• Delaware and Raritan River Railroad-General Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by JohnFromJersey

CharlieL wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:49 pm There are stacks of new ties at both Yellowbrook and 524, So I guess that's the next stretch. Ought to be done just in time for Yellowbrook-Fairfield to be started.
I won't be shocked if they have another contracting entity work on Fairfield - Yellowbrook while they do whatever they are doing at 524
  by JohnFromJersey

As others have said, they are probably doing this weird split of Fairfield - Yellowbrook and everything else due to funding. Yellowbrook - Fairfield is ~2 miles as others have said here, and each phase is for 2.5 miles, as others have also said.

Based on the contract that C&D put out, they want people to apply for this job by the end of April, and have the Yellowbrook-Fairfield job done by the end of July. If Railroad Construction gets the contract, I could see them getting another team of workers to do Fairfield-Yellowbrook while these guys do what appears to be 524-Yellowbrook and whatever else. I assume they are just waiting for the check from the state to clear
  by JohnFromJersey

It seems like C&D wants to get this entire thing done by July 31 of this year. The turnout project document says they want it done by July 31, and the document that needed contractors for Fairfield-Yellowbrook said they want it done by July 31.
  by Bracdude181

They can get it done by then but I doubt that they will, not without a huge pace increase.

Wondering if we will soon see RFPs for track installation on the clearing near Marl Road. A friend mentioned there’s been a lot of construction markings in the area there…
  by JohnFromJersey

If they have another company or two doing the tracks, or Railroad Construction can get more teams out there, then they could get it done by July 31. Having a single team work on each portion of the line one at a time isn't going to cut it for getting to July 31
  by pumpers

No new connection to the Southern Division, heading compass southbound, on this project!

Also, on the figure on page 1, note the hand-drawn guy wires from a pole interfering with the old track ROW. towards the old crossing (and in the path of a possible future southbound connection to the Southern).
  by CharlieL

They started physical work Jan. 17. So in a little less than 3 months, they have cleaned brush the entire length, and prepared roadbed and laid track on about 1-1/2 miles. They're doing OK.
If railroad Construction or whoever gets the next contract had crews and equipment laying around, I'm sure they would put them to work.
Haven't seen anything on work between Southard Ave and the existing southern yet.

End of summer is 5 months away. They could do that.
  by JohnFromJersey

Railroad Construction is a fairly large company IIRC. I'm sure they have more than enough guys to put to work if needed
  by BattleshipNJ

pumpers wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:17 pm No new connection to the Southern Division, heading compass southbound, on this project!
Not in this RFP no, but someone posted a different RFP document awhile back that had a graphic with all the anticipated segments to be getting contracted out, and a compass southbound leg was one of them.
  by Forest3670

Yesterday's work on the railroad at Rt524 \Adelphia Farmingdale Rd. Looks like they started at 524 and are working back towards Yellowbrook Rd.