• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by CTL10D

Hey guys-

Just caught the SA-31 pulling into Lakehurst and wrapping up for the night. Power was NS GP40-2 3045. -Chris

by NY&LB

Remember those bundles of ties off Maxwell Street...well, at 5:30pm today there was a track machine placing the new ties along side the rails, one new tie placed at each pink paint mark where ties are to be replaces, the machine was just past the curve heading west so I did only got a quick glimps as I drove over the Maxwell St crossing. The ties were not being replaced yet, just being placed along side the tracks for now.

by CTL10D

Hey guys-

They have also been replacing many ties in Red Bank over the last 2 days. Yesterday they spent the entire day, as well as this morning, working in-between West Bergen Place and Newman Springs Road replacing ties. -Chris

by NY&LB

Ties are being replaced right now (1 PM Fri) between Hope Rd and Pine Brook Rd (Tinton Falls).

by CTL10D

Hi guys-

Saw the same vehicles NY&LB mentioned above from the Parkway overpass around 5pm. I guess the Southern is in need of some TLC. Take care =Chris

by wolfboy8171981

Yes the Southern is in need of TLC. Back in '02 before they put the slow orders up it was real bouncy around MP60. There was a private crossing around MP50 that was really bad the x-ing was 132lb rail and then droped to 100lb on the next section and they were always breaking railjoiners there because they never made a 132-100 only 132-110.

Wolf

by NY&LB

Train did run yesterday, Heard the Coast Line Dispatcher clear them down the line just befroe 4 PM. the Railroad Construction Company is doing the tie replacement work, their track equipment is on the siding off Pine Brook Road.

by Jtgshu

Passed them about 4pm in the Holmdel area - had I believe it was the NS3045 with 17 loads - the first two cars were loaded gons with old ties - I thought it was odd that they were heading down the Southern with old ties - They didn't look in very good shape, and didn't look reuseable at all.

As a side note, it looks as if work is getting ready to commence on the reconstruction of the bridge in South Amboy - the "sawtooth" bridge over the Coast line that carries the Church Running track - all the vegetation on it and surrounding it has been cleared away over the past week, and CR MOW trucks are parked up on it.

That bridge is supposed to be replaced with a new rail and road bridge over the Coast Line

by njtmnrrbuff

I will be in Perth Amboy on Saturday, arriving there at 11:55. I hope to see something as I won't be hanging out by the station all day there.

by nick11a

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:I will be in Perth Amboy on Saturday, arriving there at 11:55. I hope to see something as I won't be hanging out by the station all day there.
You MIGHT see the SA42 (Oak Island to Browns Yard via Chemical Coast-NJCL-Amboy Secondary) but it may run before you get there.

by CTL10D

Hi guys
Caught the SA-31 doing its chores as they headed back North today. Man o man does Lakewood turn into a parking lot once they go through. :wink: Take care -Chris

by CTL10D

Hi guys-

Caught the SA-31 in Farmingdale on my way home tonight. Power was CSX GP40-2 4415, with about 11 or 12 cars. The fact that the 4415 is back may evoke some irritated groans from Southern Secondary fans. lol :wink: Take care -Chris

by nick11a

CTL10D wrote:Hi guys-

Caught the SA-31 in Farmingdale on my way home tonight. Power was CSX GP40-2 4415, with about 11 or 12 cars. The fact that the 4415 is back may evoke some irritated groans from Southern Secondary fans. lol :wink: Take care -Chris
Well, not me (I'm probably the only one.) Any catch of the SA31 for me is good as I'm not down there all that often and I haven't caught it in quite a while.

by njtmnrrbuff

I will keep my eye out for freights whenever I am by the railroad in Perth Amboy tomorrow.

by CTL10D

Hey guys-

Followed the SA-31 tonight from Farmingdale to Lakehurst. Power was NS GP40-2 #3021, with about 15 cars. The 3021 had sparks shooting out the exhaust as it accelrated out of Farmingdale, quite a sight. Take care. -Chris