Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by MickD

Unfortunately I didn't think I was gonna' be able to get off from work to come down that weekend from Cape Cod so I wrote this off.Now it turns out because of Katrina I can.Info's no longer on MTA website.Are FL9's
running from through from GCT or starting out from Stamford ? I'd like to get a photo from Pelham platform if it's from NYC.That's where I first
saw 'em as a kid.

by DutchRailnut

The Fl9's will start from Stamford, to Danbury and upto Canaan.
and return.
The FL9's will not travel to GCT, as they no longer are Dual modes

by MickD

Dutch Rail,
Thanks for the info.Might try&catch em' somewhere in between.

by MN Jim

The train departs Stamford at 9:20 AM. The equipment will be platformed at about 8:45, so there's a good 35 minutes to get photos in Stamford station, although only ticketed passengers will be permitted on the track 2 platform.

The train will lay over in Danbury for about 35 minutes as well, for a quick visit to the Danbury Railway Museum. The train will arrive on track 6 (outer loop track), and while passengers are in the museum, will be moved over to the Tilcon Running Track (Maybrook Line, closest to the station). Pictures won't be possible while the train is laying over, as the locomotives will be on the east end, which is not public property.

Jim

by DaveP

Wouldn't it be cool if they cool if they put hancock whistles back on the FL9's for the trip :-D

by DutchRailnut

That thought has been played with but its to be seen if its technicaly possible.
During rebuilts the size piping used may not support the Hancocks.
Hancocks work on air volume, not air pressure.

by MN Jim

We're looking into it. Dutch is right; hopefully that issue wil be resolved in the next day or so. MNR doesn't have any left, but I happened to mention to the right person that I wanted to do that, and that person just happened to be the owner of one. He has offered it to us on loan, so if it's possible, one of the units will have one. We'll see.

We also have to get a final answer on whether or not they're compliant with the new FRA horn rules. A quick reading of the rules tells me (I'm not an expert) that they are compliant, but the people who know better than I will make that decision.

Jim

by DutchRailnut

A second restored Hancock could probably be borrowed from The Danbury Railway Museum.
The Hancock of MNCR 2008 is sitting inside the DRM, it was rebuilt and cleaned by Harmon Clean room after asking former VP Kirner for it years ago.
The New Haven GRFE and I discussed the Hancocks and legality with the FRA present and no restrictions are in the FRA rules, the dBa level of Hancock complies with todays requirment and infact the level has not been changed in Decades.
  by RussM

It has been reported in the Yahoo - Housatonic Railroad Forum that a 75 foot section of track, and some of the embankment, was washed out south of Rooster Tail Hollow Road in New Milford. Anyone know anything more about this, and if it can be repaired in time for Sunday's excursion ?

by rhallock

My bad! the link was from 2003! Sorry!
  by RussM

This is a followup to my previous post on Page 10.
Paul K. on the Yahoo -HRRC board reports that he went to the the site Sunday evening and found a backhoe there, but no signs of work having started. He estimated that it might take about three days to make repairs. Fill would have to be brought in. From the picture he posted, it appears that a culvert washed out, and the track is hanging across the gap. He said he thinks that there were some other places along the tracks that may have been under water, but is not aware of any damage.

by njt4172

Ok, so the trip to Canaan will not occur now because of the washout??? Anyone know for sure what they are gonna do? Maybe the should have just stuck to the original plan of going up to Waterbury instead!

Steve

by njtmnrrbuff

I hope the trip can still happen. The important thing about the trip is to say goodbye to the cab units. It would be nice to see some rare trackage. I wouldn't mind going up to Waterbury. I have taken that line before and the scenery is pretty. Hopefully nothing was washed away on the Waterbury as the right of way runs along water most of the time.
  by RussM

Paul K. reports that as of Monday afternoon they had laid a new pipe in the culvert, and that about 40 yards of rock and gravel had been delivered by train. The local contractor said that much more fill is needed. The word from the Housy work crew is that the rest of the line is OK. There was one soft spot which they fixed.