each union sends copies to their locals. The actual letter is the cover sheet. The page you sign is attached to the main one. But the sheet you sign is identified to go with it. There was a switch done with that in NOL. So the letter says what most of the people can agree on. If they don’t, they don’t need to sign. We tear of the cover sheet. Stack all the signature sheets under one of them, about 2"s thick, and our man walks it up to congress with the media watching. I may be starting this revolt, but I’m not your man. I know locomotives, not much life out side of that. I nominate Mr. Norman. Or will back anybody he picks to do this. I will pitch in cash to support anyone who does this, or any organization that does this. I don’t know what else needs to be done. Yal are more up on this then me.
You ever make that private pact with God that if you do this I will do that? I made it with Mr. Gunn. After the third doctor told me that my stuff was about stress I gave it up. 2 hurricanes did not help. I gave it up. I am waiting on a letter from CSX.
This BS woke me up. I hope I can hang. Board of Directors Know this, real Spartan blood runs in my veins, watch out.
I work with the Washington reps for a large company. Canned letters and petitions, etc. don't get counted as much. Individual letters could, form letters essentially don't. Also, a letter only counts if the sender lives in the district, i.e., can vote for the person to whom it is sent, and thus it is necessary to include your full name and home address. Finally, e-mail is better than a letter as letters still get delayed checking for anthrax and other nasties.

by AmtrakFan

I am sadly dissapointed that Gunn was fired. He made some good decisions but I don't agree with everything he did. I truly think that Amtrak will make it thru this period.

by NRGeep

Once again, ideology trumps common sense in the Bush administration. When you have former Heritage Foundation think tankers etc calling the shots we will witness the purging of highly competent managers like Gunn who don't go along with the gutting of Amtrak and other progams that are for the benefit of the American people.

by Nasadowsk

Gunn shot himself in the foot, too, though. He pissed off NY state, PA's 'improvements' have dragged on under him, he let contracted commuter services fall apart then walked, he insisted on running an LD network that this country doesn't really need or can afford, he let the NEC fall into further decay, and as time went on, he became 'more of the same' with no real vision for what Amtrak should be, or how to get their.

Then again, he came from the very industry that got us into this mess in the first place.

As for his prior transit acomplishments - look where the MTA, Septa, MBTA, TTC are today. He argueably might have saved the NYC subway from disaster, but I think that's crediting him with more than he deserves...

As for Amtrak? I doubt it'll exist in any form in 5 years, but then, people have been predicting their death since the 70's and missing the mark...