• Amtrak Downeaster Discussion Thread

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Cowford

The mid day boarding at Portland headed south to Boston was a mob scene.
Mainers rushing off to spend their disposable income on goods and services out of state!
  by gokeefe

Cowford wrote:
The mid day boarding at Portland headed south to Boston was a mob scene.
Mainers rushing off to spend their disposable income on goods and services out of state!
No more or less than has always been going to Fenway. Anything that makes Maine more livable is what truly matters. On that metric the Downeaster is clearly a success.

I doubt you could have pre-leased a 150 unit apartment building in Saco (sold out prior to completion) before 2001.
  by gokeefe

I almost forgot to mention ...

On some trains the cafe in the lower level of the Dome car will be staffed and open for sales.
  by Cowford

I doubt you could have pre-leased a 150 unit apartment building in Saco (sold out prior to completion) before 2001.
I agree. But Downeaster was just one of many, many considerations in the development, and I very much doubt the deciding factor in any rental decision... perhaps you could explain why Heart of Biddeford downtown community doesn't even mention access by the DE on its website?
Last edited by Cowford on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by gokeefe

Cowford wrote:
I agree. But Downeaster was just one of many, many considerations in the developmen, and I very much doubt the deciding factor in any rental decision... perhaps you could explain why Heart of Biddeford downtown community doesn't even mention access by the DE on its website?
I don't know why. But when I met with the owner of the Biddeford side of the mill complex last year he was pretty clear that rail passenger service had made a huge difference (he bought it in the 90s).

Worth noting ... The same company that did the Saco apartments is the one involved in the Dover projects. Chinburg Construction. They have been very successful and they have also been clear that passenger rail service is a primary determining factor in site selection. Hence no projects in Sanford ...

The Portland Children's Museum will be relocating to Thompson's Point. The Children's Museum of New Hampshire in Dover is now at 90,000 annual visitors per year which is a significant increase from their previous totals in Portsmouth. They feel that increase is directly attributable to passenger rail service.
  by Cowford

The Children's Museum of New Hampshire in Dover is now at 90,000 annual visitors per year which is a significant increase from their previous totals in Portsmouth. They feel that increase is directly attributable to passenger rail service.
Well, I didn't want to sound like a broken record regarding the museum, but since you bring it up: Could you please provide a verifiable source on that claim? As I've stated before, Ms Quinn is on record claiming that the museum moved to Dover from Portsmouth BECAUSE of the DE. We all know that's a false claim*. That aside... a few years back, I brought up a couple times the question, "If DE is such a boost to the museum, why isn't DE information even mentioned in their 'visit us' web page?"

7/22/17 update: STILL NO MENTION! https://www.childrens-museum.org/visit/info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

* According to various news articles, the museum moved because they desired to expand and couldn't find a suitable location to do so in Portsmouth. One article about the move on Seacoast Online states that the museum hosted 97,000 visitors in 2008. Has DE actually been responsible for a 7% decline in patronage at the museum???
  by Cowford

On a less controversial note, has anyone recognized the logo of Brick South beer hall at Thompson's Point? Either an homage to a favorite fallen flag in Maine, or an incredible coincidence!
  by markhb

Cowford wrote:On a less controversial note, has anyone recognized the logo of Brick South beer hall at Thompson's Point? Either an homage to a favorite fallen flag in Maine, or an incredible coincidence!
I'm sure it was deliberate; the main site even notes that the buildings were built for the railroad. If you make it back up here, Cowford, you should definitely check out what they've done down there!
  by MEC407

Speaking of logos that are Maine-railroad-inspired and not coincidental:

PDANK Records, a record label owned/operated by Maine-based hip hop artist Spose: https://www.districtlines.com/103760-PD ... reen/spose" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Grime Studios, a band rehearsal space formerly located at Thompson's Point: https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/51 ... OndS8.jpeg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(A couple of years ago I spoke with someone from Grime Studios and he said "Yes, the logo was inspired by our local underachieving railroad.")
  by MEC407

This is generating some controversy on Facebook from musicians — basically feeling like Amtrak/NNEPRA does not value musicians enough to pay them:
craigslist wrote:WANTED: Musician/ Vocalist for Downeaster Train Gig (Brunswick to Boston)

no pay

The Amtrak Downeaster (Brunswick, ME to Boston, MA) is looking for musician and/or a vocalist who is interested in playing onboard the Downeaster in the Great Dome Rail Car in exchange for tips, food, and train vouchers. The Dome Car will be travelling on the Amtrak Downeaster route between August 19 and September 24, 2017. Exact times and dates of gig TBD. If interested, please email a sample of your music, Subject Line: Downeaster Gig.
  by swist

I am a musician as well as a frequent DE rider. This kind of thing is all too common. Are we supposed to live on tips and train tickets? Professional musicians probably have more training and less income than most RR employees and the latter are not asked to work for tips and tickets.

I would encourage every musician I know to stay as far away from this as possible.
  by Greg Moore

Yeah, this is the whole, "But the exposure will make it all worthwhile!" Yeah.. that and 25 cents WON'T buy you a cup of coffee.

Whoever posted that ad should be ashamed.
You want a professional musician, PAY for it.

I had a friend who is a musician play at our wedding and our 20th anniversary. And I friggen paid him for his time. It's his job.
Amtrak/NNEPRA or whatever can do the same!
  by NRGeep

And count on the 20 something hipster and "blue eyed soul" cover musicians who playing for tips is the norm to take these "gigs". :(
  by MEC407

swist wrote:This kind of thing is all too common. Are we supposed to live on tips and train tickets?
Greg Moore wrote:Yeah, this is the whole, "But the exposure will make it all worthwhile!" Yeah.. that and 25 cents WON'T buy you a cup of coffee. Whoever posted that ad should be ashamed. You want a professional musician, PAY for it.
I agree. I know so many people who work in various creative fields — graphic design and music in particular — who are constantly asked/expected to do things for free. It's very insulting. Most of these professionals have student loans they need to pay off, rent/mortgage, family, etc. If they're good at their jobs, they don't need the "exposure" or yet another "resumé builder."

I know some musicians who are very good AND who charge very reasonable rates. Some of them even like trains. But I'm doubtful that any of them would want to spend 3.5 hours performing from Brunswick to Boston, and another 3.5 hours performing from Boston to Brunswick, with the compensation consisting only of a sandwich, can of soda, and Downeaster voucher.

As a train rider, I'm not sure I want musicians performing on the train at all. There's so much background noise already, in addition to the noise of the train itself. If I wanted to hear live music, I'd go to a show.

I'm sure someone at NNEPRA thought this was an awesome idea, and I applaud their effort to try something new/different, but I think they should skip it. Most of us bring our own music anyway, and I don't want to have to crank mine up to unsafe levels if I don't like the musician they hire.