• Downeaster Trackwork & Upgrades

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by gokeefe

The switch is already there. It's being converted from a hand throw (I think) to a power switch.
  by Rockingham Racer

Perhaps I missed it, but I don't know which switch is being talked about. Could you give us a little more info as to its location?
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
  by newpylong

CS to East end of the facility isn't it?
  by gokeefe

Correct.
  by KSmitty

newpylong wrote:We'll see if that named Control Point makes it into the time table...
I'm not sure if this is what you were getting at, but the new "CP-Cemetery" will be an anomaly for two reasons.
-It's to be the only named interlocking outside of the T territory.
-And unless the omission of a third letter was a typo, "CP-Cemetery" will be the only "CP" without a line-designating suffix (F/L/N/etc.).
Kind of an interesting diversion from past practice, and makes me wonder if it will simply be called "CPF-189" in the paperwork. Or maybe oodles of federal & state dollars buys 4.11 miles of second track AND the right to name the new control point?
  by gokeefe

What is the cemetery? I've looked and looked and can't find one anywhere near the siding or junction.

Must be the only place in the old New England countryside without a family plot in every other backyard.
  by newpylong

Of course they won't pay for it.
  by gokeefe

Well ... Quiet zones are a local responsibility. If they want them they're going to have to pay for it. That being said it is now very clear that Alternative Safety Measures such as raised medians are not only acceptable (and in use on the Downeaster corridor) but far cheaper than four quadrant gates.
  by artman

David FInk Jr. relayed at TRNE annual meeting that PAR has 15,000 ties ready to towards replacement from Wells downstream to Exeter-ish. Said will replace next year Oct-Nov time frame. Apologized for screw-up last year on tie replacement debacle. Said it was his idea and he blew. Would not repeat it again.
  by gokeefe

Per the latest information Royal Siding earthwork is nearly complete and ties are expected to arrive in March. Tie project anticipated for this fall will cover Wells to Dover. Rockingham Siding project has been funded as well as the platform expansion at Durham.
  by Rockingham Racer

Thanks for the update!
  by gokeefe

One other item I almost forgot ... both tracks are back in service on then Merrimack River bridge in Haverhill and will remain so at least until March when the other track will be worked on.
  by flyingfox10

They already took the other track out and painted tje bridge. What do they need to take it back out for?
  by Trinnau

They didn't finish the other side and had to swap tracks before all the weekend work last year involving the bearings. Plus they only put the panels back on, new welded rail is to be installed in the final condition.
Last edited by MEC407 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting