• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Bracdude181

@R&DB I’ve never really been able to figure that out. Conrail has a repair shop in Oak Island that they don’t use for anything except for certain inspections.

For CSX, engines in North Jersey go to Selkirk for FRA 90 day inspections and presumably to be repaired if they suffer a major failure. NS probably does the same in Altoona.

Another trend I’ve noticed is that North Jersey doesn’t get new power anymore. They keep the same engines and rotate them around. This would be fine if so many of the engines weren’t terrible! Meanwhile, South Jersey gets new engines every so often, and many of them are in far better shape mechanically. South Jersey also has a big repair shop and they’ve actually rebuilt engines for railroads other than NS and CSX there.
  by Bracdude181

For anyone wondering about an SA31 to Lakewood today, the best way to know if it’s coming is to listen to Coast Line Dispatch on a scanner. If you don’t have a scanner or otherwise can’t pick up the dispatch frequency, use this website:

https://m.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/22265

If they got their power problems sorted they will run today or this weekend.
  by Bracdude181

Conrail PR-06 calling Coast Line with permission to open up somewhere and head west on Track 1. Is that the Chemical Plant job on the Coast Line or are they filling in for SA31 today??
  by trainster78

Cutters siding in Woodbridge off of track 1. Normal for them to go up there once or twice a week.
  by jdh823

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:04 pm Conrail PR-06 calling Coast Line with permission to open up somewhere and head west on Track 1. Is that the Chemical Plant job on the Coast Line or are they filling in for SA31 today??
No...theyre going to CUTTERS siding
  by Bracdude181

@trainster78 and jdh823 Thank you both for the info. I’m listening to Coast Line Dispatch and I heard PR-06 which to my knowledge until now did not work that chemical plant. Still waiting for SA31 or whoever’s taking the train to call in at CP WILLIAM, provided they even run today.
  by trainster78

The 31 is doing Dayton today with CSX GP40-2 4452.
  by Bracdude181

Oh joy. 4452 is back. Ugh.
  by GSC

About 2:10 pm, I heard something about "locked and lined" but didn't catch where it was. Thanks for posting the website link to the radio frequency.
  by Matt Johnson

The TGIV maintenance vehicle is out and about on the Coast Line today.
  by Bracdude181

@GSC You’re welcome.
  by Bracdude181

Well, due to the now highly unlikely chances of a run today, (I’m sure Woodhaven enjoys this customer service!) here’s what we can probably expect for tomorrow.

Most likely an SA91 or SA93 crew will sign in at Browns around 8AM tomorrow or Sunday, (Probably tomorrow due to the weather forecast/the threat of yet another complaint from Woodhaven) then call in to Coast Line Dispatch around 10. There’s no guarantee that this will happen, but it’s usually what happens for weekend extras to Lakewood.
  by trainfann101

Source? Anything can happen...it doesn’t haveto be tomorrow...
  by Bracdude181

No source and not guaranteeing a run tomorrow. I was just saying that is what normally happens when there’s a weekend run. Conrail could throw a curveball again and decide not to this weekend too for all we know!
  by RailsEast

"Weather forecast"? WTF does the weather (other than a large snowfall or hurricane) have to do with this or any other railroad?

"The threat of yet another complaint from Woodhaven" Unless you can substantiate this with written documentation, you are out of line, sir.

"No source and no guarantee". Ok, thanks.....