• Salem Action Alert

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by doublebell

Today an acid was sitting on the tail track off Allen's Lane
John, the guy in the blue car with the wing on back
  by RenegadeMonster

This morning while I was waiting for my Train at Salem Station a freight came though. First time I have seen one come through while waiting on the platform during daylight so it was kind of cool. Especially when standing on the platform.

Normally I just see them waiting on the branch. Or at night when it's dark after I get off my train and I'm in my car waiting to get out the the parking garage when its backed up to the light a freight I can barely make out passes south through Salem Station.
  by doublebell

This afternoon there were two bones and two acids on the trail track off Allen's Lane
  by RenegadeMonster

CSX Locomotive on the Peabody Branch tonight. I got to watch it push the load of 20 or so cars off the Peabody Branch at Salem station and pull it through Salem Station tonight.
  by Trinnau

That's probably one of the former CSX B40-8s that Pan Am recently acquired. Should have been a line through the CSX markings. Pan Am train for sure.
Last edited by MEC407 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
  by RenegadeMonster

Just goggled "CSX B40-8s" and looked at the pictures. It was most definably one of those. I didn't notice any lines through the CSX markings, but then again it was dark out.

Thought it was most likely a leased / borrowed unit Pan Am was using. Didn't know they recently acquired some former CSX B40-8s.
  by Trinnau

This thread has the details. It's a little lengthy but you can probably review the last 5 or so pages.
Last edited by MEC407 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
  by highrail

I am not sure how long they have been out of service, but it looks like the automated crossing protection at Flint Street is not operational. There is a "stop" post sign on either side of the crossing.

Steve
  by doublebell

BO-1 went to Peabody this afternoon.
  by doublebell

At noon today there were two bones and two acids on the tail of Allen's Lane.
  by doublebell

Two bones and two acids still there Thursday noontime.
John, the guy in the blue car with the wing on back/
  by doublebell

BO-1 must have run today. At 1130 there were four acids on the runaround off Bridge Street. At 1400 they were gone.
  by mojobreaqkfast

I live in South Salem and as a result I get a neighborhood newsletter, and noticed something that might be of interest here. Latest newsletter describes a proposal by a developer to tear down the California Olive Oil building, and that the rail spur will be abandoned so the bike path can be extended. This is part of a larger redevelopment the developer is undertaking along Canal Street, including the old Jefferies Bros. furniture building. They've already passed papers on the properties.
  by BostonUrbEx

The Danvers Industrial Track is currently out of service since the noon time tidal surge on Thursday, 1/4. The entire Salem Yard and surrounding area flooded pretty bad. It may be dry now, but was still showing OOS.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

How did downtown Peabody fare this week? Their flooding issues around the canal that runs next to the tracks have long been the stuff of infamy. Peabody too needs major sustained investment on climate change mitigation going forward despite being further inland of Salem Harbor, as storm surge events like this are going to wreak havoc on them with increasing frequency in coming years. The whole several blocks bookending the canal + rail line corridor all the way from one downtown to the downtown are in a uniquely vulnerable spot for flood risk.
Last edited by MEC407 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting