• Palmetto - Train 89 Incident

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by dumpster.penguin

(Neither of the linked Washington Post articles, when I checked them a minute ago, mentioned opioids in connection with the Amtrak engineer, although at the time the links were posted here the first headline may have.)
  by Nasadowsk

Apparently, the NTSB docket's human factors section says it was really a negative, apparently the EMTs gave him morphine on site, but it did throw the NTSB for a loop until they sorted it out. The weed part is still a positive though...
  by GirlOnTheTrain

dumpster.penguin wrote:(Neither of the linked Washington Post articles, when I checked them a minute ago, mentioned opioids in connection with the Amtrak engineer, although at the time the links were posted here the first headline may have.)
When I first read the article from WaPo, opiates were mentioned in a screaming headline. Obviously if EMS did give him morphine on scene, that would explain why he tested positive for opiates, and why the headline and content was modified.
  by DutchRailnut

maybe the opiates are explainable but the Marijuana ?? were still talking mayor infraction.
  by Backshophoss

Engineer may have gone to"Operation Redblock" after cut loose from the Hospital.(hopefully)
  by mmi16

Despite the marijuana the engineer performed his duties in accordance with the rules. In my mind, the proximate cause of the incident was the failure of the MofW Foremen to 'have their act together' coupled with the back hoe operator reporting for duty late and then 'apparently' putting the back hoe on #3 track without contacting the foreman to find out if Foul Protection had been granted on the track or not.
  by DutchRailnut

end result is not determined yet so despite the NTSB reports final outcome might not be clear yet.
  by Backshophoss

Beginning to believe the way the 3rd shift and 1st shift foremen handled the "transfer" between themselves was not done properly.
The "fouls" should have been "cleared" before the handoff to 1st shift,NOT after.
That's seems to be part of confusion during the "transfer".
  by Jehochman

mmi16 wrote:Despite the marijuana the engineer performed his duties in accordance with the rules. In my mind, the proximate cause of the incident was the failure of the MofW Foremen to 'have their act together' coupled with the back hoe operator reporting for duty late and then 'apparently' putting the back hoe on #3 track without contacting the foreman to find out if Foul Protection had been granted on the track or not.
Marijuana chemicals remain in the body for a long time. What is the rule if one goes to a state where pot is legal, and returns to work days or weeks later, unimpaired but with detectable traces?
  by electricron

Jehochman wrote:Marijuana chemicals remain in the body for a long time. What is the rule if one goes to a state where pot is legal, and returns to work days or weeks later, unimpaired but with detectable traces?
Employment rules for private companies remains the same whether or not what the laws are in the state.
Amtrak's rules for employment are the same nationally.
Amtrak (FRA) rules that apply: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c= ... 14&idno=49" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Specifically:

§219.102 Prohibition on abuse of controlled substances.
No employee who performs covered service may use a controlled substance at any time, whether on duty or off duty, except as permitted by §219.103.

§219.103 Prescribed and over-the-counter drugs.
(a) This subpart does not prohibit the use of a controlled substance (on Schedules II through V of the controlled substance list) prescribed or authorized by a medical practitioner, or possession incident to such use, if—
(1) The treating medical practitioner or a physician designated by the railroad has made a good faith judgment, with notice of the employee's assigned duties and on the basis of the available medical history, that use of the substance by the employee at the prescribed or authorized dosage level is consistent with the safe performance of the employee's duties;
(2) The substance is used at the dosage prescribed or authorized; and
(3) In the event the employee is being treated by more than one medical practitioner, at least one treating medical practitioner has been informed of all medications authorized or prescribed and has determined that use of the medications is consistent with the safe performance of the employee's duties (and the employee has observed any restrictions imposed with respect to use of the medications in combination).
(b) This subpart does not restrict any discretion available to the railroad to require that employees notify the railroad of therapeutic drug use or obtain prior approval for such use.

The FRA rules suggests someone could be prescribed marijuana for a medical condition with the railroads approval, if it is not listed under Schedule 1. But the Federal government lists marijuana under Schedule 1.
  by Head-end View

V-e-r-y i-n-t-e-r-e-s-t-i-n-g............ I'd like to see if the NTSB investigation comes up with the same conclusions that the Amtrak hearing board reached. If it does not, then we might wonder about Amtrak's politics. Stay tuned.......