• Derelict Stations (Former, Current, or Future Amtrak)

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by gokeefe

Found an interesting historical writeup of railroad stations in Gary, IN.

It appears that Gary Union Station had service right up until A-Day (B&O and NYC/PC). Interesting that the press was all wrong about service dates but not surprising to a certain extent.
  by Noel Weaver

The old Amtrak station in Delray Beach, Florida is still there but Amtrak moved to the Tri-Rail station quite some time ago. The building looks kind of sad and has not been used probably since Amtrak moved to Tri-Rail.
I doubt if it would be practical for Amtrak to restore and use it again at this point.\
Noel Weaver
  by Steve B

gokeefe wrote:Agreed. If it's fully occupied and in service it's not a derelict. Is the upstairs passenger lounge in use?
You can reserve it for weddings, etc. Kind of sad that so often in the remaining larger stations, Amtrak passengers are shoehorned into a small room off to the side, but there's too much revenue to be had from other uses of the original waiting room. http://www.toledoport.org/services/trai ... on-rental/
  by mtuandrew

Steve B wrote:Kind of sad that so often in the remaining larger stations, Amtrak passengers are shoehorned into a small room off to the side, but there's too much revenue to be had from other uses of the original waiting room.
Indeed. I was especially dismayed by this at KCUS, and I’m glad SPUD allocates much more space to its passengers.

Speaking of, Amtrak’s St. Paul Midway Station isn’t derelict, but is unoccupied save for AMTK crews.
  by Backshophoss

So they turned Midway into a crew base,did the same thing here in ABQ When the ticket office moved in with Greyhound after the
phase II of the Alvarado complex was built.
What was the "old Indian curio bldg" built by ATSF lives on as the Amtrak crew base,Express/baggage facility
  by R36 Combine Coach

Backshophoss wrote:So they turned Midway into a crew base,did the same thing here in ABQ When the ticket office moved in with Greyhound after the
phase II of the Alvarado complex was built.
St. Louis now has the 2004 station ("Amshack II") as a crew facility after Gateway Intermodal Terminal opened in 2008. The 1978 station (Amshack I) was demolished.
  by gokeefe

Noel Weaver wrote:The old Amtrak station in Delray Beach, Florida is still there but Amtrak moved to the Tri-Rail station quite some time ago. The building looks kind of sad and has not been used probably since Amtrak moved to Tri-Rail.
I doubt if it would be practical for Amtrak to restore and use it again at this point.\
Noel Weaver
No question Delray Beach Seaboard Station is a derelict and once had Amtrak service. Unfortunately I suspect it would take an extraordinary turn of events for this station to ever return to service.
  by R36 Combine Coach

North Philadelphia was vacant for some years and now is a discount bargain outlet. Given how rough the area is, impressed that it is in very good shape.
  by Backshophoss

Delray was turned into a "Public Safety Training Center" by the town, listed on the national register of historical places.
  by Kilo Echo

Although it may never see service as a train depot again, the old Holyoke, Mass. station is worthy of restoration. This venerable edifice, built in 1883-1885 to the design of Henry Hobson Richardson, has been vacant for years and is endangered. Two other Richardson stations in the Bay State—Framingham and nearby Palmer—have been restored and now serve as dining depots. Is such a restauration practicable in a struggling city like Holyoke?

Historic Buildings of Massachusetts: Old Holyoke Railroad Station (1883)
  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

Does anyone know about any Amtrak 1970s era new design stations that were built along defunct
routes that still stand and have another use today?

My example is Canton, Ohio on the former Broadway Limited route which looks now to have been
turned into a local convenience store and is still in use. The platform and tracks there look to be
largely intact from satellite map overviews of the area.

An honorable mention goes to Catlettsburg, Kentucky Tri State Station which became a CSX local
office facility for a nearby maintenance yard which now may be vacant as previously noted.

What is good to see in these two instances is that another use was found for these buildings
after Amtrak service ended instead of them being abandoned. For example Amtrak only used
the Canton, Ohio building for around 12 years (1978-1990 I believe it was) in total.

MACTRAXX
  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Mactraxx, Poinciana, FL comes to mind.

Here was built an Amshack that was to be the terminal for Amtrak's 1972 vintage Indianapolis-Poinciana Auto-Trak service, which was simply an auto carrier attached to the Floridian. They offered "guinea pig" employees a week in Florida. But Amtrak fast realized that they were damaging more employee private vehicles than not. They simply learned "on the quick" they lacked the institutional expertise that EKG brought to his Auto-Train, and said "forget it". For a while, it was a station stop for the West Coast trains, but was discontinued by November 1977, when I "rode right by it".

By 1983, I recall looking for artifacts, and "found a couple", but looking at Mr. Google today, the location has now been redeveloped.
  by gokeefe

Interesting to see that Holyoke made it into the mid-1960's as a station. I could see a very strong case for restoration indeed if the current new platform is assumed to have a 20-30 year service life and ridership starts to increase with all of the new service.
  by Roadgeek Adam

gokeefe wrote:
Noel Weaver wrote:The old Amtrak station in Delray Beach, Florida is still there but Amtrak moved to the Tri-Rail station quite some time ago. The building looks kind of sad and has not been used probably since Amtrak moved to Tri-Rail.
Noel Weaver
No question Delray Beach Seaboard Station is a derelict and once had Amtrak service. Unfortunately I suspect it would take an extraordinary turn of events for this station to ever return to service.
When I was there in June, it's been serving as a lot for something. Mostly the platform is derelict. The old ALR station seemed like it's had some TLC recently.