• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

by highballartist

Does anyone know the status of the 998 and 999? On the property yet? Still waiting to be picked up?
  by BowdoinStation

p42thedowneaster wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:07 pm Quite a few of the fully modified Boise Budds are at Grand Canyon. These are the ones that had the roof "exhaust" bumps removed and HEP added. I think the Hobo only has a couple MBTA modified Budds, but theirs are of the ones which retained the proper roof line of an RDC. The others at Lincoln, I think, are mostly de-motered rdcs without HEP lines.
Hobo & Winnipesaukee Scenic roster several former B&M and Reading heritage Budd cars.. We're told, former B&M 6148, known as the "Fairview" car, was the original Boise Budd prototype rebuild. Operator controls were removed from one end with the headlamps plated over, the exhaust and radiator fan hump were also plated over though not removed, engines were removed, the interior featured new lighting for the time. Operator controls & headlights remained at one end to lead push backs. The interior was modified by the Hobo with the coach seats removed, and table seating installed.

The other owned former B&M Budds & Reading Budds were never rebuilt or modified externally by the MBTA and operate today as non-powered coaches. I think only the former Reading RDC1 #9151 still has two Detroit Diesels mounted underneath.

Bringing it back to the CSRX thread, they have a self propelled, fully operational former New Haven RDC-1..
  by NHV 669

It seems there was a reason behind the bus purchases:

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/ports-d ... zGi_5GGpGE

Conway Scenic Railroad is rolling out a dedicated cruise train in a bid to become an iconic shore excursion from Portland, Maine into New Hampshire's scenic and historic White Mountains.

'Our excursion trains are an experience, stepping back in time and sharing that experience with friends and family, and reliving how people lived in the 1950s or the 1920s,' Conway Scenic Railroad co-owner Dave Swirk said.

It's a trip that 135,000 people a year take now. But by cultivating the cruise business, Swirk models his ambitions on the Alaska Railroad and is investing every year to grow scale.

Conway's new dedicated cruise train will consist of four first-class, air-conditioned cars with total capacity for 364 passengers. With the departure timed to ships' arrivals, the railroad can accommodate lines and customize the experience for their guests.
  by bostontrainguy

This should be a winner. Cruise ship passengers love this kind of stuff.
  by CSRR573

That article creates some questions. Will this "4 car" train be an addition to the regular Notch and Valley runs? Perhaps this bolsters their position to rehab the Mountain Division in Maine? Where is all this equipment going to be stored, especially if the Flying Yankee dream ever come true. And it seems like they're trying to price out the regular old customer on the notch.
  by NHV 669

60 million to get the Mountain to class I, so you can sit on a train for 10+ hours? I wouldn't hold my breath... there's nowhere to store the shuttle set or load passengers directly off a cruise anyway.
  by Who

CSRR573 wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:34 pm That article creates some questions. Will this "4 car" train be an addition to the regular Notch and Valley runs? Perhaps this bolsters their position to rehab the Mountain Division in Maine? Where is all this equipment going to be stored, especially if the Flying Yankee dream ever come true. And it seems like they're trying to price out the regular old customer on the notch.
The way I understand it, there will be a 2nd separate Mountaineer train, but I don't know if that means a 3rd trainset or if the cruise ship train will operate on different days. Right now, during the summer the regular Mountaineer only departs on Tuesdays, Thursday & Saturdays, I suppose they could reserve the other days for the cruise line; no idea how that will work out in the fall.
Bartlett is about to become the hub of operations for Maintenace of Way, they took over the roundhouse and will be using that for storage, and the freight house for office space. Moving all equipment to Bartlett will free up much needed space in N. Conway.
  by NHV 669

highballartist wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:42 pm Does anyone know the status of the 998 and 999? On the property yet? Still waiting to be picked up?
Still sitting in the Island Pond yard on the SLR... maybe next year with whatever else shows up?
  by NHV 669

