• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by gokeefe

sicariis wrote:The train set probably isn't big enough, but would love to see a quiet car on the Downeaster.
Utterly impossible at current ridership levels.

(Which is a remarkable state of affairs in of itself) ...
  by markhb

I've linked here before to NNEPRA's HSIPR application for the "Pan Am line improvements," which was rejected at the same time that the Brunswick extension was approved. Unfortunately, the MDOT copy was taken down long ago, but I finally came across one of my old links here to the original, and it turns out that the Wayback Machine had preserved it for the ages! Here's what was proposed (and which, I am guessing, is still in the NNEPRA wishlist), with the goal of shaving 10 minutes off of the POR-BON travel time:

... The goal of the Pan Am Line Program is to apply passenger speed of 79 mph to as many locations as possible and to increase incremental speeds where possible.

"The Pan Am Line Program includes a series of interlocking upgrades, track and tie replacements, curve adjustments, and signal modifications which will ultimately result in a minimum reduction in scheduled Downeaster travel time of 10 minutes along this segment....

"The Pan Am Line Program addresses capacity constraints along this segment as well. Currently, the passing sidings authorized for passenger use in Rockingham, Dover, Wells, Saco and Scarborough are limited to 30 mph. The capacity improvements for passenger service include the installation of the following: Arundel siding, East Kinston (sic) siding, Wells double track extension, and the utilization of the #2 track between CPF-196 and CPF-198 (MHB: Mountain Junction to the oil tank farms, so through the Yard 8 wye and over the Fore River bridge)..."

The application I was able to get also referenced a Preliminary Engineering Materials document which I couldn't find, and which also would spec out the items mentioned in the second paragraph I quoted.
  by gokeefe

I think they are still roughly following the same plan.
  by Hamhock

I can't remember much from that HSIPR application, but didn't PanAm actually pledge a small amount of matching funds? Several hundred thousand dollars, if I recall correctly.
  by markhb

Possibly. I was mainly looking for the "what," not the "who's paying" :) .
  by Dick H

Regarding upgrades on PAR to shave 10 or so minutes off the schedule,
the cost of same would far outweigh the benefits. PAR has always and
continues to add "moderate" speed restrictions, such as 70 MPH to 50 MPh,
60 to 50, etc, which often are not addressed promptly, which often add
10 minutes or so to the schedule. On the plus side, PAR does try to address
10 or 25 MPH restrictions with in a day or two, if possible.

In the long run, keeping all restrictions to a minimum to meet the current
schedule would seem to be the top priority for the immediate future.

While the Downeaster is not one of the LD trains, that currently
are under the gun in DC, the CMAQ funds from DC could very well be on the
line when the FY18 federal budget takes effect on October 1, 2017.
  by gokeefe

Dick H wrote:While the Downeaster is not one of the LD trains, that currently are under the gun in DC, the CMAQ funds from DC could very well be on the line when the FY18 federal budget takes effect on October 1, 2017.
They are not and Congress is fully funding Amtrak's continued operation of all services. I think we are very much in the clear at this point.
  by Cosakita18

Dick H wrote: PAR does try to address
10 or 25 MPH restrictions with in a day or two, if possible.

In the long run, keeping all restrictions to a minimum to meet the current
schedule would seem to be the top priority for the immediate future.
and yet the 10 mph restriction at Forest Ave. (and a few other crossings in Portland) have lingered for months. Any plans to fix those?
  by FCM2829

10 mph restriction at Forest Ave. (and a few other crossings in Portland) have lingered for months. Any plans to fix those?
There's some info on that over at the Pan Am thread under DE trackwork & upgrades. I'm not sure that crossing has seen any major work since the late 1990s single tracking thru woodfords. 6-8 weeks ago it was crawling with MOW guys, with resistance/continuity testers & some heavy equipment. Forest & Vannah are notorious for sticking in the down position esp in March-May. I suspect maybe relay probs or voltage leak between rails b/c the surface is nothing but salty MUD in the spring, and with all the snowmelt that pours down forest, I wouldn't doubt some rot is happening under the rubber ( man what a salesman's song those crossings were). Not an easy crossing to apply a heavy repair due to train and vehicle traffic, by any means.
  by markhb

As a Portland resident, I'm very aware of the impending Woodford's Corner project... but I also note that anything railroad-related in those plans is marked "by others", so MDOT doesn't have anything to do with that actual work. At the same time, if MDOT is going to be tying up traffic anyway, that's a perfect chance to work those crossings (much like they could be doing now on the Woodfords Street crossing as that's down to local traffic only).
  by sicariis

Does anyone remember which southbound trains normally run on Thanksgiving, specifically 680 or 682 (or would it be 690 or 692 due to the holiday)? Thanks.
  by MEC407

That's a good question. I know in the past they've used the weekend schedule (trains in the 690 series) on certain major holidays such as Christmas Day, but Amtrak.com currently shows the full non-weekend train numbers (680-689) on November 23, 2017.

However, I also checked Amtrak.com for December 25, 2017, and they're showing the 680s for that day as well. Maybe they don't update the schedule that far in advance...?
  by gokeefe

Given that the Fall Schedule has yet to be issued I would treat anything from October/November onwards as "subject to change".

As always an email to [email protected] is your best bet.
  by Trinnau

Pretty good bet if the MBTA is running a weekend schedule so will the Downeaster. There are conflicts otherwise.