• Adirondack Suspended (Just like that its gone)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by R36 Combine Coach

CN seems also have hold VIA hostage over certain routes, some never restored (such as Gaspe). Although the
Omnitrax-owned Hudson Bay Railway was quickly restored to service within a year.
  by west point

Canada does not have a law or an Oberman to hold Canadian RRs to a high level of service for operations other than the high bulk they carry? Now if it were grain, coal, ore, or other bulks ??? Since CN operates this route freights at night what costs can really be directly caused by Amtrak?

So how much damage have CN freight traffic done to the ~~ 36 miles?? How many Gross tons? Did CN even surface track, add ballast, replace cross ties, ETC? Would it have done so if Amtrak had operated? If any route stick rail then no work is very bad. That is almost 3 years that it might have been kept up except for Covid.
  by lordsigma12345

The historic Windsor Station technically still exists but it no longer has any tracks in it. The tracks were truncated to where the current Exo station is now to make way for the Bell center and a commercial office building which were built between the current Exo station and Windsor station. The historic Windsor Station itself is now a commercial property though one can access the Exo station from it via the below grade levels. I suppose theoretically a pre clearance facility could be constructed in the historic station and then people would proceed to the tracks with the train requiring prove they were cleared but unsure if that’s feasible.
  by Engineer Spike

There are a few inaccuracies which I'd like to straighten out. First, as a statewide legislative officer for the BLE, and was calling elected officials during the last few years, following the termination of service. The goal was to at least resume service to Rouses Point, and at least Plattsburgh. As mentioned, Plattsburgh is very busy because it is really the commercial center for the northern Adirondacks. It Las has the state university, which has many students, who may not be able to afford tuition and a car. Saratoga could well use a second service daily, especially with summer tourist season.

The CN Rouses Point Sub does have freight traffic on it. NS runs a haulage train over the D&H, to Rouses Point. Also, facilities exist for turning and staging a train in Plattsburgh. D&H Bluff Point Yard is about four miles south of the station. I don't think that it would be too difficult of a reverse move for a trainman on the tail hose, in the back vestibule of the last coach. Adjacent to the yard is a wye, which accesses the Park Industrial Track.
  by Railjunkie

Engineer Spike wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:19 pm There are a few inaccuracies which I'd like to straighten out. First, as a statewide legislative officer for the BLE, and was calling elected officials during the last few years, following the termination of service. The goal was to at least resume service to Rouses Point, and at least Plattsburgh. As mentioned, Plattsburgh is very busy because it is really the commercial center for the northern Adirondacks. It Las has the state university, which has many students, who may not be able to afford tuition and a car. Saratoga could well use a second service daily, especially with summer tourist season.

The CN Rouses Point Sub does have freight traffic on it. NS runs a haulage train over the D&H, to Rouses Point. Also, facilities exist for turning and staging a train in Plattsburgh. D&H Bluff Point Yard is about four miles south of the station. I don't think that it would be too difficult of a reverse move for a trainman on the tail hose, in the back vestibule of the last coach. Adjacent to the yard is a wye, which accesses the Park Industrial Track.
I work with the state legislative rep for the BLE and yes there have been letters written. Have we seen or heard any answers? NO. I agree the train should go to Plattsburg for reasons stated. I have loaded and unloaded some of those holiday trains with kids and their books plenty of times. Also sat on the crossing as a engineer a few times with it blocked for more than 10 minutes. The use of the wye at Bluff Point would need CP permission just like the wye in Saratoga. More than once its been wye? What wye. Easier to run push pull. As for the NS trains those and all other CP make a left at Rouses Point towards Delson QC not straight through the hand thrown switch that brings you to CN property towards Cantic QC.

Last but not least in talking with the local chairman today service could possibly, sorta kinda, maybe, start back up in September.
  by Railjunkie

A "new" train will run to NYP/Saratoga on 69/68 times for the foreseeable future. It could work out well for racing season.
  by Jeff Smith

Amtrak, CN at odds over suspension of daily Montreal-New York train: Montreal Gazette
“We have recently seen an inconsistent application of CN’s historical heat order policy, and are concerned that if we continue to operate trains, there’s potential our customers could be stranded in place or add 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours of delays during their trip,” Jason Abrams, a spokesperson for Amtrak in New York, said Thursday via email.

In the meantime, Amtrak is “continuing our conversations with CN and exploring all possible solutions with New York state, and look forward to resuming Adirondack service north of Albany,” Abrams added, without offering a target date.

CN has a different point of view.

Amtrak “is responsible and has failed to pay for the maintenance required to keep the track at a level that accommodates its service,” Abecassis said. “If Amtrak agrees to make that investment, CN could upgrade the track to a level that would reduce heat restrictions.”

Asked for a reaction to those comments, Abrams said Amtrak “has been fulfilling all of its financial commitments and obligations” specified by its agreement with CN — including payments of $3.2 million to the Canadian railroad since the Canada-U.S. border reopened to help prepare for resumed Adirondack service.
  by Hawaiitiki

The track speed on the Adirondack route from the border to Montreal was some of the slowest speeds on a regularly scheduled train I have ever experienced in a first world country, so I'm not surprised something finally broke here. It felt like a cruise ship through Canadian farmland.

