• M9 and M9A Procurement & Acceptance

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by adamj023

ConstanceR46 wrote:Saw photos of the interiors; told not to share any photos. TL;DR they're pretty similar to the M7s; i think the vestibules are wider and the posters have been replaced with LCD screens.
Interior photos are publically available. This isn’t a trade secret and the cars will be publically accessible by the masses very soon. Even the engineering designs themselves as being for the mass transit authority were publically available. The cars are nicer than the M7 and seem to be a good balance for a modern trainset. It is a good replacement for the M3.
  by Head-end View

Nicer than the M-7's? Would I be correct to assume the M-9 has the same full width cab with blocked cab-door window as the M-7's? If so, really no improvement for us railfans.......
  by PlaneLoverA380

Hello guys, I'm new here. Sorry for my nickname :wink:
So we have 8 in Pueblo at TTCI, and 4 at Hillside. When do you think they will test near Mineola on the main line? I love railfanning Mineola in a club called Railstormers. Kinda sad to see the M3s go... :(
  by ship-ahoy

Got a exterior photo by Hillside and not a very good one of the interior - very M7 like - looks like more closet space for equipment
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by PlaneLoverA380

I got a photo of the interior and cab from Kawasaki with the pilot cars. Not my photo. Can't wait to railfan these with my friends! Will post some pics of the testing from all our cams!

Railstormers is a private group going on YouTube with some great clips!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Head-end View

Cab interior looks almost identical to an M-7. :-)
  by DutchRailnut

entire car pretty much is , a few differences and few upgrades and a new manufacturers plate, kawasaki vs bombardier
  by PlaneLoverA380

How far we've come:
Last edited by PlaneLoverA380 on Sat May 05, 2018 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by PlaneLoverA380

And the current:
  by Head-end View

I like the raw comparison of the MP-41 photo (first electric MU LIRR car) and the M-9 of today. What a difference a hundred years makes. :-D
  by PlaneLoverA380

9008 was spotted in Hillside. Drew a digital rendition of the car in service. In Hicksville, going to Penn.
  by adamj023

Shouldn’t be long till we see these testing on LIRR tracks and additional trainsets being delivered. As ESA looks to be on track, they are going to need quick deliveries on a large volume of these M9 trainsets. I presume most of the real world tests were done in Colorado and the LIRR tests hopefully will go quickly and there shouldn’t be real issues. M7 had the tilting issues after cars first came out when tests were completed which was subsequently resolved. M9 testing looks to be more thorough.

Kawasaki is superior to Bombardier as a manufacturer for transportation. LIRR would have been in a huge bind if they chose Bombardier this time around considering their needs.