It was mentioned in the link I posted above, but not at this depth. Interesting that Swirk wants to get 1,000 riders a day from the cruises. I understand that applies to the VIP subsidiary as a whole, but that's 2 out of 3 people getting off the boat.
  by MEC407

As someone who had the misfortune of traveling aboard VIP buses several times in the past, I hope the Swirks maintain them better than VIP did. Being trapped inside a broken-down bus on a hot day — with windows that can't be opened — is miserable at best.
  by CSRR573

Seeing the current state of N. Conway yard, the depot and the current cleanliness of the roster, I doubt it. Get ready to see broken down busses stored in the north yard and down at conway
  by BandA

1000 riders a day seems like quite a stretch! Now if he remade those buses as hi-rail buses he'd have a one-seat ride :wink:
  by NHV 669

Some excellent news from the 470 club:
The 470 Railroad Club is pleased to announce the donation of “The Waterville Wreck Train” from CSX. The 470 Club has worked with CSX and generously accepted the donations of several Maine Central and Boston and Maine freight cars to add to our collection in North Conway. While the freight cars will all help serve Conway Scenic Railroad in maintaining the B&M Conway Branch, and Maine Central Mountain Division, the Waterville Wreck Train will serve as an educational tool and display in North Conway for guests to enjoy. The 470 Club working with Conway Scenic Railroad, would like to preserve, display, and demonstrate the Boston and Maine Wreck Train (Waterville Wreck Train) for guests at the North Conway yard. CSX has been very generous working with us to preserve some of the last historic rail equipment remaining of the B&M and Maine Central that was acquired through their purchase of Pan Am Railways.

Thanks to support from CSX, the 470 Club has already prepared most of the equipment at this point for its journey to North Conway. Air Brake tests, and mechanical inspections and repairs have been made to the equipment to make it safe for its journey. We have secured the funds to transport the equipment from Waterville, Maine to North Conway, NH where it will be displayed. However due to the nature of the Boston and Maine Crane 3365 and its extra weight, the State of NH and Conway Scenic Railroad have teamed up to upgrade two obstacles on the route to North Conway. Two trestle bridges on the Groveton Branch will be strengthened to safely allow the equipment to pass without damaging the infrastructure. We anticipate the work will be complete in the spring of 2024, and sometime shortly after the Wreck Train, will begin its final journey to its retirement home in North Conway, NH.

What is included in this generous donation from CSX? At this time the Waterville Wreck train donation includes: 1929 Industrial Brownhoist 200 Ton Crane BM 3365, Boom Flat BM 524, Tool/ Cable Boxcar MEC 546, Cable Boxcar MEC 545, and Crew quarters/baggage Coach BM 309. These five pieces as well as other equipment have all been prepped for the journey to North Conway. We hope to receive them within the 2024 season.

How can you help with the preservation of this Boston and Maine Wreck Train Equipment? By donating today via gofundme, or by check to the 470 Club PO Box 641 Portland, Maine 04104. While we financially have covered the transportation, we are in need of support to help with the restoration of the equipment. The goal will be to repaint the pieces to their historic B&M or MEC appearances from the 1950s. We also hope to set up displays inside BM 309 to show the wreck crane in action on the Boston and Maine, as well as other display to be open to public. While there is much more work ahead of us to get this equipment in North Conway, we appreciate the help of all donations big or small. Please consider donating today to help get this project on track! All donations are tax deductible, the 470 Club is 501C3 and we can provide receipts, and you can use the GoFundMe printout as proof as well. Thanks for your continued support!

The mission of the Corporation shall be to expand the public appreciation of railroads and their history through preservation, experience and education. In furtherance of this mission, the Corporation may acquire, maintain, exhibit and demonstrate railroad equipment and memorabilia of all kinds, and take all necessary actions pertaining there to.

Here is the link to the go fund me page if you want to donate to help out to get these restored.

https://gofund.me/f0c1e6b9