• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Bracdude181

Nowadays it’s a big grey circle where BR covered the paint. Track was really bad towards the end of 84 Lumber still being there. Brick paid to get the siding fixed up when they moved in.
  by AWSmith

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 4:50 pm Nowadays it’s a big grey circle where BR covered the paint. Track was really bad towards the end of 84 Lumber still being there. Brick paid to get the siding fixed up when they moved in.
I think there is a switch just after the gate and there is a short leg that goes towards the yard. Historic Aerials shows two cars on it. (2010)
Last edited by AWSmith on Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Bracdude181

The smaller stub held gondola cars Brick would fill with heavy steel. They’ve gotten as much as 4 cars in one trip. Last shipment was in early 2019.

The larger track that goes next to the building is where the tankers go. You can see it from 34.
  by AWSmith

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:05 pm The smaller stub held gondola cars Brick would fill with heavy steel. They’ve gotten as much as 4 cars in one trip. Last shipment was in early 2019.

The larger track that goes next to the building is where the tankers go. You can see it from 34.
There are dated street views that show the tank car all the way up to the bumper. Then another date showing it near the back of the warehouse. How do the trucks access the tank cars contents? LONG hose from the front parking lot?
  by Bracdude181

They pick it up with a tanker truck. They hook it up to the tank with a hose. Apparently they do it at night?

I believe this is also how they did it when Bel Ray was still there.
  by JohnFromJersey

Lots of work going on in Farmingdale right now. It looks like there is a guy fixing the Main Street crossing gates right now.

In addition, the southbound leg of the wye has had its gravel base laid down, and they look like they are getting ready to put tracks down. They also have tracks down next to the SOUS by Marl Rd, which I assume will be the tracks for the crossing. No sign of the switch yet, however.
  by JohnFromJersey

Any word on a train for today?

I passed by the wye work site this morning. There's some excavation going on the side of Railroad Ave where the wye leg is, and it seems like there were some workers getting ready to cut the rail on the SOUS to prepare for the switch.

The guy from yesterday was still working on the gates for Main St.
  by JohnFromJersey

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:05 pm The smaller stub held gondola cars Brick would fill with heavy steel. They’ve gotten as much as 4 cars in one trip. Last shipment was in early 2019.

AWSmith wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 6:10 pm There are dated street views that show the tank car all the way up to the bumper. Then another date showing it near the back of the warehouse. How do the trucks access the tank cars contents? LONG hose from the front parking lot?
The last Brick Recycling gondola car shipment you can see on Google Maps is from 2018. In that same Streetview, it seems like there are two tanker cars. This was around when Bel-Ray was still there (IIRC), so I wouldn't be shocked if Laird's and Bel-Ray got shipments at the same time occasionally.
  by Bracdude181

Lots of work going on in Farmingdale. Some rails are being thermite welded together and switch ties are sitting in a pile across the street.
  by AceMacSD

MHKProductions wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:47 pm I think it was confirmed it was fake sadly.
I have the grandkids for a few weeks and the internet goes into complete chaos.

No. It's not fake. My source at CSX says they've been in contact with NJT for clearance requirements, height, width, weights etc. Sources at NJT & CSX say the move's given the preliminary go ahead. This'll also require the all clear from NJT personal who'd have to measure the cars at the Island before further movement can be done.

Now if you've red the papers lately, you'll see the project has been halted. Environmentalists don't want anymore exploding whales or whatever they're citing to stop it. The project may've been put on hold but the move of certain items was not fake.
  by AceMacSD

JohnFromJersey wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:01 pm Genuinely confused as to why any work happens south of Lakehurst, if there will never be any sand trains
It's the same thing with the roadways. Money is requested and when the checks are cut the work has to be done or they lose the money. There's also penalties for misuse of funds. It's not an easy process to redirect the money. The issuer doesn't know the line was cut back. They go by documentation and make the decision to approve or deny the request. Easier to let it go and make a new request.