Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by DutchRailnut

Great pictures Andy, it shows the great task the HRRC and Contractor are facing, Kudo's to all involved.

by njtmnrrbuff

The day is chugging along. I have to decide whether if I will use 400 speed film or 200. I want to take slides. I think Saturday looks like to be the real washout. Sunday shouldn't be too much of one but it might not be perfect. Weatherman aren't always right as we know. Very nice pictures, Andy.

by oddball

nice story in the litchfield times...think metro north wants to sell me that FL9 simulator? :-) also, where in new milford is/was the washout? i live right in town but didnt get to look around because of work..

by Otto Vondrak

Dont shoot 400, unless you want a grainy mess when you're done. Don't go above 200 speed if you're worried about overcase weather. Those are my reccommendations.

-otto-

by DutchRailnut

Washout was north of Boardman bridge at Rooster Tail Hollow rd.

by pgengler

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:The day is chugging along. I have to decide whether if I will use 400 speed film or 200. I want to take slides.
I'll be shooting ISO200 slide film along with digital. I don't know how dark it will be if/when it's overcast, but I was shooting the same type of film on the Naugatuck trip, and while I haven't put the slides through a projector yet, they look good.

by njt4172

alewifebp wrote:I can't wait for the trip. So far it does look like rain, though.

I'd also like to remind everyone that the temperature at Canaan will probably be at least 10 degrees cooler than the temperature down in NYC, so it will pay to dress accordingly.
Actually now the forecast looks like the rain will move out by Sunday morning...Could have dry conditions by the afternoon! :-D I am hoping for late day sun, but that still may not happen!

Steve
  by Noel Weaver

Great article about the upcomming trip and interesting pictures too.
Thank you very much for posting them.
Unfortunately, I will not be going on this most interesting trip but I wish all
of you the best, may everything go as planned. Thanks too, to the
railroad (Metro-North) and its people for making this happen.
Enjoy, everybody!!!!
Noel Weaver
  by mattmason

How are the fall colors along the line for the trip? I would really like to get some tree color and an NH f-unit.

Plane leaves tomorrow!!! Anyone else on this list going that isn't a from the Northeast?

Thank you Metro-North for what appears to be a great trip.

Matt Mason
Sacramento, CA

by Otto Vondrak

There should still be plenty of color on the trees... hopefully the sun cooperates. But Metro-North made the sun shine for the Beacon Line trip and the ACMU trip!!
  by RussM

Our friend Paul K. reports that he visited the washout site in New Milford about 2:30pm, in time to see NX11 roll through with three engines and an enormous number of cars. Warm up the FL9 !
  by MN Jim

RussM wrote:Our friend Paul K. reports that he visited the washout site in New Milford about 2:30pm, in time to see NX11 roll through with three engines and an enormous number of cars. Warm up the FL9 !
101 cars, according to the "you can breathe, now" call I got from the HRRC after it cleared. ;-)

Kudos to the Housatonic Railroad on a job VERY well done!

Jim

by DutchRailnut

The two FL9m's on excursion are 2027 facing north and 2024 facing south.

by nick11a

DutchRailnut wrote:The two FL9m's on excursion are 2027 facing north and 2024 facing south.
Thanks for the heads up!

by 4 Express

DutchRailnut wrote:The two FL9m's on excursion are 2027 facing north and 2024 facing south.
Are each one going to be on opposite sides?