Hopefully all this mess leads to actually improved conditions. (but may lead to the service dying forever) In a perfect world, you could cut 120min off of this journey if you combined modest modern passenger train speeds in Canada with preclearance in Montreal, which would make it a rare "non-northeast corridor" amtrak train thats competitive time-wise with driving.
  by Railjunkie

Jeff Smith wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:16 am Amtrak, CN at odds over suspension of daily Montreal-New York train: Montreal Gazette
“We have recently seen an inconsistent application of CN’s historical heat order policy, and are concerned that if we continue to operate trains, there’s potential our customers could be stranded in place or add 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours of delays during their trip,” Jason Abrams, a spokesperson for Amtrak in New York, said Thursday via email.

In the meantime, Amtrak is “continuing our conversations with CN and exploring all possible solutions with New York state, and look forward to resuming Adirondack service north of Albany,” Abrams added, without offering a target date.

CN has a different point of view.

Amtrak “is responsible and has failed to pay for the maintenance required to keep the track at a level that accommodates its service,” Abecassis said. “If Amtrak agrees to make that investment, CN could upgrade the track to a level that would reduce heat restrictions.”

Asked for a reaction to those comments, Abrams said Amtrak “has been fulfilling all of its financial commitments and obligations” specified by its agreement with CN — including payments of $3.2 million to the Canadian railroad since the Canada-U.S. border reopened to help prepare for resumed Adirondack service.
Shocking a squabble about $$$ between Amtrak and CN not the first time in my 25 years and I am pretty sure it wont be the last.

This is an interesting little snippet, Wonder if CN has their hand out for monies due when train WAS NOT running due to COVID. A sneaky suspicion this could be true, I mean look at all the maintenance CN could have done. BBBWWWHAHAHAHA. :-D :-D :-D.

It may be back in September when it cools down but who knows for sure.
  by Railjunkie

Hawaiitiki wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:48 am The track speed on the Adirondack route from the border to Montreal was some of the slowest speeds on a regularly scheduled train I have ever experienced in a first world country, so I'm not surprised something finally broke here. It felt like a cruise ship through Canadian farmland.

Hopefully all this mess leads to actually improved conditions. (but may lead to the service dying forever) In a perfect world, you could cut 120min off of this journey if you combined modest modern passenger train speeds in Canada with preclearance in Montreal, which would make it a rare "non-northeast corridor" amtrak train thats competitive time-wise with driving.
MAS on the Rouses Point Sub, 50mph. It may have been faster at one time but that was before my time. CN really doesn't care for the sub that well and there always seems to be 2 to 3 mile long 30mph temporary speed restrictions add in the 30 and 35 mph MAS through some of the towns. Depending on how your clearances worked its all paper from the boarder to Cannon where you finally cross into signaled territory or CTC as CN likes to call it. It could make for a long day. I do not see CN raising the speeds just for Amtrak the crews going up there would be happy if they could just get over the road.
  by Jeff Smith

Article: GlobalNews.CA

Apparently, there's a plan to resume service to Saratoga:
Concerns mount over suspension of Montreal-New York City train route
Amtrak’s suspension means service to a dozen stops has ceased, including Montreal as well as Saratoga Springs and Plattsburgh in New York.

CN and New York State’s Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) have held discussions on potential solutions, an Amtrak spokesperson said in an email.

“Unfortunately, Amtrak, CN and NYSDOT have not found a workable solution for this summer that would prevent our customers from experiencing significant delays of up to four hours or even being stranded in the middle of their trip,” said Jason Abrams.

Regular service on the Adirondack line could resume in mid-September, when CN is expected to lift its periodic heat restrictions — or sooner if temperatures drop — he added.

Meanwhile, the train will relaunch service to Saratoga Springs, located roughly 55 kilometres north of Albany, starting July 24.

About 60,000 American visitors arrive in Montreal each year via the Adirondack line, according to Tourisme Montréal.
  by Railjunkie

To which rumor has CP held the wye and siding in Saratoga ransom for 250k for "track work'. The train will run on AMT 69/68 times into and out of Saratoga. Great for track season. After that we could see a resumption of service back to Montreal in the fall possibly.
  by cle

Saratoga could likely support a few more services extended from Albany. It's a great weekend trip from NYC, races or otherwise. Gives Schenectady a much more frequent service south also.

Ideally a second daily service to Plattsburgh could work (and turn) also.
  by electricron

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:34 pm Mr. MACTRAXX, need we have another Amtrak funded MOW repairs for a "one a day"? Wasn't Kansas and New Mexico enough with the Chief?
Secondly, there will be no Congresscritter (and Boy Scouts) coming to the rescue as there were with the Chief. Uh, a slight little matter of jurisdiction to address.
Ther last time I looked at the borders of the USA, Kansas and Colorado are in the USA, Quebec is not.
I do not expect taxpayers from the other 49 states than New York will kindly look at the FRA spending cash to CN to rebuild and refurbish tracks in Quebec.
  by BandA

I assume service to Montreal is attractive to both Americans & Canadians, approximately equally.