• Looks like David Gunn is out

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by JoeG

Six months ago I would have agreed with Col P that the chances of Gunn getting reinstated were nil. Now, given Congress' reaction, I think he might get offered his job back, but I think that, even if that happened, his position would probably be untenable.
The business about the board not having a legal quorum is probably irrelevant in practice. If the board is ruled illegal, it would be worse for Amtrak because they probably couldn't legally buy any supplies, etc until the situation was fixed. And what would happen then? Bush would appoint a couple more directors who would reaffirm the current board's decisions.

by rhallanger

pelican wrote:
Mr. Toy wrote:Mica was the only one who supported the board's actions. But even he came out in favor of modernizing long-distance services.
I believe Mr. Mica's definition of "modernize" may be "eliminate".
Mr. Mica's behaviour was shameful in that conference. He looked like the lone enemy of Amtrak.

by John_Perkowski

Mr Joe_G,

I'm afraid any rehiring would last exactly as long as it took the White House to find 3 anti-Amtrak Democrats, install them on the BOD, and discharge him again.

Bridges have been burned. Consequences will happen.

For whatever it's worth, my President and his first tier senior leadership seem to be suffering a severe attack of hubris.

Yes, I voted for both his terms.

John Perkowski

by JoeG

Col P--
I agree with you that Mr Gunn has at most a very brief future with Amtrak. I guess I'm kind of surprised that even the Republican Chairman ot the subcommittee that oversees Amtrak complained publicly about the BOD firing Gunn. I would think that the Board would have made the gesture of consulting with this committee, or at least its chairman. Is this just some momentary lapse on the part of the administration or is it indicative of something more?

by John_Perkowski

WITHOUT TAKING US OFF TOPIC!!!!!

My evaluation is LOYALTY is the character trait prized most by this Administration. That's a two edged sword. As I see it, the loyalty is more like a fealty to Mr Bush the man ... not to the President, and not to the Constitution.

To return us into the maw, Mr Gunn showed himself loyal to two ideas: The State of Good Repair, and the National System. So long as intercity passenger rail needs to be Federal in nature, his job is political in nature. I laud him for taking the risk, and I lament he took the hit.

John Perkowski

by AmtrakFan

It is time Congress got involved and made up the borad to there liking. I am also surprise Gunn even lasted this long.

by Steam

Good Op-Ed piece in today's Boston Globe by Mike Dukakis concerning the firing.

by DeeCT

Thought I would provide a link to op-ed piece mentioned in previous posting.

Boston Globe

by John_Perkowski

Nice op-ed piece.

NWIH it'll happen (sadly), but nice.

Nice to see Amtrak has bipartisan support in terms of working politicians. :)

John Perkowski