• Downeaster Trackwork & Upgrades

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by KSmitty

BostonUrbEx wrote:I'm skeptical the correct number was called. Wouldn't have hurt to try calling again, either.
The number is posted at every crossing now on those little blue signs. No real question which number to call anymore.
  by BostonUrbEx

I was implying a misdial. Still have to enter the number correctly on your phone.
  by Dick H

#690 was 34 minutes late into Boston due to a broken rail at Wells.
#892 was 64 minutes late into Boston due to the above broken rail
and another broken rail at Old Orchard. PAR did a good of "walking"
the trains over the breaks and making prompt repairs on a frigid
Saturday AM.
  by gokeefe

I'm not surprised by the broken rails. It got very cold very quickly up here. Good to hear Pan Am was on it.
  by Z31SPL

it was the correct # (it came off the sign and I tried twice) and instead of going to a voice mail it was asking me for an access code. Either way, at least I tried.
  by neman2

There is a "crossing number" on the sign in addition to the phone number perhaps they want you to enter that?
Here is the FRA website link that explains these signs and how the system works.

https://www.fra.dot.gov/Page/P0894" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
  by swist

I ride the DE twice a week and the last couple of weeks, the train has been routed onto the 30mph #2 track from just South of the Rigby yard to the end of the double track in Scarboro Marsh. There has never been another train on the #1 track, nor any workers/construction that I can see. Anybody know what's going on? It's not a big deal but the DE doesn't need to lose what little 79MPH trackage it has.
  by BostonUrbEx

Purely a guess, but there might be a temporary speed restriction on the No.1 track that is significant enough that running via the No.2 track is actually faster.
  by Rockingham Racer

Yes. It's probably one of those famous PAR 10 MPH restrictions.
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
  by newpylong

It's sad how long they last. When we used to get the CSX, CP, etc speed sheets their 10s wouldn't last more a day, sometimes hours. I hope Amtrak/NNEPRA reduces their payment for every minute caused by the them.
  by swist

No it's 30mph. And to be more precise it's not quite all the way (north) to Rigby, there is a crossover where the train retakes the #1 track (which doesn't help much because the #1 track speed drops to 45 halfway up Rigby).
  by johnpbarlow

I also posted this on the Downeaster thread in the Amtrak forum:

As of Saturday 4/28/18, on the NS at Binghamton, there was an eb revenue welded rail train 60Q (NS welded rail work train would be in the 9xx symbol range) comprised of cars with CWRX reporting marks. A poster says the train is headed for Maine Central so perhaps this is a rail for the new Royal Junction siding?

Facebook link to the posting:
https://www.facebook.com/tom.bomb.33/vi ... ater&ifg=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
  by Dick H

There was a broken rail at Dover Saturday 4/28 in the evening between CPF=243 and CPF-244,
Between that and freight congestion, DE #697 was two hours and fifty-five minutes late into
Portland, arriving at 1:00AM. Combined with the Red Sox loss, there must have been many
unhappy campers arriving in Portland. PAR is still working on the Dover issue Sunday AM,
so there could be additional delays today.
  by pnolette

johnpbarlow wrote:I also posted this on the Downeaster thread in the Amtrak forum:

As of Saturday 4/28/18, on the NS at Binghamton, there was an eb revenue welded rail train 60Q (NS welded rail work train would be in the 9xx symbol range) comprised of cars with CWRX reporting marks. A poster says the train is headed for Maine Central so perhaps this is a rail for the new Royal Junction siding?

Facebook link to the posting:
https://www.facebook.com/tom.bomb.33/vi ... ater&ifg=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The rail is already there.its been there for a few years now..
  by NHV 669

link isn't working anyhow. I'm assuming this is from a private post?