• CMQ Motive power

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

by Dcl1332

Dcl1332 wrote:Saw photos that 9022 was on the Millinocket job today. It's the first time it's been out sence it was delivered. Info from Harry Gordon.
Well from what I am hearing 9022 first trip ran into trouble. Saw a pic of it smoking at what looks to be the church street crossing in Brownville junction and the fire department on the sence.
  by MC6853

GP38M-3 #3817 is in Silver Springs, NY on the interchange track between Rochester & Southern and Norfolk Southern... I'd assume it's on its way to Maine...
  by 690

Been sitting there for almost two weeks now... NS doesn't seem to be in any hurry to come get it.
  by oibu

^^If you haven't noticed, north or east of Harrisburg NS is never in any hurry to do much of anything :(
  by Dcl1332

Saw photos for 3817 running on job 710 yesterday. Good to see it up and running. Was wondering if any one may know any information about what LTEX unit it was rebuild from. I am guessing one of the GP35 that they got from BNSF but have not had any luck finding any info to look into its history. The only thing I have is that it could be ether LTEX 2503, 2506, 2541, 2580 because LTEX sent them to CAD then AMP to be rebuild for CMQ, but it could be another unit because 3816 was not one of those four units.
  by MEC407

Have they decided to keep the B23s after all, or are they still waiting for more GP38-2s to arrive and then they'll dump the B23s?
  by Dcl1332

MEC407 wrote:Have they decided to keep the B23s after all, or are they still waiting for more GP38-2s to arrive and then they'll dump the B23s?
To be honest and this is my option. I was just up there last week and was watching a number of the CMQ trains out of Brownville Junction and talking to other rail fans up there. One thing we agree on is that CMQ needs some more locomotives. So I do not think the active B23-7 are going anywhere soon. 2001 and 2005 may but both are out of service. When I was up there job 202 stalled out in Brownville yard one night amd couldn't get to the junction with out help, and job 1 one day and job 211 another day needed a lot of throttle get out of the yard, and took some time to get moving. Job 1 had 3 barns and 419 with 78 cars and job 211 had 6537, 2003, and 2004 with 65 cars.
  by oibu

Nice to see and hear that they are moving decent-sized trains again.
  by Dcl1332

oibu wrote:Nice to see and hear that they are moving decent-sized trains again.
Yes it is. Forgot to mention with job 1 that day it was originally 80 but they took two off at the last minute and had 1 53 foot containers. And from what I read today yesterday job 1 had 98 with 5 locomotives.
  by oibu

Hopefully they have succeeded in finally "rounding the corner"- which must have been an epic struggle- in bringing back traffic and customer trust that was continually eroded under Burkhardt and of course totally lost after the tragedy.

Certainly has been a different world after MNR took over their portion of BAR, but they didn't have nearly as direct ties to the problems as what CMQ management and employees have had to overcome, nor nearly as dark a shadow hanging over the operation.
  by Zeke

I agree. Mr.Giles and his team and I am sure most CMQ employees realized they were going to get one shot at reanimating what was essentially a streak of rust after the Megantic disaster. I find this story riveting as we watch the CMQ claw its way back to viability.
  by Dcl1332

Rumor I read on Facebook that CMQ has a pair of AC4400s heading to the Moosehead Sub for evaluation. No clue if it's true or not or if there lease or CMQ is going to buy them. Anyone able to confirm it. Last I knew they were looking into it new power.

Info from Thomas Coulombe.
  by 690

Dcl1332 wrote:Rumor I read on Facebook that CMQ has a pair of AC4400s heading to the Moosehead Sub for evaluation. No clue if it's true or not or if there lease or CMQ is going to buy them. Anyone able to confirm it. Last I knew they were looking into it new power.

I didn't post it on facebook, but anyway, yes, supposedly a pair of CEFX ones are heading to the Moosehead for evaluations. From the same group they had looked at several months ago.
  by Dcl1332

690 wrote:
Dcl1332 wrote:Rumor I read on Facebook that CMQ has a pair of AC4400s heading to the Moosehead Sub for evaluation. No clue if it's true or not or if there lease or CMQ is going to buy them. Anyone able to confirm it. Last I knew they were looking into it new power.

I didn't post it on facebook, but anyway, yes, supposedly a pair of CEFX ones are heading to the Moosehead for evaluations. From the same group they had looked at several months ago.
Hope it works out for them. They could use the power right now. There starting to look like a regional railroad with all the different locomotive power. And sorry about that I didn't notice that the link was to another website. And thanks for the info.