• Adirondack Suspended (Just like that its gone)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by west point

eolesen wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:40 am I'd imagine they know the condition of their track well enough to know when and where to be concerned about heat kinks.
Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
You think so? axel count cars. ! mile delays at Battle creek. unusual dispatching on CNO route. multiple delays CHI - Joliet. Always something by CN. Never same thing to prevent establishing a pattern.
  by Railjunkie

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:15 am Possibly I noted this earlier, but in order to maintain the "two a day mini-corridor" (with Ethan Allen), couldn't the State have considered continuing to Ft. Edward?

That being an interchange between the D&H and the Rutland RR, there must be a means to turn an engine there.
Nothing in Ft Edward. Whitehall was the interchange for the Rutland. At one time there was a major yard and engine servicing facility with a turntable as steam engines with certain drivers and later 6 axle diesels were not allowed past Whitehall. Its all gone now been gone since I was a kid. The only wye is in Saratoga and that generally takes an act of congress to have CP say its ok for Amtrak to use. I've been on it twice during racing season when Amtrak ran a Saratoga Special. The only other spot would be where the freight main and the Canadian main split at CPC24 if memory serves and Amtrak crews are not qualified on two legs of such.
  by Jeff Smith

I say we invade Canada and annex Montreal! Off-topic? Bad Jefe!

This suspension really does irk me. Is this foreshadowing of a “Sunset East”? This really is a short stretch of track and if CN really wants rid of it it seems that there is an opportunity for an agreement to be reached. Hochul should be all over this.
  by NH2060

Railjunkie wrote:The only wye is in Saratoga and that generally takes an act of congress to have CP say its ok for Amtrak to use.
CPKC* :( One step closer to the “Atlas Shrugged” rail network.
Jeff Smith wrote:I say we invade Canada and annex Montreal! Off-topic? Bad Jefe!

This suspension really does irk me. Is this foreshadowing of a “Sunset East”? This really is a short stretch of track and if CN really wants rid of it it seems that there is an opportunity for an agreement to be reached. Hochul should be all over this.
Well Quebec could have been the 14th colony in 1776 :wink:

Hochul doing anything reasonable sounds like a pipe dream.

Would there be any legal issue in preventing Amtrak from outright purchasing the stretch of ROW from CN even though it’s in a foreign country? The company’s trains do use it from an originating point within the United States. Or would Amtrak have to own the ROW from just south of the border within the US in order for any transfer of ownership to be legally doable?

Let’s hope this doesn’t turn out to be like the unexpected “last train” on the Upper Harlem in 1972…
  by Jeff Smith

NH2060 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:07 am Let’s hope this doesn’t turn out to be like the unexpected “last train” on the Upper Harlem in 1972…
A mistake that haunts to this day.

It’s unfortunate that Amtrak can’t employ the regulatory hammer 🔨 on CN that they did with Pan Am.

Does the act which created the NPRC prohibit ownership of foreign ROW? I think that is the question. They do operate over it after all. Maybe VIA needs to get involved and switch crews at RP as they do with the Maple Leaf? I’m unaware of any impact the difference makes.
  by Railjunkie

Jeff Smith wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:29 am I say we invade Canada and annex Montreal! Off-topic? Bad Jefe!

Nah let them have their smoked meat and La Fin Du Monde. If we annex Montreal that means the Canadians might win a Cup but I digress. So far nothing from Hochul, we still have yet to get back our full complement of trains. Guess she is too busy figuring out new and improved ways to get more of New Yorkers $$$
  by eolesen

Something tells me the State and Hochul have little to no interest in doing anything north of Albany.Image

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

by Greg Moore

One sad note, the local news station I watch reported this with the chyron "Amtrak service suspended north of Albany" which made it sound like no other trains are going north.

That said, this really is an annoying development. I was actually starting to seriously make plans to visit Montreal via this since I had the time and have wanted to do this.
  by dgvrengineer

Is it not possible to use CPKC all the way to Montreal? There must be a way to switch back to CN somewhere near the Central station.
  by ExCon90

As to the legality of Amtrak's purchasing the track in question, is there any indication that the Canadian government would object to its acquisition by Amtrak? (It seems they wouldn't have firm ground to stand on considering that Canadian railroads reach New Orleans and the Mexican border; nevertheless, there might be political problems up there.)
  by R36 Combine Coach

ExCon90 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:42 pm As to the legality of Amtrak's purchasing the track in question, is there any indication that the Canadian government would object to its acquisition by Amtrak?
I don't see issues of a quasi-federal agency of the U.S. owning trackage in Canada. The U.S. government owns or leases many embassies and consular facilities abroad, for example.

And an agency of the State of New Jersey (NJT) owns trackage, a station (Suffern) and two yards in NY State, and possibly owns Morrisville as well.
  by ExCon90

R36 Combine Coach wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:52 pm
ExCon90 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:42 pm As to the legality of Amtrak's purchasing the track in question, is there any indication that the Canadian government would object to its acquisition by Amtrak?
I don't see issues of a quasi-federal agency of the U.S. owning trackage in Canada. The U.S. government owns or leases many embassies and consular facilities abroad, for example.

And an agency of the State of New Jersey (NJT) owns trackage, a station (Suffern) and two yards in NY State, and possibly owns Morrisville as well.
True, but as I recall there was some political back-and-forth at the time about New Jersey spending money for improvements in Pennsylvania before they got it settled. Politicians have their own view of the world.
  by Mackensen

dgvrengineer wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:41 pm Is it not possible to use CPKC all the way to Montreal? There must be a way to switch back to CN somewhere near the Central station.
The geometry is all wrong. The CPKC Lacolle Subdivision (ex-Naperville Junction Railway) turns northwest and connects with the CPKC Adirondack Subdivision at Delson. I think there was once a connection with the Massena Spur there, but no longer.
  by Railjunkie

dgvrengineer wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:41 pm Is it not possible to use CPKC all the way to Montreal? There must be a way to switch back to CN somewhere near the Central station.
There is, its called Windsor station. BUT it is nothing more than a commuter stop now. There are no facilities and no way to turn the train. As for connecting to CN if it is a case of not wanting us on a lightly used subdivision there is no way they are going to want us on the Montreal sub to "Cape" if I remember correctly. It is THE main CN through fare into and out of Montreal. Its busy always has been, when I was going up there in the greys we spent plenty of time waiting on some long slow CN freight trains coming off Victoria Bridge to clear so we could either get in or out of the VIA MMC.
  by Ken W2KB

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 6:34 pm Mr. MACTRAXX, need we have another Amtrak funded MOW repairs for a "one a day"? Wasn't Kansas and New Mexico enough with the Chief?
There is also the issue as to ROW maintenance including labor falling within Canadian law and regulations which may differ somewhat from US law and regulations. Compliance and record keeping may add considerable annual expense.