Railroad Forums 

• Assitant Condr Jax Florida

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1590233  by SaltyDingo

Anyone familiar with working in the Jacksonville Crew Base in florida?

I'm currently an Engineer for the Long Island Railroad, great job, but want to get the hell out of NY. Amtrak called me for the physical portion, emailed me rather, and set me up with an appointment this week.

As I have a great job already, I am trying to weigh the pros and cons.

I'm plenty familiar with how an extra board works as an engineer (we have over 400 different runs on any given day) but at at a terminal like Jax, where I only see 8 trains a day that run through the terminal, how many actual jobs can you even fall for off the extra board? I see silver meteor, silver star, auto train, and I'll assume some yard jobs. How many crew assignments are there? To me, that's like 4 jobs a day out of the crew base.

Can they call you out for jobs outside of Jacksonville and make you report to Savannah or Tampa or Miami? I assume there must be a 2 or 3 hr call out time.

Is there an extra list pick list the preceding day off a scratch sheet or is is it always hang by phone?

How long at a crew base like this where there is limited service is an employee usually forced on the extra board?

What happens if I move down there and get bumped out as the low man on the roster with no one one at the crew base below me to bump? Shit out of luck?

How long can an already qualified engineer/conductor expect to be an ac before they will allow me to qualify as a conductor?

Thanks in advance.