• M9 and M9A Procurement & Acceptance

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by Jeff Smith

adamj023 wrote:...As ESA looks to be on track, they are going to need quick deliveries on a large volume of these M9 trainsets. ...
ESA is not opening until 2022, in 4 years. I don't think they need them "quick". The priority right now is replacing M3's. After the initial order of 9's come the 9a's, so designated due to funding source IIRC. Yes, they'll need them for ESA. But not "quick".
  by amtrakhogger

2 M9’s spotted on President’s St. branch in Baltimore (near NS Bayview Yard) this morning 5/14.
  by LINYARailfan

At approximately what time will this set be arriving on the property via fresh pond? I may try to see them arriving on the property at Jamaica on the move to Hillside if it is after the evening rush hour or on a weekend.
  by amtrakhogger

I don’t know the info on the routing or time frame, but I would guess Amtrak may be
Involved in the delivery (because of the cars presence on NS rails.)
  by gregorygrice

+CSX to Selkirk

+Q701 Selkirk to Oak Point

+Y-job from Oak Point to Fresh Pond

+NYAR accepts them and stores them until LIRR picks them up.
  by LINYARailfan

At approximately what time does the Q701 leave Selkirk on the move (ie is it a daytime move or is it conducted under darkness?)Oak Point and what are the chances of seeing it on the move by Yankees E. 153rd street Metro North station?
  by DutchRailnut

Amtrak is not involved in moves, they can only forward their own cars, these M-9's will all be moved by freight carriers.
  by gregorygrice

LINYARailfan wrote:At approximately what time does the Q701 leave Selkirk on the move (ie is it a daytime move or is it conducted under darkness?)Oak Point and what are the chances of seeing it on the move by Yankees E. 153rd street Metro North station?
Q701 does not run past Yankees E. 153rd. CSX runs at night on Metro North unless they outlaw and are reviewed by a day crew.
  by Backshophoss

Don't those cars make a "pit stop" at the "factory" shop in Yonkers before winding up on LIRR?
  by trainbrain

NJT had their Multilevel 2's delivered by Amtrak. They desperately needed them due to Sandy damaged equipment and it was faster than using freight carriers. They used back to back P42's above Albany and back to back P32ACDM's below Albany to get into Penn. Basically, Amtrak will deliver other agencies' equipment, but it is probably much more expensive as they had to pay for a special move. The M9's aren't nearly as time sensitive and it's probably much cheaper to let freight carriers handle it.
  by trainspot

9013 & mate thru Bound Brook,NJ this morning. Did the cars from Pueblo arrive yet?
  by gregorygrice

trainspot wrote:9013 & mate thru Bound Brook,NJ this morning. Did the cars from Pueblo arrive yet?
Nope
  by PlaneLoverA380

Saw an M9 sitting on a far south track passing thru Hillside. Couldn't get a pic, didn't have my camera. But 2 M3s were sent to the Suffolk Fire Dept. for training.