• CR on the Southern Secondary

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by Bracdude181

@CR7876 Not sure why they’d need a loop at County Yard, but I do remember a mention about fixing the abandoned yards there to use as emergency storage for NJT equipment during major landfalling hurricanes. (Sandy made them learn that lesson the hard way)

Would be nice to know what lines are part of this. Perhaps the Southern Secondary south of Clayton Sand is part of it? In the highly unlikely event that they open that for passenger rail I’m assuming this would mean Conrail has the freight rights?
  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:30 pm @CR7876 Not sure why they’d need a loop at County Yard, but I do remember a mention about fixing the abandoned yards there to use as emergency storage for NJT equipment during major landfalling hurricanes. (Sandy made them learn that lesson the hard way)

Would be nice to know what lines are part of this. Perhaps the Southern Secondary south of Clayton Sand is part of it? In the highly unlikely event that they open that for passenger rail I’m assuming this would mean Conrail has the freight rights?
The loop will better serve NJT and AMTK . Currently trains coming into and out of Jersey Ave station on the Millstone have to cross over the entire railroad to go North, with the loop track and a relocated Jersey Ave station will allow the trains to pass over the NEC and onto the Northbound side with out crossing over.

I can't speak to exactly which lines of road are part of this agreement. Remember this agreement is originally from 1984, when NJT was carved out of Conrail, so of course Conrail gave itself freight rights over lines of road they were transferring to NJT.

In Regards to the Southern. The Southern is listed as NJT owned, Conrail Freight service only From 38.1 to 63.0. Meaning NJT's ownership ends at 63.0. In 1985 CR sold MP 66.0 to MP 79.0 to Clayton Sand. Probably around the same time 79.0 to aprox 100.0 was abandoned and came to be owned by NJDot. As far as I can tell no railroad holds any freight rights on this section anymore.
  by Bracdude181

@CR7876 Another thing it mentions is that Conrail has a permanent, but transferable, freight easement right on NJT owned lines. The wording has me confused. Does that mean someone else can claim the freight rights on NJT owned lines from Conrail or not?
  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote:@CR7876 Another thing it mentions is that Conrail has a permanent, but transferable, freight easement right on NJT owned lines. The wording has me confused. Does that mean someone else can claim the freight rights on NJT owned lines from Conrail or not?
" permanent, perpetual, exclusive, transferable, and irrevocable easement to operate freight service on the Line."

Exclusive would mean Conrail and only Conrail.
Transferable in this case meaning CR can transfer the Permanent, Perpetual, and Exclusive freight rights to someone else.
Irrevocable in this case would mean NJT could not remove CR as the freight operator.

I think that back in 2018 NJT/CR thought that they would need STB authority to change ownership of the Delco and in doing so gave us a bit of a window into the Agreement.
  by CNJSouDivFan

Just got back from Germany and am in the area! Any idea what time we can expect her through Red Bank?

Sean
  by Tanker1497

Only a guess but 4:00 would be good time and 4:30 would be close! Check back as it will get posted before it gets to RB
  by Bracdude181

SA31 out of Browns with 4432 leading and 4451 trailing. Giant AOKX boxcar behind the engine which is likely for Extech.

9 cars for Woodhaven (if the boxcar is for Extech)

Permission on Church 3:17 PM

Permission to open up at Church Running 3:28 PM
Edit: The AOKX car is not for Extech so we have 10 for Woodhaven today.

Over the Navesink River Bridge at 4:15 PM

Clear of bank interlocking on the Southern Secondary 4:20 PM

Approaching Downtown Farmingdale 8:04 PM

Turning the train around at Woodhaven at 10:28 PM
Last edited by nomis on Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: O/S cleaning
  by Tanker1497

31 with 10 cars permission on to coast line. 3:30 in the PM
  by NJTMonmouthCoastline

Happy Birthday to Conrail. 45 years
  by Tanker1497

Cleared onto the rusty rails at 4:21 in the PM
  by RailsEast

Through Eatontown at 4:40 in the pm.
Hey, Sean, good to see you're home, how's the military treating you??
Chris
  by NJTMonmouthCoastline

Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:28 pm Turning the train around at Woodhaven at 10:28 PM
Did 31/38 go back up last night?
  by CR7876

NJTMonmouthCoastline wrote:
Bracdude181 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:28 pm Turning the train around at Woodhaven at 10:28 PM
Did 31/38 go back up last night?
yes.
  by Bracdude181

@NJTMonmouthCoastLine Yea they went back. Forgot to mention that SA38 helped out with turning the train around then took over the train once SA31 left. Didn’t stick around to watch them drill though.
  by JohnFromJersey

I've noticed that over the last year, we've stopped seeing cars for other clients on the Southern (due to NJT restrictions), and Woodhaven's loads have been getting smaller.