• Amtrak Autumn Express Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Train2009

mspang311 wrote:Any thought on the motive power for the excursion?
Yes, #145, #642 and #156.
  by kitn1mcc

Are they going to leave the electric on the whole time or take it off in Newark

Also dont they a 3rd rail loco for the return into pen
  by electricron

Why if there’s #642 on the train. It can power the train while in Penn Station.
  by SwingMan

The catenary extends onto the Empire Connection the same distance as the third rail, but I have a feeling they'll just go into Penn on diesel mode and shut the engines down upon arrival into the station.
  by JoeG

Anyone have an idea of how early they will open the train for boarding?
  by njtmnrrbuff

I think what will happen for the final approach into NYP is that the locomotives will stop just before the tunnel, and the 642 will provide the power into Penn Station.
  by Backshophoss

642 leads out of NYP,145 and 156 carry the marker. 145 and 156 lead on the river line to Selkirk.
They could add the P32DM's at Selkirk or at CP Castle at the Hudson line jct with the Castleton connector.
Figure on 642 getting dropped off at Newark Penn,Deadhead back to NYP for protect duty,
figure on 145 and 156 deadheading to Alb after handing off to the P32DM's at CP Castle
  by Noel Weaver

The way I see it the motor powers and leads to Newark, change control to power the train from the diesels on the rear then once they change direction on the area of old NK tower change control to the diesels and run north to CP SK. At SK the train pulls west toward the yard to clear the interlocking. After the train clears the interlocking change ends to control the train from the motor, the diesels on the rear doing the work. It really should be quite simple. The train changes direction twice at NK tower and again at SK.

Noel Weaver
  by GirlOnTheTrain

kitn1mcc wrote:Are they going to leave the electric on the whole time or take it off in Newark

Also dont they a 3rd rail loco for the return into pen
They dragged 642 around all day last year.
  by hazmatmess

Don't know how but just got two tickets for tomorrow's train. Should be a fun trip again.
  by John_Perkowski

If you are a facebooker, our erstwhile Admin Jeff has created a limited time closed group for folks doing the Autumn Express. It's a closed group, but Jeff will approve anyone who PMs him here, or asks to join there.

Here's the link
  by hazmatmess

GirlOnTheTrain wrote:
hazmatmess wrote:Don't know how but just got two tickets for tomorrow's train. Should be a fun trip again.
Looking forward to following on the insta...no surprise reacts this year though...for shame ;)
Oh, there's going to be a surprise. TJ (my son) has NO clue. I told him about the train when it was announced and just totally forgot about it. Never spoke about it. So there will be a BIG surprise in Penn Station tomorrow. Just taking NJT there so hopefully he doesn't figure t out. He's smart. LoL
  by Gilbert B Norman

How many times will this train be changing direction of travel?

To my knowledge, only the Keystones at PHL and the Surfliners at LAX are "it" for Amtrak. That albeit, represents a good number of trains, about which considering the infrastructure, nothing is likely ever to be done.

Overseas, changing direction of travel is rather routine and Europeans "don't seem to care". For myself last August on a 150 mile ride, Salzburg to Leoben, AT, there were two direction changes. Fortunately, the car was deserted so I was able to change seats at will to keep forward riding.

However, since this "excursion" has been reported as sold out, and based upon the previous discussion, it appears the seat you get will be the seat you keep.