• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Bracdude181

Red Bank at 12:30 PM

There was a large hi rail truck heading north on the Southern but had to stop at Woodhaven to let the train work. I don’t know how far north they made it or if they stayed in town or left…
  by Ken W2KB

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:32 am Hope this gives an idea of how far left the new tracks are from the old alignment.Image
Makes sense to permit electric utility crews to access the transmission line without fouling the track.
  by Bracdude181

Didn’t see the hi railer so I guess they did their inspection today. Never seen a railroad do a Ho rail inspection with one of those big trucks that carries around stick rail.
  by pumpers

Ken W2KB wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:57 pm
Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 11:32 am Hope this gives an idea of how far left the new tracks are from the old alignment.Image
Makes sense to permit electric utility crews to access the transmission line without fouling the track.
To be honest, given all the recent heavy brush removal, etc, and things being so overgrown after so many years out of service, it is hard to know just from looking at that picture where the old tracks actually were. What looks like a wide open ROW on the left may actually have been work done by the power company to keep access to their line open, or just how it was recently cleared, ...
  by CharlieL

The previous alignment starts where the tracks appear (to the immediate right in the picture) and then proceeded to the right of where the new tracks are now. Notice the concrete "phone booth" and the trailer. That trailer was within a foot or so of the tracks in the past alignment. Looks like they moved the alignment at Adelphia Rd to cross the little bridge without a zig then continued straight almost to Southard Ave then went slightly east to pick up the Southard crossing.
  by Bracdude181

I believe the old track is still there as the ends of ties are visible in the dirt. I’ll get a better angle next week.
  by Bracdude181

Yes, the new track is slightly closer to the power poles. I believe the old track sits (or sat if it’s still there) between the new rails and the trailer in the background of my picture.
  by OportRailfan

Kaback9 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:33 pm
CR7876 wrote:
Bracdude181 wrote:So are they not gonna use the bridge that’s there? I will say that bridge is questionable. I can see them replacing the tracks though. Last train on that portion was in 2008 with NS 3026 and 8 cars and at that time it was bad enough that they had to absolutely crawl over that stretch.
Do you have a fear of bridges? You seem to have a problem with just about every single one of them.
Really wish my old rr.net colleagues were around some days :-D .

I'd hate to hear what he thinks of the 25th Street Viaduct in Philly...
Some quality posters would have a field-day with this.
  by David

Some comments here are beginning to upst me. Be careful what you write. Too many hostilities. Thank you. David
  by jrzwalker86

I definitely would like to take a few moments to say, Thank you!, to all those taking time out of their busy days to report the exciting progress of the railroad and to those who uploaded all of these fabulous, encouraging images.