Railroad Forums 

• EP-2's and 3' And Pat's Livery

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1576346  by Gilbert B Norman

Discussion at at Amtrak Forum topic, that I think best be shared over here:
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:00 pm Although this photo is of a model, it best shows the "pans" on all NH passenger locomotives operating into GCT:

https://www.editionlan.ch/images/produc ... es/EP2.jpg

Why the modeler chose to "McGinnisize" this locomotive never designed for that livery escapes me. Why the New Haven chose to get involved with that image do over that, first, was never more than "half baked" and what Pat spent on paint would have been better spent on soap and water - and maintenance to keep more of the equipment roadworthy!!!
Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:00 pm
ExCon90 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:09 pm Mr. Norman, that is a ghastly image. We may be thankful that it was never seen in real life. (I would rather have seen an FL9 in Hunter Green with gold pinstripes -- too late now even for MN to do a heritage unit that way.)
Unfortunately, two such EP-2 units, one being #322, ended up so liveried. Adding insult to injury, so was one EP-3.

Fortunately, Pat never got his paintbrushes near any EP-4. Of course by then, some EMD salesman "don't know or ask how" convinced him that the only good electric locomotive is a scrapped electric locomotive.
ExCon90 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:09 pm Mr. Norman, that is a ghastly image. We may be thankful that it was never seen in real life. (I would rather have seen an FL9 in Hunter Green with gold pinstripes -- too late now even for MN to do a heritage unit that way.)

A friend has informed me that, contrary to my earlier post, he saw at least one EP3 in that scheme. Sooner him than me ...
Within the Frattasio book "New Haven Railroad in the McGinnis Era", there appears a drawing of how an EP-5 would have been delivered in the traditional Hunter Green livery. Those engines were ordered by Bucky before Pat and his gang "ran 'em off the property".

Again, and my thought, soap and water was more needed than "puff and paint".